Grand national (and Aintree festival in general)

MrMiyagi

Aye, no one's mentioned a sweep this year. Last year I had cash on the one that was a fucking mile out in the lead when a stray horse ran across the front of it and lead it into the rails. :lol:

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You're btter off having a quid on the sweep at work than having a bet on the National. Just a bit of fun though really I suppose.

Well last year's winner was quite predictable considering that the horse that won had won the Irish national by about a million lengths, so sometimes it's not always a randommer that wins.

Is 3s in decimal odds the same as 3/1? Fairly sure 3.00 decimal is 2/1.

:lol: I've never actually realised that before, I usually have the odds shown in fractional form but they were in decimal this time. Just as well I'm not a big gambler then.

Aye, no one's mentioned a sweep this year. Last year I had cash on the one that was a fucking mile out in the lead when a stray horse ran across the front of it and lead it into the rails. :D

:lol: I once had a placepot on, and my first 5 horses won. My last horse was an odds on fave, he had to place and I'd reap huge rewards. He lead over the second last, then fell at the last, despite being about 200m in front of any other horse. I was canny fucked off about the whole thing!

Supposed to be going to Cheltenham Fri May 4th/Sat May 5th...as I know sod all about horse racing, can anyone tell me if theres a horse racing meeting that weekend please? If so, I'll avoid the place like the plague!

Supposed to be going to Cheltenham Fri May 4th/Sat May 5th...as I know sod all about horse racing, can anyone tell me if theres a horse racing meeting that weekend please? If so, I'll avoid the place like the plague!

Nah, you're safe mate.

Have you tried looking on the Cheltenham Race Course website? Just a thought.

Cheltenham is a jumps course, they run from autumn to early spring there. Flat racing from spring to the end of summer.

Nah, you're safe mate.

Brilliant, cheers :lol:

Yes, if no one on here knew then that would have been my next plan! Didnt see any harm in asking on here first as this is a horsey racing thread.

Yes, if no one on here knew then that would have been my next plan! Didnt see any harm in asking on here first as this is a horsey racing thread.

I just thought it would have been a logical step :lol:

When I worked in the betting shops it was the one day of the year that the regulars would be nowhere to be seen. Even those with gambling addictions wouldn't bet on it. It was a nightmare before they scrapped the tax as well, people handing over £20 notes and asking for a '£1 win with the tax on please'.

Aye, it was pretty much seen as a mug's bet when I worked there an'all. National Day was horrendous though - queues out the door from the minute the place opened, and people turning up with their bet scrawled on post it notes and allsorts. "No, you'll have to put it on a betting slip."...."Eeeeee well how do I do that?"....."Can you even write? :D "

Amazing how many people had no grip of basic maths either:

"Yeah the tax is 10%"

"*blank stare* Well how much will that be on a fiver."

"*dumbfounded*"

:lol:

Aye, although it had dropped to 9% when I was there which caused all sorts of problems for people. Another beauty was people turning up 2 miuntes after the race had finished demanding their winnings, and the bookie promply pointing to his big fuck off pile of betting slips he had to get through.

When I worked in the betting shops it was the one day of the year that the regulars would be nowhere to be seen. Even those with gambling addictions wouldn't bet on it. It was a nightmare before they scrapped the tax as well, people handing over £20 notes and asking for a '£1 win with the tax on please'.

Aye, it was pretty much seen as a mug's bet when I worked there an'all. National Day was horrendous though - queues out the door from the minute the place opened, and people turning up with their bet scrawled on post it notes and allsorts. "No, you'll have to put it on a betting slip."...."Eeeeee well how do I do that?"....."Can you even write? :D "

"Yeah the tax is 10%"

"*dumbfounded*"

Aye, although it had dropped to 9% when I was there which caused all sorts of problems for people. Another beauty was people turning up 2 miuntes after the race had finished demanding their winnings, and the bookie promply pointing to his big fuck off pile of betting slips he had to get through.

Aye, that was a classic. "Has he settled this one yet?"........"Not yet. I'm sure he will do when they announce the result of the photo finish. *pulls spacka face* "

"Yeah the tax is 10%"

"*dumbfounded*"

Aye, that was a classic. "Has he settled this one yet?"........"Not yet. I'm sure he will do when they announce the result of the photo finish. *pulls spacka face* "

I worked with this mint old school bookie who just didn't give a shit, you'd get some nice old bloke politely asking if he'd settled the bet yet as he has to get home and make tea for his frail wife and he'd answer 'tell the old cunt to fuck off' really loudly. Ledge. :D

BJ Ketchum Races in the 2pm at Aintree today. He's being pretty heavily backed, you can still get him at 2s if you go to the right places. I really can't see any other horse winning this!

Finished 2nd, but a very long way back.

Mighty Man won.

BJ Ketchum Races in the 2pm at Aintree today. He's being pretty heavily backed, you can still get him at 2s if you go to the right places. I really can't see any other horse winning this!

Finished 2nd, but a very long way back.

Mighty Man won.

Aware :D McCoys fault. Incapable piece of shit :lol:

To be fair it was barely hot inside information. A lot of the betting community felt the same way as me as he went off favourite despite not being forecast to do so.

I honestly think McCoy wasn't taking the early fences well enough and on another day BJK would have dicked it

Got Naunton Brook in the works sweep. 50-1. :lol:

And to make things worse The Fish has tipped it, unlucky.

As long as he hasn't sat on it. You'll all be laughing on the other sides of your faces when it romps home!

Here,s the latest runners and odds if anyones interested.

http://www.equine-world.co.uk/aintree_gran...etting_odds.htm

Good luck what ever you bet ..the wife goes for colours and names and always gets a place in the national

think Ill start doin the same cos studying the form never seems to work for me :lol:

My office sweep has given me Thisthatandtother at about 100/1.. grr.

Though I've also put in a quid for the lass who sits next to me who isn't in today and she's got Slim Pickings at around 33/1 so if that does any better she never needs to know..