Gooch Onyewu, keep him on or get rid ?

Jimbo

Keep Gooch or not ?  

56 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

he's no muppet but his decision making and passing are shite...

good in the air and fairly quick, and can tackle.

needs guidance and a good coach to learn from...

Coming from the Belgian league I would expect that to be a problem at first, it'll take time to adapt to the pace of the PL and the need to make decisions much more quickly but we've no guarantees that he will be able to adapt.

He's never had a chance for the reasons Gemmill covered, he wasn't given a run in the team, he's played in an ever changing back 4 when he has appeared and he's played in a pretty poor team being badly managed!

From what i've seen i'm not sure, he certainly has made a few mistakes and has struggled with the ball at his feet alot. I don't think i'd risk the money myself but had Roeder used him properly then i may have ben able to give him a btter look.

The problem we have is that we could see him, Moore and Bramble all leave and whatever you think of any of them, that's alot of CB's to replace on top of the 2 fullbacks we need, and whatever else we require in midfield!

I hope he leaves. He'll get better development as a player elsewhere. NUFC needs someone who has already developed as we're hopeless in bringning along a defensive talent.

This isn't some 17 yearold fledgling talent Zath, the "kid" is nearly 25, he's either good enough or he isn't.

He's nearly 25 but the American player develops a lot later. They don't generally become professional players until age 22 at least. Look at McBride; his best years have been the wrong side of 30.

I hope he leaves. He'll get better development as a player elsewhere. NUFC needs someone who has already developed as we're hopeless in bringning along a defensive talent.

This isn't some 17 yearold fledgling talent Zath, the "kid" is nearly 25, he's either good enough or he isn't.

He's nearly 25 but the American player develops a lot later. They don't generally become professional players until age 22 at least. Look at McBride; his best years have been the wrong side of 30.

:D Thats hilarious ! So we'll see a world class Freddy Adu by the time he hits 50 ?

For reasons already expressed by others, I don't think he's had a fair crack o' the whip in a stable back four.

I think a run of 3 games as a starting central defender along with Taylor, with Nobby on the right and either Carr or Babayaro on the left should establish whether he has any merit to be kept on.

It's not like he's a novice such Edgar, Hunty, or Damage, he's got some World Cup, International, and Belgian League experience on his track-record which should lend him some credence but if he can't show his worth in 3 games on the trot then I say dump him.

He hasn't impressed me tbh. We need someone who will be able to lead our back line in the premiership and I don't believe he's up to that at the minute.

He may well be a solid premiership defender in the future but we can't afford to wait for that to happen (which it probably wouldn't with our coaches).

As DK says, he isn't a leader, and while he hasn't been poor. He certainly hasn't stood out above everyone else.

The problem with that is, we without doubt need a leader at the back. Taylor isn't one, but it's blatantly obvious that Freddy and Roeder are big fans of his, and like it or not, he'll probably be first choice centre half for the next 10 years at the club. We need a leader to play alongside him. I was thinking of someone with top flight experience and a cool head. The I though of Tony Adams. Then I thought of Sol Campbell. Then I got a bit sad.