Importing Stuff,

Tom

I want to import This from America but im not sure if it's worth doing or would work out... :D

The price in America is $1,469.99 whereas in England it is £1300....

So im not sure it it would be worth importing or what the costs of shipping and tax would be..

Any ideas? :panic:

get someone on face book to bring it across with them...

they already do a taxi...thing, maybe they'll do a courier...thing.

I want to import This from America but im not sure if it's worth doing or would work out... :panic:

The price in America is $1,469.99 whereas in England it is £1300....

So im not sure it it would be worth importing or what the costs of shipping and tax would be..

Any ideas? :(

I dunno the tax can be pretty huge on some things..... but it sometimes seems hit and miss whether things get taxed at all. :D (actually since the point of origin VAT thing it might not be so bad.... but don't quote me ::icon_lol:)

Yeh its just so expensive to buy in the UK so im thinking importing it might be the best way :D

I cant see the tax being that massive..

You'll have to get whoever you are buying it from to mark it down in value and mark it as a gift or it will get pulled.

Only downside is that if they mark it down in value, if it goes missing you can only claim on the value declared (around $50)

Anything over £18 is eligible for import tax (£36 for gifts)

Worked out as follows:

First the customs duty gets added - 3.5%

The the VAT is added - 17.5%

Then there is a courier admin charge.

Current admin charges stand at

* Royal Mail £4.00 (RM site )

* Parcelforce - £8 for standard parcels, £13.50 for high value (> €1000) and express parcels.

* DHL £1.25 or 2% (whichever is greater) for non-business users (DHL site - Information - About Duty & Vat for more information).

* UPS is £11or 2.5% (whichever is greater) UPS site in section marked "Disbursements"

* FedEx personal handling charge is £4.50 as of Dec03. If you have been charged more than this, you have probably been charged the business rate and should query this

Just some quick sums

$1470 = £746.65

£746.65 + 3.5% = £772.78

£772.78 + VAT = £908.02

Admin charges after that make it £950 at the most. Still a massive saving but probably not as much as you were expecting.

You'll have to get whoever you are buying it from to mark it down in value and mark it as a gift or it will get pulled.

Only downside is that if they mark it down in value, if it goes missing you can only claim on the value declared (around $50)

Anything over £18 is eligible for import tax (£36 for gifts)

Worked out as follows:

First the customs duty gets added - 3.5%

The the VAT is added - 17.5%

Then there is a courier admin charge.

Current admin charges stand at

* Royal Mail £4.00 (RM site )

* Parcelforce - £8 for standard parcels, £13.50 for high value (> €1000) and express parcels.

* DHL £1.25 or 2% (whichever is greater) for non-business users (DHL site - Information - About Duty & Vat for more information).

* UPS is £11or 2.5% (whichever is greater) UPS site in section marked "Disbursements"

* FedEx personal handling charge is £4.50 as of Dec03. If you have been charged more than this, you have probably been charged the business rate and should query this

Just some quick sums

$1470 = £746.65

£746.65 + 3.5% = £772.78

£772.78 + VAT = £908.02

Admin charges after that make it £950 at the most. Still a massive saving but probably not as much as you were expecting.

Cheers man, Nice one.

I think for the saving it's probably not worth the risk,

There is allways the shipping risk but also guitars can occasionally react quite badly to climate change so thats another risk.

It's just with it being a signiture model its about £400 overpriced so the saving was neccessary.

My son ordered a load of stuff from Hong Kong, (radio control car and gear etc) It was so much cheaper from them. It did get stopped by customs as it was a large package, he had to pay £30 which still worked out cheaper by far. The delivery only took a week.

Summer of work.

£300 From Selling a bass..

As of the last two years ive been playing this so its not really a step up,

Just maintaining the standard, plus ive got a bunch of fenders (because they are cheap/value)

Edited by T-Keith

How can you afford somthing like that yet still have to nick your flatmates' cider?

Aye....notice a lot of this goes on. Can you imagine his flatmates face after he's been losing cider left right and centre all term due to cries of poverty....only for Thomas to tip up with a brand new £1000 guitar! :D

Edited by manc-mag

To be fair though im the only one in the house who pays his own rent(their parents pay) so im not fussed if there music gear is massively inferior. :D

To be fair though im the only one in the house who pays his own rent(their parents pay) so im not fussed if there music gear is massively inferior. :D

What's paying your own rent got to do with ripping off their drink when you blatently can afford to bathe in champagne though?

Seriously, when I was a student I couldn't even imagine buying anything for a thousand quid, in fact, I's still have to really think about it!

What's paying your own rent got to do with ripping off their drink when you blatently can afford to bathe in champagne though?

Seriously, when I was a student I couldn't even imagine buying anything for a thousand quid, in fact, I's still have to really think about it!

I never buy clothes and rarely good food, i dont have consoles or any of that shit i just buy guitars, to be fair im fucking skint but i did say that a summers work and the sale of a bass is paying for it....

Possibly another £200-400 on the overdraft..

Plus im going to wait till about september/november so that the price dips a bit...

Therefore it would cost around £900,

Hmm not a bad plan but id need a place to stay and stuff

Youth hostel? Obviously that sort of thing would be beneath me, but you're a scruffy long-haired fucker, so it would be fine for you. :D Add a hundred dollars for digs and some scran for one night and you're sorted. It would make good interview fodder for your first spread in NME too. :panic:

Youth hostel? Obviously that sort of thing would be beneath me, but you're a scruffy long-haired fucker, so it would be fine for you. :D Add a hundred dollars for digs and some scran for one night and you're sorted. It would make good interview fodder for your first spread in NME too. :panic:

:(

Might be worth a shot like,

how longs the flight, 7 hours or something?

Take a friend and get them to pay. :D

:panic:

Theres a plan.

He can get the cider too

I've imported lots of guitars, shipping damage has never been a problem.

If you can find a Les Paul case to take out with you, put a piece of crap in it (a Vintage or something), dump that and bring the new one back. Customs see you go out with a guitar and they see you come back. They're are a canny bunch though so be careful.

Also: I don't think Musician's Friend sell to non-USA customers. Maybe buy it off ebay from a decent US based trader.

Shipping normally works out around $100-120.

Just some ideas.

Youth hostel? Obviously that sort of thing would be beneath me, but you're a scruffy long-haired fucker, so it would be fine for you. :panic: Add a hundred dollars for digs and some scran for one night and you're sorted. It would make good interview fodder for your first spread in NME too. :(

Hey :icon_lol: Although I have the long hair, I'm not 'scruffy' :D I stayed in a Youth Hostel in Bath recently, it was just fine. Infact, it was a really beautiful building!

http://www.yha.org.uk/find-accommodation/s...bath/index.aspx

Youth hostel? Obviously that sort of thing would be beneath me, but you're a scruffy long-haired fucker, so it would be fine for you. :panic: Add a hundred dollars for digs and some scran for one night and you're sorted. It would make good interview fodder for your first spread in NME too. :(

Hey :icon_lol: Although I have the long hair, I'm not 'scruffy' :D I stayed in a Youth Hostel in Bath recently, it was just fine. Infact, it was a really beautiful building!

I don't do anything less than 4 stars tbh. Youth hostels indeed! Pah!

Youth hostel? Obviously that sort of thing would be beneath me, but you're a scruffy long-haired fucker, so it would be fine for you. :( Add a hundred dollars for digs and some scran for one night and you're sorted. It would make good interview fodder for your first spread in NME too. :icon_lol:

Hey :P Although I have the long hair, I'm not 'scruffy' :D I stayed in a Youth Hostel in Bath recently, it was just fine. Infact, it was a really beautiful building!

I don't do anything less than 4 stars tbh. Youth hostels indeed! Pah!

Jesus :wub: live alittle :panic:

Though im staying here soon, which does look very special.

http://www.oldmansehotel.com/