Eriksson heads list to replace Roeder at unsettled Newcastle

Jimbo

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/foo...icle1642705.ece

Matt Dickinson, Chief Football Correspondent

Sven-Göran Eriksson is in line for a return to management at Newcastle United this summer. The former England head coach, who has been out of work since the World Cup finals, is understood to be high on the list of Freddy Shepherd, the Newcastle chairman, if he decides to bring an end to Glenn Roeder’s reign.

The decision on Roeder’s future will not be taken until the end of the season, but Newcastle are showing no signs of establishing themselves as a force in the Barclays Premiership and Eriksson is open to offers after the collapse of his proposed move to Marseilles.

The Swede had a deal to take over in the South of France and there had been attempts to recruit David Beckham before his decision to join Los Angeles Galaxy, but that was dependent on Jack Kachkar, a pharmaceuticals millionaire, buying Marseilles. Robert Louis-Dreyfus, the present owner, pulled out when Kachkar, who is involved in complicated litigation in the United States, failed to provide certain guarantees.

Eriksson is desperate to return to work in the close season. The deal that he negotiated with the Football Association when he agreed to stand down after the World Cup in Germany, and under which he is still being paid £6,500 a week, expires in June.

Related Links

Owen back with goal for Newcastle

Roeder focusing on long-term plans

While his stock in England suffered after a third successive quarter-final exit at a leading tournament, his record at club level — including championships in Sweden, Portugal and Italy — once led to interest from Chelsea and Manchester United. There seems little chance of Chelsea renewing the chase, even if they decide to dispense with José Mourinho this summer.

Although Eriksson would prefer to return to a club in the Champions League — or even the Uefa Cup, which he won with Gothenburg in 1982 — Newcastle may be his best option. Shepherd had courted him when the club were stuttering at the start of the season and The Times understands that another approach has been made to Eriksson’s representatives, even if that is sure to be denied by both parties.

Shepherd, as always, is hoping to keep his options open and predicting his next move is never easy. He chased Steve McClaren, Steve Bruce and Sam Allardyce before unexpectedly offering the manager’s job to Graeme Souness in 2004. He then dismissed Souness and gave the job to the unproven Roeder after pursuing Martin O’Neill.

The chairman also has a habit of dismissing managers a few matches into a new campaign — the fate that befell Kenny Dalglish, Ruud Gullit and Sir Bobby Robson, who was shown the door after finishing fifth in the Premiership.

Eriksson may be the favourite, but there are other names under consideration, with Alan Pardew, the Charlton Athletic manager, another surprising contender. It has long been thought that Alan Shearer would assume the reins at St James’ Park, but he has been content to pursue a career in broadcasting.

Roeder has suffered terrible luck with injuries this season but Newcastle, a club who have become synonymous with underachievement, are no closer to ending their run of 38 years without a leading trophy, going back to the Fairs Cup in 1969. Shepherd has heard demands for his resignation despite spending large sums on transfers, including the club-record fee of £16 million to sign Michael Owen from Real Madrid and making him one of the highest-paid players in the country.

With plans to increase the stadium capacity to at least 60,000, Shepherd must make sure he can fill it after another season of disillusionment on Tyneside. Eriksson may not be many people’s perfect solution, but Shepherd is giving serious consideration to the idea.

I think he a country mile better than the last two. Wouldnt be too upset if we got him tbh. It would be nice to see Fred have the spine to do what is necessary this summer rather than wait until September again.

I think he a country mile better than the last two. Wouldnt be too upset if we got him tbh. It would be nice to see Fred have the spine to do what is necessary this summer rather than wait until September again.

Exactly, have enough bottle to sack Roeder at the end of the season and give Eriksson the preseason required to establish himself, rather than dithering until September/October to do what we all know needs to be done.

Shepherd, as always, is hoping to keep his options open and predicting his next move is never easy. He chased Steve McClaren, Steve Bruce and Sam Allardyce before unexpectedly offering the manager’s job to Graeme Souness in 2004. He then dismissed Souness and gave the job to the unproven Roeder after pursuing Martin O’Neill.

The chairman also has a habit of dismissing managers a few matches into a new campaign — the fate that befell Kenny Dalglish, Ruud Gullit and Sir Bobby Robson, who was shown the door after finishing fifth in the Premiership.

Well they have FFS's number all right. :D

As for Sven I'm totally bemused as to what he actually DOES as a manager (besides get paid a lot and shag), for England certainly he just played the team of fit players most pub pundits would have picked, rarely made a pro-active tactical change and basically seemed to just sit there and hope it all worked out (apart from in the last WC where he seems to have gone a bit senile in his squad selection).

In fact he seems like a slicker (and more expensive) version of what Roeder gets criticism for tbh. :panic:

As for Sven I'm totally bemused as to what he actually DOES as a manager (besides get paid a lot and shag), for England certainly he just played the team of fit players most pub pundits would have picked, rarely made a pro-active tactical change and basically seemed to just sit there and hope it all worked out (apart from in the last WC where he seems to have gone a bit senile in his squad selection).

In fact he seems like a slicker (and more expensive) version of what Roeder gets criticism for tbh. :panic:

I agree that he doesn't seem to do much on the management side of things but he must know what he's doing to have the CV he does.

His time at England isn't really a good guide to how he'll manage if he did come here. It was pretty clear that he was looking for a way out soon around 2003ish.

I agree that he doesn't seem to do much on the management side of things but he must know what he's doing to have the CV he does.

His time at England isn't really a good guide to how he'll manage if he did come here. It was pretty clear that he was looking for a way out soon around 2003ish.

Whatever he does, his record with England in competitive matches was excellent.

Whatever he does, his record with England in competitive matches was excellent.

I guess there's the "I'd rather be a lucky manager than a good one" thing..... who knows we've tried most everything else.

He wouldn't be cheap though, and without a massive rebuilding budget I'd be very skeptical at what he could really achieve (well besides :icon_lol: anyway :().

We as supporters would have to be prepared for dour football if Sven was employed as the toon manager. All his success has been in leagues where defensive football is king. Always a 4-4-2 with a diamond shape mid-field. Also he is one of those managers that seems to rate Dyer, would he get the best out of him or always pick him because he is a favourite?

The other thing is what sort of backroom staff would he be allowed to employ? Would he bring back the swedish connection or be made work with the current clowns?

As the lads and lasses in the Ticket Office stuff the season ticket renewal forms into envelopes I can hear the Byker Bullshitter bellowing to his PR people ... "Say we are in talks to bring Erikson to the Toon. When you've done that get Pardew on the phone".

Predictable! :D

Frankly I thought the Swede was more of a Turnip as England's manager.

Too late substitutions and player favouritism is akin to Roeder, his insistance in playing an unfit, out of form, below par Beckham was diabolical.

His inability to see that Lampard & Gerrard did not make a suitable pair in midfield was abysmal and his clone McClaren is following in his footsteps to failure.

Edited by Noelie

Thing is, I'm not saying Roeder is the man for the job - don't think he should have been appointed in the first place - but to not even give him two full seasons? Not really giving the man a chance, is it? FS probably realises he shouldn't have given him the role in the first place. Not exactly over the moon about the thought of Sven coming here either.

Thing is, I'm not saying Roeder is the man for the job - don't think he should have been appointed in the first place - but to not even give him two full seasons? Not really giving the man a chance, is it? FS probably realises he shouldn't have given him the role in the first place. Not exactly over the moon about the thought of Sven coming here either.

I agree. I can't see Roeder succeeding, but I don't see the point in another appointment that isn't totally thought through in the mere hope of being lucky. They should get rid of Roeder if they really can get an inspirational manager of a high calibre in (and I even would put someone like Allardyce on the list).

Chairman Shoots Down Sven Story

NEWCASTLE United chairman Freddy Shepherd has dismissed reports linking Sven-Goran Eriksson with a move to St. James' Park.

One national newspaper carried a back page story on Thursday morning saying the former England coach was being lined up for the Magpies' managerial position in the summer.

But such talk was emphatically dismissed by Mr Shepherd.

He told nufc.co.uk: "This story is absolute rubbish and I have absolutely no idea where it has come from.

"I have never spoken to Sven since he was England manager and I don't have any plans to speak to him."

Chairman Shoots Down Sven Story

NEWCASTLE United chairman Freddy Shepherd has dismissed reports linking Sven-Goran Eriksson with a move to St. James' Park.

One national newspaper carried a back page story on Thursday morning saying the former England coach was being lined up for the Magpies' managerial position in the summer.

But such talk was emphatically dismissed by Mr Shepherd.

He told nufc.co.uk: "This story is absolute rubbish and I have absolutely no idea where it has come from.

"I have never spoken to Sven since he was England manager and I don't have any plans to speak to him."

That'll be Sven installed in the morning then.....

but to not even give him two full seasons? Not really giving the man a chance, is it?

Perhaps he would've been given more of a chance if he had've started doing his job last summer instead of "scouring Europe" yet buying nobody. :panic:

What's more worrying than the talk of Eriksson is the chance that Pardew could be our next manager. :D

but to not even give him two full seasons? Not really giving the man a chance, is it?

Perhaps he would've been given more of a chance if he had've started doing his job last summer instead of "scouring Europe" yet buying nobody. :panic:

What's more worrying than the talk of Eriksson is the chance that Pardew could be our next manager. :D

Take your pick from the likes of Coleman, Bruce, Pardew, Strachan etc

Watch us waste a fortune on more trophy signings yet not even enquire about top managers who are arguably the most important part of a team.