Eriksson heads list to replace Roeder at unsettled Newcastle

Jimbo

Chairman Shoots Down Sven Story

NEWCASTLE United chairman Freddy Shepherd has dismissed reports linking Sven-Goran Eriksson with a move to St. James' Park.

One national newspaper carried a back page story on Thursday morning saying the former England coach was being lined up for the Magpies' managerial position in the summer.

But such talk was emphatically dismissed by Mr Shepherd.

He told nufc.co.uk: "This story is absolute rubbish and I have absolutely no idea where it has come from.

"I have never spoken to Sven since he was England manager and I don't have any plans to speak to him."

It's a far cry from the usual "We already have a manager in Glenn Roeder, who will be here next season". In fact, he doesn't deny any managerial changes at all!

Newcastle United have blasted reports that Sven-Goran Eriksson is to become their next manager as "sheer and utter garbage."

This was in response to a report in one of our leading national papers today saying that the former England boss was in line to replace Glenn Roeder.

Nothing could be further from the truth - Roeder will definitely be in charge of United at the start of next season.

And talk that there is a list compiled of possible replacements for Roeder, including Charlton's Alan Pardew, is simply not true.

Indeed, Roeder and Freddy Shepherd have already taken positive steps to bring in some much-needed new blood to St James' Park for next season.

A bemused Shepherd told me today: "Is it April Fools Day today? Any talk of Sven-Goran Eriksson, or anyone else for that matter, coming as manager to St James' Park is sheer and utter garbage.

"I have not spoken to Sven since he left the England job and I have no intention of speaking to him.

"Neither have I spoken to his agent

Athole Still or Tord Grip and, as far as I am aware, they have not approached us.

"In any case, if they did it would not matter a jot because we already have a manager."

The Chronicle even predicted on Tuesday night that "Erikkson for United" talk would appear, after the man who was his No 2 with England, Tord Grip, sat in the directors' box for Monday's goalless draw with Arsenal.

But Grip, whose daughter lives in York and whose son is at Newcastle University, was a guest of Arsenal vice-chairman David Dein - who was the man responsible for giving Eriksson the England job.

Newcastle United have blasted reports that Sven-Goran Eriksson is to become their next manager as "sheer and utter garbage."

This was in response to a report in one of our leading national papers today saying that the former England boss was in line to replace Glenn Roeder.

Nothing could be further from the truth - Roeder will definitely be in charge of United at the start of next season.

And talk that there is a list compiled of possible replacements for Roeder, including Charlton's Alan Pardew, is simply not true.

Indeed, Roeder and Freddy Shepherd have already taken positive steps to bring in some much-needed new blood to St James' Park for next season.

A bemused Shepherd told me today: "Is it April Fools Day today? Any talk of Sven-Goran Eriksson, or anyone else for that matter, coming as manager to St James' Park is sheer and utter garbage.

"I have not spoken to Sven since he left the England job and I have no intention of speaking to him.

"Neither have I spoken to his agent

Athole Still or Tord Grip and, as far as I am aware, they have not approached us.

"In any case, if they did it would not matter a jot because we already have a manager."

The Chronicle even predicted on Tuesday night that "Erikkson for United" talk would appear, after the man who was his No 2 with England, Tord Grip, sat in the directors' box for Monday's goalless draw with Arsenal.

But Grip, whose daughter lives in York and whose son is at Newcastle University, was a guest of Arsenal vice-chairman David Dein - who was the man responsible for giving Eriksson the England job.

:lol: Either all of it or none of it please Mr Pieman.

Never fucking learns does he? :D:lol:

Edited by Bizza

an honest shepherd commented:

"we already have a manager, who we are 'planning' to sack in august or september. we'll get rid of roeder after he's spent all our cash in the summer and a few days after the transfer window has closed so we can appoint someone of the barry fry and give him no money to spend. if we did any different what would people argue about on toontastic?"

is arthur cox available. i hear he's a good coach.

realistically until the chairman actually gets proper players of the standard we require in it does not matter who manages to a greater or lesser extent.

we do however need to get rid of the overpaid dross, and replace with good proven players that can do a job in their positions. and that want to play for the team.

eriksson would turn our team into a more defensively orientated version of what we have. unless given the cash to get decent players in, which given our current predicament financially, would not make sense for him.

realistically until the chairman actually gets proper players of the standard we require in it does not matter who manages to a greater or lesser extent.

Sorry but that is absolute bollocks.

Sorry but that is absolute bollocks.

sorry but i was waffling a bit there..... some of the players we have shouldn't be in the premier league. fact, and glenns favourite players are not necessarily the ones i'd want to see playing in the black and white of my team.

we need proper players not square pegs in round holes like carr, ramage, luque, and babyaro.