Roeder praise for Carroll

Scottish Mag

Glenn Roeder felt the display of Andrew Carroll was a rare bright spot in Newcastle's defeat to Portsmouth.

The Magpies were second best in almost every department and the 2-1 win for Pompey did not flatter the hosts.

Roeder opted to throw on Carroll at half-time and the giant striker ruffled a few feathers in the second-half.

The Magpies chief was hugely disappointed with the team's display, but reserved praise for the 18-year-old.

"Big Andy has come on and has helped change things," Roeder told the club's official website.

"It's no coincidence we looked a far better side in the second half.

"His hold up play was excellent and he found a black and white shirt every time he touched the ball.

"He's a great lad and hopefully we'll see a lot more of Andy Carroll over the next few years at Newcastle United."

so why the fuck haven't we seen more of him if his hold up play is excellent and he actually passes to our own players?

y'know as we haven't been particularly impressive in those regards?

so why the fuck haven't we seen more of him if his hold up play is excellent and he actually passes to our own players?

Probably the same reason 18 year olds aren't dominating most teams tbh.

no, probably not... in fact

18yr olds are not "dominating" other teams because those teams have superior players in their respective positions.

Have we a striker who holds up the ball and passes it to a man in Black and White consistently? have we fuck

no go make mischief elsewhere you sarcy get! :ok:

no, probably not... in fact

18yr olds are not "dominating" other teams because those teams have superior players in their respective positions.

Have we a striker who holds up the ball and passes it to a man in Black and White consistently? have we fuck

no go make mischief elsewhere you sarcy get! :ok:

Aye a bit of common sense and reason has no place here, eh? :jesuswept:

Of course a few bad games and there'd be people wanting him hung. :jesuswept:

A Carroll-Owen/Martins partnership could work in a year or two. We need someone who can hold the ball up.

Without a doubt, we could do with bringing in a quality forward that can do just that (been saying that all season), but you've got to be exceptionally lucky to find an 18 year old that can consistently do that, even IF in a few years he turns out to be a very good player that can consistently do that.

For every Rooney, Fowler and Owen there's a 100 more than don't perform that well at that age, even if they do turn into quality players later, and probably 1000 more that look like they have potential only to turn into nothing special.

Heard a bit of inside info re: Carroll. He's rated at the club but on the odd occasion he's made the bench/come on as sub he's been shitting himself to the extent that his knees were literally knocking together. I think in fairness to Roeder he's breaking the lad in gently (euphemism-tastic) ARSTBH.

Edited by alex

Heard a bit of inside info re: Carroll. He's rated at the club but on the odd occasion he's made the bench/come on as sub he's been shitting himself to the extent that his knees were literally knocking together. I think in fairness to Roeder he's breaking the lad in gently (euphemism-tastic) ARSTBH.

That wouldn't surprise me, again it is a usual problem with kids, there aren't many that can just come in and play (to their best) in such a situation. Even all the talent in the world doesn't help if you're paralyzed by nerves.

Especially at the moment if he has a really shocker and starts getting stick for it.

I mean even if Roeder had only played FM as his ONLY experience, I'm fairly sure if he'd had Rooney (who was, of course, used sparingly at Everton) sat there he'd have been used more often.

It wasn't that long ago that people were tearing strips off for not using Luque, but he's never looked remotely interested and if he was 1/2 that bad off the competitive pitch it's no wonder he wasn't played (which from Shearer's and others comments would seem to have been the case).

If that's true then I'd say the best thing to do now that we've nothing to play for is to tell him 5 minutes before the Blackburn game that he's starting and get his full debut over before he has time to worry about it.

Well, I'd be all for playing the lad quite a lot between now and the end of the season as we've got nowt to play for really.

If he is suffering from nerves and IS that good, it'd be sensible to bring him on, although I dunno about a full game, but equally it's pointless to get him experience at the potential expense of results as league position still matters psychologically and (I believe) financially.

Although again I can't see it doing him much good in that context in bad games full of discontent, only likely to make things like nerves worse.

Aye but for his debut he could pick an easier game than Chelsea and the Reading game is away which I'm not too sure would make him more or less nervous.

Start him Reading away maybe. Less nerve-racking than a home debut. I've already said that I think Roeder has done the right thing by not rushing him but you've got to overcome those nerves sometime and games with little riding on them (from a Toon perspective) are probably the best ones.