In-demand Sidwell set to make summer switch to Newcastle

Scottish Mag

Steve Sidwell is likely to leave the Madejski Stadium and move to Newcastle United this summer. Sidwell has attracted the interest of a number of Premiership clubs, but Newcastle have emerged as favourites to sign the former Arsenal trainee.

Although Aston Villa, Everton, Middlesbrough, Manchester City and Spurs have all been monitoring the situation, it is believed that preliminary talks have already been held with Newcastle and that Sidwell favours a move to the north-east.

The Newcastle manager, Glenn Roeder, believes Sidwell will add energy and steel to his team. At 24, Sidwell is also the right age to freshen up Newcastle's midfield.

The move could come under jeopardy if there was a managerial change at Newcastle this summer but, despite speculation linking Sven-Goran Eriksson with the club, it is likely that Roeder will still be in charge at the beginning of next season.

Sidwell is out of contract at the end of this season and, after he failed to agree new terms, Coppell has resigned himself to finding a replacement. He will, though, continue to pick the midfielder. "If Siddy goes I've got to get at least one more in and maybe two - I'll play Siddy again definitely," said Coppell.

Sidwell was left out of Saturday's 1-0 win against Fulham, with Brynar Gunnarsson staking his claim for a place in the centre of Reading's midfield.

"He [sidwell] has been playing all the games up until now and it's up to me to show I can do a job there," said Gunnarsson. "It's more than likely that Steve is leaving and that leaves me and James Harper in the midfield. Obviously the manager will buy one or get another player in, but if I do all right from now until the end of the season, I think I have a chance. I'd love to stay there [in central midfield] for the last four games."

Roeder will tonight get a chance to assess the fitness of Michael Owen who is expected to play his first competitive match in 10 months when Newcastle's reserves travel to Middlesbrough. But the striker's return is in danger of being overshadowed by a bitter political battle.

Owen, who could well make his first-team comeback at home to Chelsea on Sunday, finds himself caught in the middle of a club versus country row between Freddy Shepherd, Newcastle's chairman, and the Football Association.

Dissatisfied with the amount of compensation his club has received from football's ruling body in the wake of the serious knee injury Owen sustained playing for England in the last World Cup, Shepherd has threatened to seek an injunction preventing the FA from selecting the striker for the May friendly against Brazil at Wembley and the European Championship qualifer in Estonia in June.

Although the FA's insurers have paid Newcastle £50,000 a week since Owen's collapse last June, that represents just under half his weekly salary and the Tyneside club's insurance company has had to cover the remainder. Shepherd has also received about £1.5m from Fifa as compensation. Shepherd engaged the FA's help to persuade Fifa to cough up.

Having banked up to £6m in insurance pay-outs and compensation for Owen's absence, this dictates that Newcastle's chairman - who originally demanded £20m in recompense from the FA - will base any injunction on the FA's failure to meet the striker's £150,000 medical bills.

Meanwhile Newcastle, who are also likely to field Shola Ameobi, fit again after a hip operation, tonight will be without Damien Duff for the remainder of the campaign due to an ankle injury.

Edited by Scottish Mag

Why would Sidwell leave a team that is well above NUFC, has a settled manager and owner and where he is a star

to come to a mediocre rabble which is about to change its manager , is run by FFS and where he will be just one of the squad???

Why would Sidwell leave a team that is well above NUFC, has a settled manager and owner and where he is a star

to come to a mediocre rabble which is about to change its manager , is run by FFS and where he will be just one of the squad???

£££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££

Rob loves Reading btw :ok:

I deal with people who support them so I get an earful often...........

even the bloody Villain I work with is boasting this week................... :jesuswept::jesuswept::jesuswept:

Still Reading have shown that you don't need a bllody Abramovitch to have a decent stadium and a good, attractive team

But then Madejeski is a bloody sight cleverer than FFS :jesuswept::jesuswept::jesuswept:

Because he's a greedy twat, who believes he is of an ability much greater than his own.

Because he's a greedy twat, who believes he is of an ability much greater than his own.

Will he still be a twat if he joins Newcastle?

No but you will be :ok:

No but you will be :jesuswept:

:ok:

Taken your lass dogging today Thompers?

No, but the night is young. :jesuswept:

So is your lass (paedo) :jesuswept:

So is your lass (paedo) :jesuswept:

:jesuswept:

Brock, do you think Reading will be keeping Murty now you've signed Halford?

Obviously we could do with a rightback, (should have been in for Halford ourselves tbh), you can't play both of them and Murty is north-east born.

Murty won't be leaving Reading, but he'd be a brilliant signing for the toon. Really surprised how he stepped up his game for the Prem (given he used to be shite a few seasons ago). Getting on a bit though so wouldn't be a long term investment.

Halford can play in the midfield and in defence, so he's more of a buy for the future/utility man.

And yes Sidwell will still be a twat at the toon. It's bad enough I have to watch him pass to the opposition or scuff a shot out for a throw-in already, now I'll have to do see him do it in black & white. :ok:

He's a great player on his day, it's just frustrating that it rarely seems to be his day. Certainly isn't deserving of a 25k contract, let alone what silly money he'll be getting now.