Sailing

Toonraider

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Had a little speed boat once, not too expensive and fun, but difficult to get around to using. :ok:

Be nice to have something like you're talking about though, but you're right that mooring can be very expensive and in some places just not available at all (dead mens shoes really).

Yeah, ideally it would be best to buy the boat with the mooring, especially down here. We've been looking at prices...Torquay and Brixham marinas....anything from £1500-£3000 a year. The inner working harbours are cheaper but then you rely on tide times at Brixham to use the thing! Outer harbour at Brixham is much more affordable, £650 a year approx, not bad at all, if you use the boat regularly, if you just leave it there doing nothing its a waste. You can join a sailing club and use those little boats and store it there though thats not really what we want.

We could keep the boat up the yard where our garage is, but its a pain to have to take it out each time we fancy a sail.

Not sailing, but the In-Laws have a speed boat out on Loch Lomond, its great in the summer...

Bit long.

:ok:

Norfolk and Chance?

Midlife Crisis 1

My Husband went to Monaco and I got was this lousy boat?

:jesuswept: very good

or Suffolk n funny :jesuswept:

I saw a really nice yacht called "Smooth Operator" last year in St Tropez, bit out of your league though I'd think! Seriously, what can you afford when you consider mooring etc as well, considering you use second hand tires? I reckon toonraider's heading for Davey Jone's locker in a rust bucket.

We use those tyres because theyre fine, safe and cheap, plus we arent ripped off! Im not going into all that again :jesuswept:

We like to have a hobby, a 'thing' We do spend alot on our racing, but we refuse to work hard and not have anything left for our time off! Whats the point? I hate working just to survive and pay the bills :jesuswept: Sailing is affordable for us, we've looked at boats around £1000, even cheaper if we buy something that needs attention. Its all about working hard for things you want.

I thought to myself the other day, I'm not going to have lived by the sea all my life and not owned a boat ffs! :ok:

I saw a really nice yacht called "Smooth Operator" last year in St Tropez, bit out of your league though I'd think! Seriously, what can you afford when you consider mooring etc as well, considering you use second hand tires? I reckon toonraider's heading for Davey Jone's locker in a rust bucket.

We use those tyres because theyre fine, safe and cheap, plus we arent ripped off! Im not going into all that again :jesuswept:

We like to have a hobby, a 'thing' We do spend alot on our racing, but we refuse to work hard and not have anything left for our time off! Whats the point? I hate working just to survive and pay the bills :jesuswept: Sailing is affordable for us, we've looked at boats around £1000, even cheaper if we buy something that needs attention. Its all about working hard for things you want.

I thought to myself the other day, I'm not going to have lived by the sea all my life and not owned a boat ffs! :jesuswept:

:ok::jesuswept:

I live by the sea and have never entertained having a boat!

Its bad luck to change the name of a boat, so if you're superstitious leave the name as is.

There was an ex-nufc player who had a famous boat but i think it was called 'Newcastle Brown' or something shit like that.

Oh damn it, I didnt think of that :jesuswept::jesuswept:

(sorry for lots of seperate posts to people comments but i havent worked out how to reply to each in one post, i get all muddled up) :ok:

I thought to myself the other day, I'm not going to have lived by the sea all my life and not owned a boat ffs! :jesuswept:

:ok::jesuswept:

I live by the sea and have never entertained having a boat!

You're not as old as me though! Anyway, thats your call :jesuswept:

Also as you lot are a very witty bunch I'd like your suggestions for a name for it. Something different (and I've already put forward Toonraider, Looneytoon or The Magpie with black and white sails, only to be told No Fucking way! :jesuswept::jesuswept:

You'd better check if there isn't already an original yacht with that name... :ok:

Well we've alot to learn, i dont even know the first thing about sailing, cept I'll probably get sea sick and very wet! I know one thing though, I wont be getting in any boat without a life jacket on :ok:

Also as you lot are a very witty bunch I'd like your suggestions for a name for it. Something different (and I've already put forward Toonraider, Looneytoon or The Magpie with black and white sails, only to be told No Fucking way! :jesuswept::jesuswept:

You'd better check if there isn't already an original yacht with that name... :jesuswept:

LOL :ok::jesuswept:

Mine would be the orignal and the best :jesuswept:

I'd want to give it something related to either Newcastle or Torquay united, but the others wouldnt want that.

How about "Going Down, Down, Down, Down", the great thing about that name is that next season it'll apply to us as well. The only problem is some people may be slightly apprehensive about getting on a boat with that name.

Dont even think it, this week has been bad enough, i couldnt take another relegation season :ok:

strangely enough I know how to sail and I love it, once skippered a 40 footer around the western Isles of Scotland, best 10 days of my life including the force 6 we got caught in :jesuswept: Never had the chance in the last few years but if you manage to get up this neck of the woods in it sign me up as a deck hand !!! :jesuswept:

As for names can I add my vote to Toontanic... :ok: class

strangely enough I know how to sail and I love it, once skippered a 40 footer around the western Isles of Scotland, best 10 days of my life including the force 6 we got caught in :jesuswept: Never had the chance in the last few years but if you manage to get up this neck of the woods in it sign me up as a deck hand !!! :jesuswept:

now you're talking Gina!! sounds excellent fun. I'll definitely book you first place!

(though we're not talking a 40 footer here, just about 17-20, but we'll sqeeze you in onboard Toontanic) :jesuswept:

now you're talking Gina!! sounds excellent fun. I'll definitely book you first place!

(though we're not talking a 40 footer here, just about 17-20, but we'll sqeeze you in onboard Toontanic) :jesuswept:

:jesuswept::jesuswept:

Ahoy there ladies! :jesuswept:

Do you have the correct chafing gear? :jesuswept: and i hope you can handle the ground tackle correctly :jesuswept:

Trust Laz :ok:

Dont worry, handling the tackle will not be a problem :jesuswept:

I went sailing in Oz. One of the best experiences of my life. Would love to get into it a bit more.

I went sailing in Oz. One of the best experiences of my life. Would love to get into it a bit more.

Yeah I rekon it would be exhilarating once you could do it!! Did it take you long to learn?

Edited by Toonraider

Yeah I rekon it would be exhilarating once you could do it!! Did it take you long to learn?

I only did it for a couple of days, staying on board overnight so I only picked up a few bits and bobs really. It was class though.

I grew up on boats, used to do a lot in Blyth, Tynemouth, Whitby, the Lakes, all over basically. My bro is sort of professional now. He is a sailmaker for North Sails (the best in the world).

Am going over to see him for mid-summer to go sailing around the stockholm archipelago. Which is nice. Last year we had a Corby 25, this year we'll be on a traditional folk boat. Not that expensive and great fun to sail.