England fall in latest rankings

Scottish Mag

England have fallen to eighth in the latest Fifa world rankings following disappointing displays in March's Euro 2008 qualifiers.

Northern Ireland's recent heroics saw them rise to 33rd in the world, two places below Republic of Ireland, who climbed 20 places.

Steve McClaren's men could only muster a goalless draw with Israel and were unconvincing in seeing off minnows Andorra last month.

Holland and Portugal have both leapfrogged England into sixth and seventh spot respectively.

Wins over Liechtenstein and Sweden helped Northern Ireland climb 14 spots, above the likes of Australia and Norway.

Steve Staunton's Republic of Ireland were the big movers after beating Wales and Slovakia at Croke Park.

Scotland slipped three places into 19th after losing to Italy, who regained top spot from Argentina, while Wales are up to 74th.

Top 10 (March position):

1. Italy (2)

2. Argentina (1)

3. Brazil (3)

4. France (4)

5. Germany (5)

6. Holland (7)

7. Portugal (8)

8. England (6)

9. Spain (10)

10. Czech Republic (9)

Selected others:

19. Scotland (16)

31. Republic of Ireland (51)

33. Northern Ireland (47)

74. Wales (77)

Guest stevieintoon

England 8th. :ok: 18th more like :jesuswept:

Scotland 19th pmsl. Would they be in the top 20 in Europe realistically? Kenny Miller main striker etc...

Scotland 19th pmsl. Would they be in the top 20 in Europe realistically? Kenny Miller main striker etc...

How many goals has Rooney scored at international level in the last year or so again??

Whilst we all know Kenny Miller is no world beater, reputations count for fuck all. You have to score the goals to win matches and he has...

Edited by Scottish Mag

Guest stevieintoon

How many goals has Rooney scored at international level in the last year or so again??

Whilst we all know Kenny Miller is no world beater, reputations count for fuck all. You have to score the goals to win matches and he has...

Why mention England? All I was saying was Scotland being 19th shows what an absolute joke the FIFA rankings still are.

Why mention England? All I was saying was Scotland being 19th shows what an absolute joke the FIFA rankings still are.

I mentioned Rooney as an example in reference to the point about Miller. The point I was making wasn't a dig at England and I was actually highlighting the fact he is a quality player.

Guest stevieintoon

I mentioned Rooney as an example in reference to the point about Miller. The point I was making wasn't a dig at England and I was actually highlighting the fact he is a quality player.

Surely this Garry O'Conoor is better than Miller though, and Kris Boyd. Your midfield isn't bad, but I'm telling you if your not good enough for Celtic, I'm fuckin sure you're not good enough for the toon, and if we sign Kenny Miller, I won't go back till he, Shepherd and Roeder are gone.

Surely this Garry O'Conoor is better than Miller though, and Kris Boyd. Your midfield isn't bad, but I'm telling you if your not good enough for Celtic, I'm fuckin sure you're not good enough for the toon, and if we sign Kenny Miller, I won't go back till he, Shepherd and Roeder are gone.

Different type of player. Kenny Miller as I said is no world beater and his first touch is woeful however his performances for Scotland more often than not have been fantastic. What he adds to the team is the same kind of urgency and workrate that Bellamy added to our team.

He never stops running meaning their is a greater urgency in the team and defending starts from the front rather than inviting teams onto you and his constant chasing of what appears to be lost causes sometimes mean we are creating chances. No one will deny his goals ratio particularly at Celtic isn't that great but even alot of his performances in a Green and White shirt that haven't produced goals from him have been praised for both his workrate and his assisting other players.

I too, would not like to see him in a Newcastle shirt however for Scotland his performances merit him having the shirt and the fact remains no one else has offered the same threat up top that he has in a Scotland jersey.

As for the whole slagging off our position, whilst these things might not accurately show the best teams in the World they are they not based more so on recent form? I would say our forms been pretty good as of late..

Guest stevieintoon

Different type of player. Kenny Miller as I said is no world beater and his first touch is woeful however his performances for Scotland more often than not have been fantastic. What he adds to the team is the same kind of urgency and workrate that Bellamy added to our team.

He never stops running meaning their is a greater urgency in the team and defending starts from the front rather than inviting teams onto you and his constant chasing of what appears to be lost causes sometimes mean we are creating chances. No one will deny his goals ratio particularly at Celtic isn't that great but even alot of his performances in a Green and White shirt that haven't produced goals from him have been praised for both his workrate and his assisting other players.

I too, would not like to see him in a Newcastle shirt however for Scotland his performances merit him having the shirt and the fact remains no one else has offered the same threat up top that he has in a Scotland jersey.

As for the whole slagging off our position, whilst these things might not accurately show the best teams in the World they are they not based more so on recent form? I would say our forms been pretty good as of late..

See how you feel after McPish has been in 6 month.

England have fallen to eighth in the latest Fifa world rankings following disappointing displays in March's Euro 2008 qualifiers.

Northern Ireland's recent heroics saw them rise to 33rd in the world, two places below Republic of Ireland, who climbed 20 places.

Steve McClaren's men could only muster a goalless draw with Israel and were unconvincing in seeing off minnows Andorra last month.

Holland and Portugal have both leapfrogged England into sixth and seventh spot respectively.

Wins over Liechtenstein and Sweden helped Northern Ireland climb 14 spots, above the likes of Australia and Norway.

Steve Staunton's Republic of Ireland were the big movers after beating Wales and Slovakia at Croke Park.

Scotland slipped three places into 19th after losing to Italy, who regained top spot from Argentina, while Wales are up to 74th.

Top 10 (March position):

1. Italy (2)

2. Argentina (1)

3. Brazil (3)

4. France (4)

5. Germany (5)

6. Holland (7)

7. Portugal (8)

8. England (6)

9. Spain (10)

10. Czech Republic (9)

Selected others:

19. Scotland (16)

31. Republic of Ireland (51)

33. Northern Ireland (47)

74. Wales (77)

and ?????

• 5 months later...

England 8th. :unsure: 18th more like :icon_lol:

See how you feel after McPish has been in 6 month.

I'm still smiling.... ;)

If Scotland fuck it up now, on your head be it Ritchie.

You know the score Alex, we need to get something from the Italy game and I do not see that happening and if we don't I will not see it as having "fucked up".

Regardless of what happens this is the best we have ever done in a qualifying campaign and for all the stick McLeish got, with some on here saying he would do a shite job, his record certainly is looking pretty decent. Its something like a 87.5% win record just now...

You know the score Alex, we need to get something from the Italy game and I do not see that happening and if we don't I will not see it as having "fucked up".

Regardless of what happens this is the best we have ever done in a qualifying campaign and for all the stick McLeish got, with some on here saying he would do a shite job, his record certainly is looking pretty decent. Its something like a 87.5% win record just now...

Nah, they've done well regardless. You know what I mean though. Also, just meant as a joke re: your tempting fate.

Nah, they've done well regardless. You know what I mean though. Also, just meant as a joke re: your tempting fate.

I know you were, but I don't see it as tempting fate. Its six months since Stevie posted that and I felt it was only polite to reply.. :unsure:

I know you were, but I don't see it as tempting fate. Its six months since Stevie posted that and I felt it was only polite to reply.. :unsure:

;)

On the subject of fucking it up, its quite scary how many of the "bigger nations" could fail to qualify. Portugal, England, Spain, Holland and Italy or France still have some work to do. Would be an unusual competition if a few of the above failed to qualify..