Two dollars

Renton

Clicky

Seems like a good time to visit the States, if you can avoid getting shot, accosted by evangelicals, and don't mind having your eyeballs scanned. :ok:

Seems like no time since the currencies almost reached parity.

Guest Patrokles

Add to the fact that everything is cheaper (for the visitor) anyway, and you're laughing. Conceivably 1/4 the price.

Is it worth purchasing stuff from america off e-bay then?

You might be charged import duty. Sometimes you get away with it, sometimes you don't.

You might be charged import duty. Sometimes you get away with it, sometimes you don't.

I've been had a few times on that with clothes and dvd's, isn't it over a certain amount of money you get charged? £150 or something like that.

I've been had a few times on that with clothes and dvd's, isn't it over a certain amount of money you get charged? £150 or something like that.

It can be added onto anything over £18

It can be added onto anything over £18

Perhaps I've just been lucky on other occasions then.

'Also remember that you are only allowed to bring £145 worth of shopping from the US into the UK.

Any more than that and you will have to pay import duty and VAT at the airport.

Import duty is a percentage of the value of the goods and can vary according to the nature of the goods and their country of origin.'

Guest Patrokles

For stuff like clothes, shoes, etc, it's great. There's no way they're going to go through your stuff and question whether you had it before you arrived in the country.

For stuff like clothes, shoes, etc, it's great. There's no way they're going to go through your stuff and question whether you had it before you arrived in the country.

Unless you're Colleen Mc Loughlin and leave the tags and prices on everything just to make it nice and easy for the customs officer.

Unless you're as thick as Colleen Mc Loughlin and leave the tags and prices on everything just to make it nice and easy for the customs officer.

FYP

Not sure how it works, but yeah sometime it's been nothing for me, sometimes it's been a lot, but not ordered anything like that since the VAT at point of origin thing so not sure how it's changed.

Having imported dvds from all over the world its pretty random tbh.

There are some brilliant retailers who will 'mark down' the value of the package so it doesnt attract attention.

Some will not 'mark down' but will mark the package as a gift - i think the limit for gifts is £35 or so. (might be wrong)

Some couriers will pay the customs charges for you and will send a letter months after it was delivered demanding payment. (dhl are bad at this)

Sometimes royal mail will quite happily deliver a package of dvds marked $60 (well over £18) but will then drop the note in the letterbox explaining theres a customs charge for a package marked £18.50. they will also include a handling charge of £4 on top of the customs fee.