Part one of Anal's special "report"

Isegrim

This is the same Shepherd who has spent around £250m on players in the last decade, had his name chanted by the fans when he paraded Michael Owen, and built a stadium that is the envy of a lot of better clubs in Europe.

I can remember chants of "One Graeme Souness" *cringe* but there was nothing like that directed at Fat Fred. Also nice that he's forgot the mention the pantomime booing that occured when his name was mentioned during Shearer's testimonial.

The Geordies will forgive a lot but not quitters. There is no greater sin in the Toon bible.

Straight out the Freddy Shepherd book of cringeworthy Geordie quotes that'un.

I've read the full article and i've got to say, it's a load of toss. It seems Mr. Oliver has come to the conclusion that we need investment to break the top 4 but that isn't going to happen so we've got to be happy with where we are.

Edited by Skol

Keegan and Robson may have made mistakes but I look at the current tactics and man-management and inept is not something you could level at either of them unlike GR.

Every manager makes mistakes in the transfer market but that is not levelled at Roeder that much (I know duff has been a major disappointment tho) its more the amateurish air that hangs over the club so to make that point is rubbish.

Its a Roeder/shepherd wankfest and totally paints over problems within the club - Shepherd is a buffoon of the highest order and Glenn is a nice bloke who just can't hack it - he's drowning and either he gets a grip and cuts out the cronyism within the team or we'll be sucked down with him

They have now managed to seperate the articles, so that they are now at least not looking like drivel anymore. Though, Oliver's and Ryder's pieces still are (there is hardly to make any distinction).

Roeder knows what is needed at St James' Park and he has a fair enough team behind him in England Under-21 coach Nigel Pearson, Geordie boy Lee Clark and Terry McDermott who, despite his Liverpool connection, is fully committed to his adopted club.

WOOP WOOP WOOP \o/. I prefer the phrase "gurning retard" tbh

My son is an avid United fan and he suggested to me that their problems started when the board were unable to find the £6m to sign Robert Huth from Chelsea last summer. And he is probably right.

Hasn't he been injured all season? What a fucking mong tbh

Actually I'm more alarmed by the fact that a woman allowed him to recreate with her. Fucking hell, what must she look like?

Edited by Sima

Roeder knows what is needed at St James' Park and he has a fair enough team behind him in England Under-21 coach Nigel Pearson, Geordie boy Lee Clark and Terry McDermott who, despite his Liverpool connection, is fully committed to his adopted club.

My son is an avid United fan and he suggested to me that their problems started when the board were unable to find the £6m to sign Robert Huth from Chelsea last summer. And he is probably right.

He also had already agreed a move to the Smoggies during the World Cup (i.e. before we even started thinking about our transfers). The move only got delayed because of Huth couldn't undergo a medical due to his injury. He wouldn't have been what we needed anyway. He has potential, but is still far too raw and not the leader we need at the back.

He also had already agreed a move to the Smoggies during the World Cup (i.e. before we even started thinking about our transfers). The move only got delayed because of Huth couldn't undergo a medical due to his injury. He wouldn't have been what we needed anyway. He has potential, but is still far too raw and not the leader we need at the back.

Aye, very true. Last thing we needed was someone still learning their trade to play alongside either playes in the same boat or centre-halves who are just gash so he could pick up their bad habits/have his confidence destroyed.

Worth at least 20 points on Anal Bingo.

How much pre-planning, for example, went into last summer when, apart from buying a £10m striker to replace the retired Alan Shearer, £5m was spent on a left-winger which was hardly a priority position, and Antoine Sibierski and Olivier Bernard were rushed through the door in a blind panic on the final day of buying.

Just as Albert Luque had at £9m the year before.

Oh, lest we forget, there was also the bewildering case of James Milner, who was told he was surplus to requirements and banished to Aston Villa, only to be embarrassingly recalled at the 11th hour when efforts to sign Mark Viduka spectacularly failed.

More cool-headed plotting a year on we fervently hope.

Even if United got lucky on Sibierski - and they certainly didn't on Lord Lucan and Bernard - a 32-year-old free transfer man discarded by Manchester City simply ought not to be Newcastle's style of signing.

Spot on that, John Gibson's bit is a good read and makes plenty of good points.

For a look at the on the field problems not one of them ever mentioned Roeder's tactical ineptitude or sometimes baffling selection decisions.

At least Gibson has made the point that you can't blame injuries when you've done fuck all to strengthen the squad when given the chance.

I think Isegrim also made the point a while ago that while we did have an 'injury crisis' it was hardly surprising when we had a squad with players like Owen (we've been unlucky but his hamstrings are always giving him trouble), Dyer, Bramble, Moore, Babayaro, Carr plus Shola's hip problem which was already known about. Fair enough, a striker was needed but attention had to be given to areas of the squad other a position for which we already had adequate cover, i.e. left-wing (at least by the standards of our squad anyway).

John Gibson has a realistic take on things. The other two are Billy Bullshitters still trying to manipulate through their positions in the media (bewildering how either of them attained these positions in the first place tbh)

Aye, very true. Last thing we needed was someone still learning their trade to play alongside either playes in the same boat or centre-halves who are just gash so he could pick up their bad habits/have his confidence destroyed.

He's hardly set the world alight at Boro either. Behind Woody, Pogatez and Riggott (who might be worth a punt in the summer) in their pecking order.

He's hardly set the world alight at Boro either. Behind Woody, Pogatez and Riggott (who might be worth a punt in the summer) in their pecking order.

He only had a short spell without injuries though. But he certainly wouldn't helped us at all this season. One more reason why I am very pessimistic about Roeder's ability to build a squad...

Edited by Isegrim

Gibson's article is all right, but Oliver keeps hitting new lows.

This is the same Shepherd who has spent around £250m on players in the last decade, had his name chanted by the fans when he paraded Michael Owen, and built a stadium that is the envy of a lot of better clubs in Europe.

Leazes?

A blind man can see that our coaching staff, if you can even call it that, is a fucking shambles. It may be many things, but it most definitely isn't a "fair enough team". Lee Clark and Terry McDermott, for fuck's sake.

Glenn Roeder, the highest-placed English manager in the Premiership less than 12 months ago

I also like how the Chronicle's clowns keep mentioning that, thanks. Does anyone even care? What is it supposed to mean?

What happened to that Miles Stansforth bloke? He always seemed to talk a lot of sense in the Chronicle whenever he took over from Oliver on his holidays.

Think he is now writing for the Shields Gazette, he was replaced by Lee Ryder.

The difference between Ryder/Starforth and Alan Oliver is that they largely report fact rather than bringing personal opinion/their offsprings opinions into their work.

Keegan and Robson may have made mistakes but I look at the current tactics and man-management and inept is not something you could level at either of them unlike GR.

Every manager makes mistakes in the transfer market but that is not levelled at Roeder that much (I know duff has been a major disappointment tho) its more the amateurish air that hangs over the club so to make that point is rubbish.

Its a Roeder/shepherd wankfest and totally paints over problems within the club - Shepherd is a buffoon of the highest order and Glenn is a nice bloke who just can't hack it - he's drowning and either he gets a grip and cuts out the cronyism within the team or we'll be sucked down with him

You have to wonder how much of this decay has been happening for a while though.

Robson probably didn't need a huge support structure due to his personal vast experience and contacts.

Souness seems more like the sort where again it may have been kinda irrelevant as everything was done "my way or the highway".

Where as Roeder seems like the sort that would need a top class support, training and scouting structure (probably making him ideal for a Youth Academy set up, but less so for the pantomime that is NUFC's main team), none of which we have (we don't even seem to have a scout at the moment ;) ).

The thing is if we done seriously restrengthen this summer, due to Roeder, FFS financial constraints or meddling, lack of scout network or some combination of the three, we'll be in a world of trouble next season, even without any injury crisis.

Really it looks like we'll need to spend at least £20+ million in the summer, not only to re-build a squad capably of getting into the top 6, but also with enough depth to sustain that though injuries.