Owen '50-50' for Chelsea clash

khay

Glenn Roeder has rated Michael Owen's chances of featuring against Chelsea at St James' Park on Sunday at 50-50.

The Newcastle United striker has not played since rupturing his anterior cruciate ligament during last summer's World Cup finals in Germany.

Owen has long hoped to return in time for the game against the Premiership champions, although he still has to overcome a minor groin problem.

Roeder has been adamant all along that the former Liverpool and Real Madrid front-man will not be rushed back, and that has not changed now.

The Magpies will continue to monitor Owen's fitness but a boost is that he has not been ruled out of the Chelsea clash.

"At this stage, I have not even discussed it with Michael as to whether he will be back for us on Sunday," Roeder said.

"He is 50-50, but he will not return until in my opinion he is in pristine condition - and he has had a slight groin strain which he picked up in shooting practice at the end of last week.

"His groin is a bit sore, but that is what happens when players have been out for a long time, they pick up niggles in other parts of their body.

"At the moment, we are being very careful with Michael, as we would with any other player.

"He certainly has not been ruled out of the Chelsea game but, if in the end he is, then we will start looking to our next match at Reading."

http://home.skysports.com/list.aspx?hlid=4...r+Chelsea+clash

"At this stage, I have not even discussed it with Michael as to whether he will be back for us on Sunday," Roeder said.

Exactly what the fuck have you being doing then Glenn? Would it not be a good idea to actually talk to the most valuable player in the club to see how he's feeling 3 days before his comeback? Fucking prick.

Newcastle striker Michael Owen may have to delay his return from a 10-month injury lay-off until his side's trip to Reading on 30 April. Magpies boss Glenn Roeder said on Thursday that Owen, 27, is '50-50' to play against Chelsea on Sunday.

But, speaking from Newmarket races on Racing UK, Owen said: "I am looking at the game after that to make my return.

"I am just feeling the effects of doing so much work and I have got a bit of a tight groin at the minute."

Owen has been out of action since rupturing his anterior cruciate ligament in England's World Cup game with Sweden last June.

He has long identified this weekend's fixture as the one in which he hoped to feature again.

But Newcastle manager Glenn Roeder says the former Liverpool and Real Madrid frontman will not return unless in his opinion he is "in pristine condition".

"At this stage, I have not even discussed it with Michael as to whether he will be back for us on Sunday," added Roeder.

"His groin is a bit sore, but that is what happens when players have been out for a long time, they pick up niggles in other parts of their body.

"At the moment, we are being very careful with Michael, as we would with any other player.

"He certainly has not been ruled out of the Chelsea game but, if in the end he is, then we will start looking to our next match at Reading."

There had been fears that Owen's comeback would be delayed again after he was not selected in Newcastle's reserve squad to face Middlesbrough on Tuesday.

His only action so far came when he played 70 minutes in a friendly against Gretna at the club's training ground on 10 April and scored.

The timing of Owen's return has become increasingly political, with chairman Freddy Shepherd indicating at the weekend he is prepared to go to court to prevent England calling up the player for the vital Euro 2008 qualifier against Estonia in June.

Newcastle are currently fighting for compensation for their £17m record signing's lengthy absence from the game.

from BBC.