Thick footballers

Bombadil

The Professional Footballers' Association awards are announced in London on Sunday.

The votes were cast towards the end of January and for all the obvious reasons I do think it would be helpful if the voting could take place later in the season.

With so much of the campaign left when we cast our vote we run the risk of overlooking a player who makes the most impact at the business end of the season.

The awards take place before the season has finished and, often, with so much still to be decided.

I'm sure there are logistical issues why the voting and awards dinner happen when they do but it would be good if the ceremony, which takes place in London, could be rotated around different parts of the country.

The actual process of voting is administered by the PFA club rep, in our case Gary Speed.

He left a slip of paper on all our lockers with the various fields that required filling in.

Some people took their forms home but I dealt with it at work.

I probably had mine for a couple of days before I handed it back to Gary. I talked with several of the players about who I was thinking about voting for.

The votes, by the way, are not anonymous, with each player putting his name on the form.

My vote for the Player of the Year went to Manchester United midfielder Paul Scholes.

After his injury problems last season he has been like a new signing for United this campaign and has been in fantastic form.

He is a major reason why Sir Alex Ferguson's team are having such a good year.

Scholes is a great player, who is great to watch.

He always has time and space on the ball, a sure sign of a quality footballer, and always seems to choose the right time to shoot or pass.

I know that he is often criticised for his tackling but, given it is about the same standard as mine, I would always defend it!

Paul is also a quiet family man who never seeks the spotlight and keeps his opinions very much to himself. I really respect that about him.

Cristiano Ronaldo has also been top class and is up for both the top award and the Young Player of the Year. I voted for him in the latter category.

Hey, it only took him two days to fill out what I'm sure is a highly complex form!

Some people took their forms home but I dealt with it at work.

<_< Doesn't like to take work home with him does Kevin, stays in the office until he's got it all completed.

Seriously, what does the form involve? Name your top 3 players in the PL, ffs it's hardly like filling out your tax returns. ;)

I would imagine they would still give it some consideration though, as opposed to writing down the first 3 names that randomly popped into their head, then putting their hands up and screaming "FINISHED SIR!!!". ;)

With the voting in January surely the award should be called the First Half of the Season Best Player, and not Player of the Year. It would be lke awarding man of the match at half time. Which to be honest, I'm sure Collingwood Insurance do most of the time.

What a fuckin' stupid process.

Ronaldo should win it though.

Edited by Matty

I would imagine they would still give it some consideration though, as opposed to writing down the first 3 names that randomly popped into their head, then putting their hands up and screaming "FINISHED SIR!!!". ;)

I agree, that's what you'd hope they'd do.

With the voting in January surely the award should be called the First Half of the Season Best Player, and not Player of the Year. It would be lke awarding man of the match at half time. Which to be honest, I'm sure Collingwood Insurance do most of the time.

What a fuckin' stupid process.

Ronaldo should win it though.

Jan to Jan. I agree though, daft.

Agreed, it should be player of the season, I'm sure most footballers would struggle to remember what happend last week yet alone what happend last year.

I agree, that's what you'd hope they'd do.

Well yeah admittedly there are probably some that would struggle to recall three names, never mind spell them in a way anyone would recognise.

You can just imagine Gary Speed, with his special PFA badge that reads 'Gary'

Reminds me of how when I worked in a nursing home one of the residents with learning difficulties had a staff name badge that said 'Terry - In Charge' on it.