following on from the tread below which mentions the

bobbyshinton

Farmers

good bars which are now gone ;)

mine

The Grapes, good beer

The Addelaide, drinkers bar

The Portland, good all round bar

The Avenue, Whitley Bay under age heaven when I was a whippersnapper (was shite when I hit 18 though, full of fucking kids!!!!)

The Mayfair (if you can count it as a boozer)

Farmers is probably my most lamented ex-watering hole

Poncey I know but Bierrex was quality before they turned it into that horrible 'Scream' bar The Hancock. The range of beers was fantastic and the prices kept the charvas and the studes out. The Lonsdale used to be canny. Not the same any more. The Broken Doll. I know I've forgotten somewhere.

Farmers

good bars which are now gone ;)

mine

The Grapes, good beer

The Addelaide, drinkers bar

The Portland, good all round bar

The Avenue, Whitley Bay under age heaven when I was a whippersnapper (was shite when I hit 18 though, full of fucking kids!!!!)

The Mayfair (if you can count it as a boozer)

Farmers is probably my most lamented ex-watering hole

Aye, the Avenue, can't believe that place is boarded up considering the location and how busy it used to be. Used to have a drink in their and get the "beer shuttle" (aka 301) to Surfers nightclub in Tynemouth which has also gone (burnt down).

Biggest loss for me though was the Barley Mow, my favourite pub of all time anywhere.

Surfer's Nightclub! ;)

Surfers was class man, played decent stuff, reasonably priced, open til 2 etc but best of all at the bottom of my parent's street.

I hear Archer's in Jesmond is now a gastropub btw Alex, suits me like!

Surfer's Nightclub! ;)

Surfers was class man, played decent stuff, reasonably priced, open til 2 etc but best of all at the bottom of my parent's street.

I wouldn't say Mr Lynch was a gastropub like. More of a shit student pub with awful cheap 70's kitsch 'ironic' decor. Felt like being in me Granny's old sitting room. I used to quite like The Archer as it happens, mainly as you could nearly always get a game of pool. Town prices for what was essentially a social club setting let it down a bit though, along with the Shieldfield mentalist (that could be a good or a bad thing). 'As You Like It'* - just opened directly opposite Mr Lynch/The Archer - is meant to be nice although I haven't been.

Edit:* Think thats probably the gastropub you've heard about.

Edited by alex

I used to quite like The Archer as it happens, mainly as you could nearly always get a game of pool.

Except when the tables were infiltrated by Gosforth under-agers who'd nipped down from Regent Centre because they couldn't get served anywhere locally.

;)

Surfer's Nightclub! ;)

I wouldn't say Mr Lynch was a gastropub like. More of a shit student pub with awful cheap 70's kitsch 'ironic' decor. Felt like being in me Granny's old sitting room. I used to quite like The Archer as it happens, mainly as you could nearly always get a game of pool. Town prices for what was essentially a social club setting let it down a bit though, along with the Shieldfield mentalist (that could be a good or a bad thing). 'As You Like It'* - just opened directly opposite Mr Lynch/The Archer - is meant to be nice although I haven't been.

Edit:* Think thats probably the gastropub you've heard about.

Yeah, it's just what I heard, apparently it recently got a good review in the Metro although I didn't read it. Used to be a useful stop off on the way to town from the Sandyford/jesmond area when I was younger.

Nowt worng with the Archer, used to like it in there. Aye, it was grubby as fuck, but me and my mate would get in around tea time during the week and it would be deed. Barman used to put classic NUFC games he'd taped off the tele while we played pool.

Saw some canny bands in there as well, including the drunkest Morrisey tribute act I've ever seen. Took him 10 minutes to tune his guitar in while he slurred something into the mic, then performed a near perfect set, before falling off his stool and staggering off stage.

We used to quite often play pool in there Friday (karaoke) and Saturday (band night - normally doing rock/blues covers). There was always about 5 people in on a Friday. Anyway, this lad and his lass (both about 18) got up and did 'Stairway to Heaven'. It was the full version too. They were stood there like a right pair of divvies waiting about 5 minutes for the first vocal. And they were absolutely terrible.

We used to quite often play pool in there Friday (karaoke) and Saturday (band night - normally doing rock/blues covers). There was always about 5 people in on a Friday. Anyway, this lad and his lass (both about 18) got up and did 'Stairway to Heaven'. It was the full version too. They were stood there like a right pair of divvies waiting about 5 minutes for the first vocal. And they were absolutely terrible.

;)

Always thought it would be funnyto do a song with a really long instrumental for kareoke, although I was thinking of 'I Am The Resurrection'.

Of course, it would actually be only be funny for about 5 seconds. If at all.

Ah the Archer, happy times in there ;) remember the "chef" at the time (pub meals) he was a really nice young bloke and then went and had one of those aneurism thingamys and died aged 27 <_< used to work in Scottish Life House so I practically lived there during the week, I was the undisputed champ of the pool tables <_<

Barley Mow, had some cracking times in there wehn it was a "real" bar :shades:

Ah the Archer, happy times in there ;) remember the "chef" at the time (pub meals) he was a really nice young bloke and then went and had one of those aneurism thingamys and died aged 27 :shades: used to work in Scottish Life House so I practically lived there during the week, I was the undisputed champ of the pool tables <_<

Barley Mow, had some cracking times in there wehn it was a "real" bar :(

been banned from the archer twice, once many moons ago, smashed a display case playing football inside

the second time I was in the bar near the metor line just down by the Archer some twat sat in the middle of the pathway to the bogs. Mr Berb threatened to put him through a window if he was still in the way when Mrs S came back. He took the hint fucked off, job done. We went to the Archer he was behind the bar, the Manager, <_<

Ah the Archer, happy times in there <_< remember the "chef" at the time (pub meals) he was a really nice young bloke and then went and had one of those aneurism thingamys and died aged 27 :( used to work in Scottish Life House so I practically lived there during the week, I was the undisputed champ of the pool tables <_<

Barley Mow, had some cracking times in there wehn it was a "real" bar :(

been banned from the archer twice, once many moons ago, smashed a display case playing football inside

the second time I was in the bar near the metor line just down by the Archer some twat sat in the middle of the pathway to the bogs. Mr Berb threatened to put him through a window if he was still in the way when Mrs S came back. He took the hint fucked off, job done. We went to the Archer he was behind the bar, the Manager, :shades:

;)

The Broken Doll - Cracking old venue with great ales, live bands and good atmosphere

The Farmers Rest - Canny for bottle of brown on a saturday afternoon

Pig & whistle - Ye olde style - Used to go there before the Doll in my youth, also had some canny bands on

The Riverside - Before it became shindig and got all done out, again live band venue

Yeah ok, I noticed the theme. Dolls the biggest loss though....

The Broken Doll - Cracking old venue with great ales, live bands and good atmosphere

The Farmers Rest - Canny for bottle of brown on a saturday afternoon

Pig & whistle - Ye olde style - Used to go there before the Doll in my youth, also had some canny bands on

The Riverside - Before it became shindig and got all done out, again live band venue

Yeah ok, I noticed the theme. Dolls the biggest loss though....

I once ended up on stage with a band doing percussion for them in the Doll ;) ahh..those were the days !!

Nothing like threads like this to remind me of my age. <_<

ah but think of the crappy bars you will reminisce over when your our age ;)

It's oh so true. <_<