This Is England...

Tooj

I reckon people who grew up in the 80s will appreciate it more like. I used to hate skinsheads, still do in fact.

Seen this bout a month ago , downloaded it from newsbin and its class the musics great ska etc the story was written about the authors actual youth well worth the watch people..!! quote - "you look sterling mate fucking sterling"

skinheads - mainly landahn based thugs

if they'd started in Newcastle or Manchester the meeja and law would have wiped them out in a month

Thick, violent , fascist thugs IMHO - proto CHarva's

• 2 weeks later...

skinheads - mainly landahn based thugs

if they'd started in Newcastle or Manchester the meeja and law would have wiped them out in a month

Thick, violent , fascist thugs IMHO - proto CHarva's

It does a very good job of celebrating the original skinhead culture (suggesting they started by embracing immigrants to their working class bosom and integrating their music, fashion and leisure pursuits) while also damning the fringe characters who exploited the image for far uglier purposes.

I wanted to see this in the cinema, but none near me showed it, including Silverlink, the Gate, and the Metrocentre (I think Boldon did but fuck am I going into Mackem territory to see it). It's a bit shite when these places have 10 screens and can't spare one screen once a night to films like this.

I wanted to see this in the cinema, but none near me showed it, including Silverlink, the Gate, and the Metrocentre (I think Boldon did but fuck am I going into Mackem territory to see it). It's a bit shite when these places have 10 screens and can't spare one screen once a night to films like this.

Going to see it tonight at the Gate...

Going to see it tonight at the Gate...

Must have come on recently, or I missed it I guess. Hope it's still on next week.

• 1 year later...
_44789602_somers_town_meadows_close.jpg

The latest film from acclaimed director Shane Meadows has won the top award at this year's Edinburgh Film Festival.

Somers Town, the story of a Polish teenager's adventures after arriving in London, won the Michael Powell Award for Best British Feature Film.

The Standard Life Audience Award went to Man on Wire, a documentary about a daring tightrope walk between the twin towers of the World Trade Centre.

Robert Carlyle took the award for best actor for his performance in Summer.

This Is England director Meadows was honoured with the outstanding contribution to British film award at this year's Baftas.

The jury for the £20,000 Michael Powell award described his latest film "as the freshest, most imaginative, maverick work".

Carlyle's performance in Summer, an emotional drama about a man fixated on his own past, was described by the jury as "flawless".

Other awards included Encounters at the End of the World being named best documentary, Marianna Palka picking up the best new director award for Good Dick and Christmas with Dad winning the best Scottish short documentary award.

The 62nd Edinburgh International Film Festival (EIFF) closed on Saturday night after its first run outside the main festival period of August.

It showed 142 features from 29 countries during its 12-day run.

There were 15 World premieres and 72 UK premieres.