Martins: Best is yet to come

Jimbo

Obafemi Martins is adamant he has no plans to quit Newcastle United in the summer after just one season at St James' Park.

The striker has proved to be a powerful presence in The Magpies' forward line and has scored 17 goals for the club.

But the £10million signing's exploits have prompted talk that he could be offered the chance to leave the North East at the end of the season.

Martins has dismissed the notion of a move and has assured Newcastle supporters they have yet to see his best form.

"I am happy at Newcastle," Martins told The People. "I love the city and the people.

"I have settled very quickly, with the help of the players and the manager.

"It is not about what I have achieved in seven months, it is about the full five years of my contract and I intend to be at Newcastle for all that time.

"Our fans are the best in the world. Even if we are losing or not playing well there are still 52,000 backing us and I respect that.

"I want them to know that the best is yet to come from me. I am excited about what lies ahead."

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Best is yet to come? I would fucking hope so.

You sure you don't want the lad to fail?

By saying I hope there's better to come. You sure you've thought this one through?

Yes I have thought this through, I'm just struggling of a time you've had anything positive at all to say on the lad.

By saying I hope there's better to come. You sure you've thought this one through?

Yes I have thought this through, I'm just struggling of a time you've had anything positive at all to say on the lad.

So would you hope that he's going to get better or would you be happy if he continued in the same vain as we've seen since he got here? My complaints about his touch and movement are perfectly valid tbh.

So would you hope that he's going to get better or would you be happy if he continued in the same vain as we've seen since he got here? My complaints about his touch and movement are perfectly valid tbh.

Of course I'd be happy with an improvement but the way you go on about him you'd think he'd been total wank for us and not scored any goals at all. He's a striker and has scored some vital goals for us this season so I cannot complain with the goals he's scored due to the circumstances.

He's the last of our players who deserves shit tbh.

Of course I'd be happy with an improvement but the way you go on about him you'd think he'd been total wank for us and not scored any goals at all. He's a striker and has scored some vital goals for us this season so I cannot complain with the goals he's scored due to the circumstances.

He's the last of our players who deserves shit tbh.

All I've ever complained about with Martins are his touch and his movement. And with good reason tbf. The other players that deserve stick have got plenty from me an'all, but Martins isn't above criticism just because other players have done worse.

The first sentence of your post is total bollocks btw. I've said on numerous occasions that he's done well to score so many goals in his first season. For £10m though I want a much more rounded player - hopefully we'll see some of that next season.

Me too, .........question is WHEN??

17 goals in his first season, playing on his own up front for a shit team, he's not done too bad in my view, but could be much better.

Basically he's going to end up with on or near 20 goals as a young player in his first ever season in the prem, playing in a poor team who create little and play the wrong way to get the best out of him, so i think he's made a pretty decent start.

Yes he can do more, and his movement, touch etc. could have been better, but without his goals this season we would have been absolutely fucked.

Basically he's going to end up with on or near 20 goals as a young player in his first ever season in the prem, playing in a poor team who create little and play the wrong way to get the best out of him, so i think he's made a pretty decent start.

Yes he can do more, and his movement, touch etc. could have been better, but without his goals this season we would have been absolutely fucked.

Just what I was thinking :nufc:

End of the day if he didn't have any flaws to his game we wouldn't have been able to afford him and he would have no doubt gone to a better club.

As others have said he has come into a team that is in a bad way playing poor football and not having another striker. He has had a lot of weight on his young shoulders and imo has performed extremely well.

You do seem to have a dig at Martins at every opportunity Gemmill.

Fucking hell, I have a go at the lad for his poor movement and touch. When it improves, I'll stop. We're an awfully sensitive bunch, aren't we? :lol:

On this occasion I was responding sarcastically to a player who aside from a few good games, hasn't been all that great, and has looked downright woeful at times, saying "the best is yet to come". I didn't realise you and 2J were menstruating or else I'd have kept my mouth shut. :nufc:

Fucking hell, I have a go at the lad for his poor movement and touch. When it improves, I'll stop. We're an awfully sensitive bunch, aren't we? :lol:

On this occasion I was responding sarcastically to a player who aside from a few good games, hasn't been all that great, and has looked downright woeful at times, saying "the best is yet to come". I didn't realise you and 2J were menstruating or else I'd have kept my mouth shut. :nufc:

Just saying you seem to have a go a LOT. Sometimes seems like Martins is to you what Kieron Dyer to Northern Monkey :razz:

Worse than Simon Cowell tbh.

Edited by Gejon

Just saying you seem to have a go a LOT. Sometimes seems like Martins is to you what Kieron Dyer to Northern Monkey :nufc:

Worse than Simon Cowell tbh.

His touch and movement seem to be shit a LOT. :razz:

Just seems an odd target given there are normally 7-8 a hell of a lot worse on the pitch game in, game out.

As said if he didn't have certain flaws to his game we would never have gotten him. When Owen doesn't score he often does bugger all in the game too.

His touch is very hit and miss, quite often its miss but he does show on occasion (even a few times today) he does have the talent there we just need a proper striker in there who will make some of the runs he is supposed to.

End off the day you are a stupid gaylord and should leave Martins alone! (think that settles that, tbh)

Just seems an odd target given there are normally 7-8 a hell of a lot worse on the pitch game in, game out.

Difference is though that those 7 or 8 players get roundly slated by everyone, whereas Martins either escapes criticism or is jizzed about by people who have his picture in their signature and genuinely think he's one of the best players in the world (see the thread where the majority voted that they wouldn't swap him for Rooney :nufc: ). Someone (with a brain) needs to act as a counterbalance to that, and that someone is me. :lol:

Now pop another tampax in and shut it, you beardy kebab muncher!

Difference is though that those 7 or 8 players get roundly slated by everyone, whereas Martins either escapes criticism or is jizzed about by people who have his picture in their signature and genuinely think he's one of the best players in the world (see the thread where the majority voted that they wouldn't swap him for Rooney :nufc: ). Someone (with a brain) needs to act as a counterbalance to that, and that someone is me. :lol:

OMG U R SUCH A MARTINS HATR!

Guest Patrokles

Now you know how it FEELS to be PERSECUTED for having opinions. :razz: