Ronaldo in double award scoop

Jimbo

Ronaldo secures PFA awards double

Manchester United's Cristiano Ronaldo has been named the Player of the Year and Young Player of the Year by the Professional Footballers' Association.

The 22-year-old winger is the first player to win both awards in the same season since Andy Gray in 1977.

The Portuguese has recovered from the controversy of last year's World Cup to help United battle for three trophies.

Chelsea striker Didier Drogba was second and Manchester United midfielder Paul Scholes third in the senior award.

Manchester United veteran Ryan Giggs, last year's winner Steven Gerrard of Liverpool and 19-year-old Arsenal midfielder Cesc Fabregas also made ths shortlist.

Ronaldo was booed at the start of the season for his part in Wayne Rooney's sending off in the quarter-final match between England and Portugal in Germany.

But he has bounced back superbly and has so far scored 16 Premiership goals this season to fire United to the top of the table.

The winger said it was a big honour to be singled out by his peers.

He said: "It is a special night. It is amazing and a big honour for me to win trophies like this in the English Premier League. I am very proud.

I think he is the best player in the world and his season has been incredible

Sir Alex Ferguson

"My colleagues have voted for me and that is fantastic because the players know the qualities of players.

"I want to keep working hard and getting better because these trophies have now given me more motivation.

"This great team has helped me because when the team wins it is easier for us all to play with more confidence."

Fabregas was second and Tottenham's Aaron Lennon, 20, third in the voting for the young player award.

Ronaldo's team-mate Wayne Rooney (21) was also shortlisted, as were Reading striker Kevin Doyle, 23, and 18-year-old defender Micah Richards of Manchester City.

Eight Manchester United players made it into the team of the year while manager Sir Alex Ferguson was honoured with the PFA Special Merit Award.

Ferguson paid tribute to Ronaldo, who joined United from Sporting Lisbon in a £12.2m deal in August 2003.

"At this moment in time, I think he is the best player in the world and his season has been incredible," he said.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PFA Premier League Team of the Year 2007:

Edwin van der Sar, Gary Neville, Nemanja Vidic, Rio Ferdinand, Patrice Evra (all Man Utd); Ryan Giggs, Paul Scholes, Cristiano Ronaldo (all Man Utd) and Steven Gerrard (Liverpool); Didier Drogba (Chelsea) and Dimitar Berbatov (Tottenham

Eight Manchester United players made it into the team of the year

:nufc:

Vidic and Evra who were regarded as flops last season...

Van Der Sar as keeper of the season :lol:

I love the Beeb's report on the SPFA awards this morning:

Other winners on the night were: Colin McMenamin (First Division Player of the Year); Iain Russell (Second Division Player of the Year); Scott Chaplain (Third Division Player of the Year); Falkirk (Community Club of the Year); Eusebio (Special Merit Award).

Exalted company indeed. :nufc:

PFA Championship Team of the Year:

Matt Murray (Wolves), Graham Alexander (Preston), Gareth Bale (Southampton), Darren Moore (Derby), Curtis Davies (West Brom), Jason Koumas (West Brom), Carlos Edwards (Sunderland), Dean Whitehead (Sunderland), Diomansy Kamara (West Brom), Michael Chopra (Cardiff), Gary McSheffrey (Birmingham)

A couple in there worth trying for in the summer?

PFA Championship Team of the Year:

Matt Murray (Wolves), Graham Alexander (Preston), Gareth Bale (Southampton), Darren Moore (Derby), Curtis Davies (West Brom), Jason Koumas (West Brom), Carlos Edwards (Sunderland), Dean Whitehead (Sunderland), Diomansy Kamara (West Brom), Michael Chopra (Cardiff), Gary McSheffrey (Birmingham)

A couple in there worth trying for in the summer?

Every single team of the year is incorrect. Only 2 Scunny players in the league 1 team? :lol:

Aye, that Chopra fella has scored a few, voted in there ahead of Nugent.

Yeah, If he carries on this form he should be in with a shout for an england call up. :lol:

Here's the twat:

ronaldo20lead20pickb7.jpg

this pic just deserves another slagging

UGLY TWAT!

Do they have some arrogancy gene in Portugal? I was just watching the awards on Sky and Ronaldo was on stage with his hands in his pockets, pulling faces whilst Ferguson was giving him the award and when they asked him which players he likes watching he said himself! (he did say later he was joking)