Butt eyes Toon stay

Scottish Mag

Nicky Butt says he feels he has finally won over his critics at Newcastle and is keen to extend his stay on Tyneside.

The midfielder struggled in his first season on Tyneside and his Newcastle career looked over when he was farmed out on loan to Birmingham in the summer of 2005.

He returned to Newcastle last summer and manager Glenn Roeder opted to hand Butt a chance to shine.

The former England international responded by throwing in a string of fine displays and he was handed the captain's armband against Chelsea on Sunday.

Butt says it was a tremendous honour to lead out The Magpies and is looking to prove he is worthy of an extended stay at the club.

"This was always going to be a difficult year for me coming back to Newcastle," Butt told the Evening Chronicle. "But I am the type of person who likes to prove people wrong and I feel that I have done that.

"When you go out on loan you never think you are going to come back.

"Anyone who says that they aren't are lying. I thought it was the end - who wouldn't?

"I didn't think I'd be coming back to the club nor be involved too much, if at all.

"But I had a word with Glenn when Newcastle played Birmingham at the end of last season and he said 'I look forward to you coming back'.

"After that it was a case of getting my head down and working for my chance.

"My main priority this year was to come back and prove I was a good player, and I wanted to come back and play for a club as big as Newcastle."

Butt has another year to run on his contract and he added: "I want to see out the remaining year of my career at Newcastle and, hopefully, spend more time here after that."

Possibly a more commanding captain than Parker, given less negative tactics by the manager and he might show the same level of skill he did at the world cup before last.