Harper hails Bramble performance

Scottish Mag

Newcastle United goalkeeper Steve Harper has heaped praise on defender Titus Bramble after his performance in the 0-0 draw against Chelsea on Sunday.

"That's the Titus Bramble that we all love to see," Harper told BBC Radio Newcastle.

"His contract is up in three weeks so it would have been easy for him not to care or just to go through the motions.

"Yet he has relished the challenge against a top player in Didier Drogba, and he was magnificent."

Harper added: "People probably expected Chelsea to turn up and turn us over, but we've worked hard this week to counter the threat of their set pieces and long-range shooting and it worked.

"Steven Taylor was given man of the match, but really there were seven or eight players who could have got it. All credit to them."

The Magpies have now gone unbeaten at home in the league this season against the top four Premiership sides.

"That's the Titus Bramble that we all love to see,"

Shame it never worked out for the lad then :lol:

Bye now!

That's why he was hung onto for so long though, if you could have got rid of the fuck up, he'd have been an excellent player.... it's just you can't (although he'll probably leave Newcastle and do just that :D ).

To be fair whilst most would agree that he will never be good enough with the likes of Paul Robinson being the type of name linked with a move to the club it could be a case of be careful what you wish for with Roeder and his targets.

Are we really going to be that much better of with the likes of Anton Ferdinand?

A few Bramble crunchers going in yesterday, but one swallow doesn't make a summer. Giving him a new contract would be a mistake, although I wouldn't be surprised if Allardyce or Redknapp turned him into an absolute beast.

Which would prove one thing, that its coaches and a decent manager that we need more so than a continual turnover of playing staff.. :lol:

I dunno if anyone can turn Bramble into a good player, there are times when he plays better than others but you always know he's liable to drop a bollock somewhere along the line and I don't think that's something that can be coached out of him, our last 3 managers have tried with no success.

To be fair whilst most would agree that he will never be good enough with the likes of Paul Robinson being the type of name linked with a move to the club it could be a case of be careful what you wish for with Roeder and his targets.

Are we really going to be that much better of with the likes of Anton Ferdinand?

Anton Ferdinand? I really doubt it (got all the makings of Shambles MKII).

Someone like Wes Brown? I'd hope so.

I dunno if anyone can turn Bramble into a good player, there are times when he plays better than others but you always know he's liable to drop a bollock somewhere along the line and I don't think that's something that can be coached out of him, our last 3 managers have tried with no success.

Playing along side someone like Woodgate for a few seasons might have helped (both him directly in is concentration and game and indirectly in the understanding of a settled partnership), but broadly I don't think he'll ever be coached out of his "oh shit" moments.

I wouldnt offer him a contract on his current wages but would consider it on lesser wages and as a squad player. With Gooch and Moore looking likely to go we will be left with Taylor so even bringing in another two centre halfs would still leave Ramage as 4th choice and I would much rather Bramble was playing than him.

Playing along side someone like Woodgate for a few seasons might have helped (both him directly in is concentration and game and indirectly in the understanding of a settled partnership), but broadly I don't think he'll ever be coached out of his "oh shit" moments.

That was the thing about selling Woodgate - imo it cost us two good players counting a "good" Titus - in fact Woody also made O'Brien look half decent so you could argue 2.5 good players at a push.