Chopra - £4m

Gemmill

A thread about Chopra, and nobody has mentioned how Ameobi was given more of a chance?

People mention it because its true, whether you rate him or not, and i didn't think he'd make it myself.

The fact is though, if the people who run this club knew what they were doing, when he still had a couple of years or more on his contract they have loaned him for a year to a championship side (instead of him festering away in the reserves and warming the bench), then if he bangs in a shitload we can sell him for decent fee as people will want him.

Erm, he did go out on loan, didn't he? :rolleyes:

I know he went for a while, but not a whole year unless i've remembered wrong! I think if he'd had a whole season and reached the kind of goals tally he has at Cardiff then we could have been looking at a decent fee for him as people will always take a gamble on goalscorers, even if they've done it at a lower level.

17 goals in 39 games at Barnsley

A thread about Chopra, and nobody has mentioned how Ameobi was given more of a chance?

People mention it because its true, whether you rate him or not, and i didn't think he'd make it myself.

The fact is though, if the people who run this club knew what they were doing, when he still had a couple of years or more on his contract they have loaned him for a year to a championship side (instead of him festering away in the reserves and warming the bench), then if he bangs in a shitload we can sell him for decent fee as people will want him.

I know he went for a while, but not a whole year unless i've remembered wrong! I think if he'd had a whole season and reached the kind of goals tally he has at Cardiff then we could have been looking at a decent fee for him as people will always take a gamble on goalscorers, even if they've done it at a lower level.

That was a start, which should have been followed either by giving him a run in our team if they thought him good enough or another year on loan, where he could have done what he has at Cardiff and then we could have got a good price for him.

That was a start, which should have been followed either by giving him a run in our team if they thought him good enough or another year on loan, where he could have done what he has at Cardiff and then we could have got a good price for him.

I don't understand this "give him a run in the team" thing. If he's good enough for the team, he'd be in it.

Example = Luque.

I don't understand this "give him a run in the team" thing. If he's good enough for the team, he'd be in it.

Example = Luque.

Agreed. Found his level.

Example = Luque.

The difference is giving a flying fuck about the team. If Luque is given a chance so what? If Chopra was given a chance you can bet that it meant the fucking world to him and he'd bust a fucking gut for the team.

Erm, he did go out on loan, didn't he? :)

Example = Luque.

The difference is giving a flying fuck about the team. If Luque is given a chance so what? If Chopra was given a chance you can bet that it meant the fucking world to him and he'd bust a fucking gut for the team.

So if you want it really really bad, you'll end up playing for Newcastle? Yeah, that's how it works :rolleyes: Chopra wasn't good enough for us at the time. He wanted first team football, so chose to go. Putting him in the team for the season might have made him happy, but we'd have been shite.

Erm, he did go out on loan, didn't he? :)

Example = Luque.

So if you want it really really bad, you'll end up playing for Newcastle? Yeah, that's how it works :rolleyes: Chopra wasn't good enough for us at the time. He wanted first team football, so chose to go. Putting him in the team for the season might have made him happy, but we'd have been shite.

You've taken me up wrongly there, I was stating that the difference between giving Chopra a run in the team compared to Luque is that Chopra would have put a bit of effort in and tried to do his best to keep his place as opposed to Luque who looked disinterested even when he got a game. I'm not saying that Chopra would have made it at PL level but he wasn't really given a fair crack it unlike Ameobi who got ample opportunity despite often looking out of his depth.