New double decker bridge across the Tyne: Shieldfield-Felling

Tom_NUFC

http://icnewcastle.icnetwork.co.uk/journal...-name_page.html

Cross the Tyne on a new double deckerApr 24 2007

By Daniel Cochlin, The Journal

This could be a vision of the future for Newcastle and Gateshead's historic Quayside - a new mile-long double decker bridge which would dramatically change the North-East's skyline.

With one level for vehicles and a second for cablecars to get pedestrians across the river, the massive structure would provide a modern accompaniment to the region's famed bridges.

The vision follows a column in The Journal earlier this month by Newcastle Gateshead Initiative chief executive Andrew Dixon.

He challenged North-East architects to come up with a new bridge to span the Tyne.

And renowned North architects RyderHKS have taken him up on it and produced drafts of a project which they hope would transform the area.

Executive director Mark Thompson believes his ambitious blueprint could relieve traffic on the central motorway, and allow massive investment in the east end of Newcastle.

Running from the Felling bypass in Gateshead to Shieldfield and the edge of Jesmond in Newcastle, the bridge would be just over a mile long, and cross the river at Ouseburn.

Mr Thompson added: "At this stage it is just an idea, but one we have had for quite some time.

"Something like this would obviously cost a lot, but we haven't got anywhere near that stage - it's simply that Andrew Dixon set the challenge and we have put this forward.

"The central motorway is the biggest barrier to expansion of the east end.

"I think it is going to need something of that scale is going to be needed to really make a difference - another single lane either way isn't going to be enough.

"It could also free up a lot of Gateshead for further investment and improve the traffic problems."

Mr Thompson said the cablecar plan was in response to a Gateshead Council proposition to install a ski-lift style way of getting passengers from the Quayside to the town centre.

He added: "There was a lot of talk about a cable car in Gateshead, and this could be incorporated into the bridge."

Mr Dixon said last night he was glad to see his comment had started to provoke debate about the future landscape of the Quayside, and added that the RyderHKS scheme could be realised.

He added: "One of the reasons I wrote the article was that people do talk about the possibility of more bridges over the Tyne and I wanted to stimulate debate.

"We really need a vision of the future that will help deal with congestion and help the next stage of regeneration.

"RyderHKS is a very well respected firm and the location they are talking about is the sort of area which could certainly do with a bridge like this."

A Newcastle City Council spokeswoman added: "We would need to see the scheme in more detail before we could give a meaningful comment."

Tunnel deal on way

The signing of the contract to build the new Tyne Tunnel is expected to take place this summer.

It follows the official confirmation yesterday of the consortium led by Bouygues Travaux Publics as the preferred bidder for the New Tyne Crossing.

A pre-development agreement will now be drawn up between Bouygues TP and the client and project sponsor, the Tyne and Wear Passenger Transport Authority. This will enable site investigations and surveys to proceed in advance of construction work starting in spring 2008.

The project includes financing, designing and building a second vehicle tunnel under the Tyne and refurbishing the existing vehicle tunnel.

I wish they'd get a fucking move on with the tunnel, been planned for years now.

It'll take them fucking years to do as well, I would imagine.

Tyne Tunnel - officially the second most dangerous in the UK after the Blackwall Tunnel (Northbound).

At least that one is free.......... :lol:

Mr Thompson said the cablecar plan was in response to a Gateshead Council proposition to install a ski-lift style way of getting passengers from the Quayside to the town centre.

Can the lazy feckers not walk like?

No fucker uses the nice big yellow buses they put on so I cant see them all queueing up to get on a ski lift.

No fucker uses the nice big yellow buses they put on so I cant see them all queueing up to get on a ski lift.

Blatently in the huff because you're getting a fuck off bridge next to your gaff.

Blatently in the huff because you're getting a fuck off bridge next to your gaff.

Not mine dahling I face towards the proper bridge :D

Aye, sounds like a white elephant to me too.

Aye, sounds like a white elephant to me too.

Thia idea does but the Tyne needs another crossing at Newcastle.