Sidwell: 'I'm not joining Newcastle'

Scottish Mag

CONTRACT-rebel Steve Sidwell has offered Reading fans a ray of hope by insisting he has not signed for Monday night's opponents Newcastle United (8pm ko, Sky Sports).

Reports are rife that Sidwell has already agreed to join the Magpies on a Bosman free transfer in the summer.

Manager Steve Coppell appeared resigned to losing his star midfielder after dropping him for the recent 1-0 home win against Fulham.

But the 24-year-old enforcer came back into the side for the 3-1 victory at Bolton last Saturday.

And Sidwell insists he is keeping his options open and will not rule out re-signing for the Royals despite turning down a contract offer reportedly worth around £25,000 per week.

"I had a long chat with the gaffer and I said it was fine with me whatever he decided,"stated Sidwell, who has also been linked with Manchester United, Chelsea, Aston Villa, Everton, Middlesbrough and Manchester City.

"He was on Sky Sports last week and he seems resigned to the fact I'm leaving this summer. But I'm keeping my options open.

"I know the season is beginning to wind down now,but I am not going to make any rash decisions.

"It is an important part of my career and I will speak to the people closest to me about what is the right decision.

"But I will wait until the very end of the season before I make a final one."

Sidwell could be swayed to agree a new deal with Reading if Coppell's side qualify for next season's UEFA Cup.

The Royals occupy seventh spot in the Premiership table with three matches remaining.

But Coppell warned the extra games and travelling may heap unnecessary pressure on his

"I don't think about Europe," he stated. "I have no targets but to win as many games as we can and, after 38 games,you get what you deserve.

"But, as Bolton found, Europe can be a feather in the cap but certainly no gravy train.

"You need a bigger squad and that means more money,which in time can be cumbersome and a hindrance.

"Europe at this time may not be good for us."

Meanwhile,England striker Michael Owen is expected to make his long-awaited return in Monday's game at the Madejski Stadium.

Owen, 27, has been sidelined for 10 months with cruciate ligament damage but he made his comeback for the Magpies' reserves last week.

Well if he turned round and said he was signing for us we'd be done for tapping him up.

He is free to talk to anyone

I thought we'd been over this, TWO DIFFERENT COUNTRIES :lol:

Well if he turned round and said he was signing for us we'd be done for tapping him up.

I thought this as well, but apparently due to his age he isn't allowed to talk to anyone till June. That's what a strnge man in a pub told me anyway. He didn't smell of wee either.

I thought this as well, but apparently due to his age he isn't allowed to talk to anyone till June. That's what a strnge man in a pub told me anyway. He didn't smell of wee either.

With six months or less remaining on an existing contract for players aged 23 or older, they are free to negotiate with other clubs

Sidwell is 24

Anyone else go to the Beardsley chat at St James' last night?

My cousin was there. Beardsley says both Sidwell and Distin are almost done deals.

I thought the Beardsley talk in was next Wednesday? :D

Happy with Distin coming back.

My cousin was there. Beardsley says both Sidwell and Distin are almost done deals.

Might have been a corporate do or something. He got shown around the changing rooms and that.

Might have been a corporate do or something. He got shown around the changing rooms and that.

Talk-in, corporate do.....it's beginning to sound like a molestation. :razz:

• 4 weeks later...