30th Anniversary

Super_Steve_Howey

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a shame the bloke that made THX & American Grafitti let his life get overtaken by the massive success of Star Wars. It was a good film, but it was losing it's appeal by Return of the Jedi. To string it out over 30 years is a total waste of a career. Brought in some coin for him though.

It was funny to see Lucas at the oscars presenting the Best Director award to scorsese along with his mates Spielberg and Copolla (and laughing at the fact he's the only one not to have won it). When their careers started, most people thought Lucas was the most talented and interesting of the lot.

I have no strong opinions either way.

Same with me. Like the original 3 but the way the fucking dweebs go about it man :lol: Jesus wept! Just good kids' films really.

Edit: Keep meaning to watch THX. American Graffitti is class though.

Edited by alex

Anyone watching them for the first time now would wonder what all the fuss was about, but those of us that saw it for the first time back in the 70's saw it as a groundbreaking jaw dropping movie, and if you loved it back then you probably love it still, I know I do, but I'm a self confessed sad bastard when it comes to Star Wars.

The original three are brilliant. The prequals are a bit naff but have their moments, they're nowhere near as bad as The Matrix sequals, for example.

Agreed, it least it took George Lucas 20 years to kill his baby, the Warshawski's only took a couple.

The Matrix was fucking shite.

I thought it was a fantastic action film with brilliant special effects, and even more impressive than that a half decent performance from Keanu Reeves. That's all though, some people (including the Wachowskis) saw it as one of the great stories of our time, and that the Animatrix and the sequals needed to be made.

If you didn't like Star Wars you're hardly likely to like the Matrix

I like Star Wars though. I think it was the jizz-fest over the Matrix that made it so disappointing when I saw it. In Empire and stuff it gets in top 10s of the greatest films of all-time. It wouldn't be in my top 100. If I could be arsed to compile such a list that is.

I like Star Wars though. I think it was the jizz-fest over the Matrix that made it so disappointing when I saw it. In Empire and stuff it gets in top 10s of the greatest films of all-time. It wouldn't be in my top 100. If I could be arsed to compile such a list that is.

I'd never heard of it when I went to see it. First night show was practically empty.

It was shit without raised expectations too.

Empire's a decent magazine, if you don't read the reviews. As I said, it's a great action film, nothing more.

The Matrix was ground-breaking, in the same way Star Wars was. You shouldn't judge films based on the hype, most of that is studio driven publicity. Matrix has stood the test of time as one of the all time classic stories in most people's minds

That's the kind of over the top bollocks I was on about. :lol:

Empire's a decent magazine, if you don't read the reviews. As I said, it's a great action film, nothing more.

It's a nerds wet dream, and that's all.

"If I sit at my PC and do fuck all, some people will knock at my door, give me a pill, tell me I'm Jesus, program me to be hard as nails so I don't actually have to work at it and one of them will be geet lush in a leather bodysuit and will hump me all over."

Utter shite.

Aye, it's canny. I meant the readers' polls etc. They're always overstocked with really contemporary stuff obviously but I bet the Matrix would still be top 20 in an all-time list. It's totally subjective obviously.

The Matrix was ground-breaking, in the same way Star Wars was. You shouldn't judge films based on the hype, most of that is studio driven publicity. Matrix has stood the test of time as one of the all time classic stories in most people's minds

I guarantee you're in the minority in the wider world of film lovers. It was gorund-breaking in terms of story and effects.

I guarantee you're in the minority in the wider world of film lovers. It was gorund-breaking in terms of story and effects.

In terms of story it wasn't.