30th Anniversary

Super_Steve_Howey

If you didn't like Star Wars you're hardly likely to like the Matrix

I like Star Wars though. I think it was the jizz-fest over the Matrix that made it so disappointing when I saw it. In Empire and stuff it gets in top 10s of the greatest films of all-time. It wouldn't be in my top 100. If I could be arsed to compile such a list that is.

Empire's a decent magazine, if you don't read the reviews. As I said, it's a great action film, nothing more.

It's a nerds wet dream, and that's all.

"If I sit at my PC and do fuck all, some people will knock at my door, give me a pill, tell me I'm Jesus, program me to be hard as nails so I don't actually have to work at it and one of them will be geet lush in a leather bodysuit and will hump me all over."

Utter shite.

:lol: Fair enough.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

The Matrix was ground-breaking, in the same way Star Wars was. You shouldn't judge films based on the hype, most of that is studio driven publicity. Matrix has stood the test of time as one of the all time classic stories in most people's minds

That's the kind of over the top bollocks I was on about. :lol:

I guarantee you're in the minority in the wider world of film lovers. It was gorund-breaking in terms of story and effects.

In terms of story it wasn't.

Who had done it before then?

The Matrix was ground-breaking, in the same way Star Wars was. You shouldn't judge films based on the hype, most of that is studio driven publicity. Matrix has stood the test of time as one of the all time classic stories in most people's minds

That's the kind of over the top bollocks I was on about. :D

I guarantee you're in the minority in the wider world of film lovers. It was gorund-breaking in terms of story and effects.

Aye, that was my problem with it. Yeah the slow motion kicks to the face looked nice, but the story was as weak as piss.

And Happy Face. :lol: That's spot on. Plus it spawned a load of fucking geeks walking around in ankle length leather jackets thinking they're the biz - no, you're still a perfect nerd, you just happen to be wearing a leather jacket now....oooo don't slow-motion hit me. :lol:

Nor in terms of effects either tbh.

Time slice was an old technique that they (all credit due) modernised to capture a moving body to create bullet time. So the film makers came up with a single new technique that isn't really usable by other film-makers because it's too showy and too tied up with the matrix to come across as anything but an already cliched rip-off.

It put a messianic storyline into a Sci-fi setting. I'm not suggesting it copied anything exactly like another film, just that the storyline itself was rather typical of loads of films. The ideas for the setting were taken from other sci-fi writers too, I don't think they came up with anything that ground-breaking. The innovation was probably in using the ground-breaking special effects to realise the vision. Anyway, you like it mate, I not particularly arsed about it. I don't think it's shit or anything by any means but I didn't find it particularly thought-provoking either.

It put a messianic storyline into a Sci-fi setting. I'm not suggesting it copied anything exactly like another film, just that the storyline itself was rather typical of loads of films. The ideas for the setting were taken from other sci-fi writers too, I don't think they came up with anything that ground-breaking. The innovation was probably in using the ground-breaking special effects to realise the vision. Anyway, you like it mate, I not particularly arsed about it. I don't think it's shit or anything by any means but I didn't find it particularly thought-provoking either.

Like what? I'm struggling to think of any.

I can see why people thought you might be Invicta SSH :lol:

To be more precise, I meant the overall theme of one person (a chosen one) who can save the world/humanity. I think that's been done before :D

Like what? I'm struggling to think of any.

Life of Brian. :D

I'd be quite interested to know what the people who think The Matrix was a run of the mill film, do actually believe were ground-breaking movies...

Who said it was?

To be more precise, I meant the overall theme of one person (a chosen one) who can save the world/humanity. I think that's been done before :D

I don't think it was ground breaking in that respect - I think you would agree that is a pretty wide genre of pre-existing films ideas there. I'm talking about the specific storyline and the elements pulled together there-in.

I don't think it was ground breaking in that respect - I think you would agree that is a pretty wide genre of pre-existing films ideas there. I'm talking about the specific storyline and the elements pulled together there-in.

To be honest mate, I saw it once a while ago and I have no intention of watching it again. That's probably all you need to know as it's all I need to know. HF summed it up for me as a nerds wet dream - not a dig at you btw, more what I thought as I watched it. It's been too long for me to be able to say much more about the storyline but I don't remember it being that original (rather cliched iirc). Like I said, the setting is a different matter. I'd give Carrie-Anne Moss one though.

I'd be quite interested to know what the people who think The Matrix was not a ground breaking film a run of the mill film, do actually believe were ground-breaking movies...

Who said it was?

Fixed :lol:

:D

Is it Carrie Ann Moss that was in Memento? Now that was a quality film.

Aye and Joe Pantoliano, but I thought it was shite.

Is it Carrie Ann Moss that was in Memento? Now that was a quality film.

Aye and Joe Pantoliano, but I thought it was shite.

Could've done with some stormtroopers. :lol:

Aye and a few lightsabers and a mesiah like character that does kung fo !!

Percieved reality is really an interactive computer simulation created to provide a power source for a machine civilisation that replaced the human race, aided and abbeted by our own notions of existence.

I think that's a pretty original concept

Sounds like Tron to me.

Percieved reality is really an interactive computer simulation created to provide a power source for a machine civilisation that replaced the human race, aided and abbeted by our own notions of existence.

Didn't William Gibson come up with the concept of 'The Matrix' about 20 years before the film though?

Didn't William Gibson come up with the concept of 'The Matrix' about 20 years before the film though?

He should have made a film about it then :lol:

When I say originality, I am of course talking about original movies

Gibson is credited with it aye.

There are 2 elements of the matrix that i like.

One is the analogy to the modern consumer world that western culture is locked into and the pursuit of wealth being a false promise.

The second is more of an intrigue as i understand that the whole thing is meant to be a gnostic parable. Not sure of the details on that but it always intrigued me.

Anyway, in terms of original stories, i have a very literary friend who sometime ago lent me Byrons epic poem on Don Juan. I asked him if this was the best version to read and in his enigmatic way said something like 'There have only ever been 4 (or 5?) stories ever told, each writer just re-interprets the same stories that have been told for hundreds of years"

Now he may have been talking shite but he did go on to explain what he meant and it made sense at the time. Unfortunately i cant relate it now, nor do i want to call him and ask, though i will the next time i see him.

I hope that helps :lol:

Sounds like Tron to me.

Not really. In Tron they know they are in a virtual reality. And it was annoying as shit to watch, I still don't think I've sat all the way through it.