30th Anniversary

Super_Steve_Howey

Percieved reality is really an interactive computer simulation created to provide a power source for a machine civilisation that replaced the human race, aided and abbeted by our own notions of existence.

I think that's a pretty original concept

Didn't William Gibson come up with the concept of 'The Matrix' about 20 years before the film though?

He should have made a film about it then :D

When I say originality, I am of course talking about original movies

You should have said that instead of concept then :lol:

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Gibson is credited with it aye.

There are 2 elements of the matrix that i like.

One is the analogy to the modern consumer world that western culture is locked into and the pursuit of wealth being a false promise.

The second is more of an intrigue as i understand that the whole thing is meant to be a gnostic parable. Not sure of the details on that but it always intrigued me.

Anyway, in terms of original stories, i have a very literary friend who sometime ago lent me Byrons epic poem on Don Juan. I asked him if this was the best version to read and in his enigmatic way said something like 'There have only ever been 4 (or 5?) stories ever told, each writer just re-interprets the same stories that have been told for hundreds of years"

Now he may have been talking shite but he did go on to explain what he meant and it made sense at the time. Unfortunately i cant relate it now, nor do i want to call him and ask, though i will the next time i see him.

I hope that helps :lol:

I think it's some theory of classical literature that there are only about 7 different stories. As for the gnosticism, have you read VALIS yet? :D

Percieved reality is really an interactive computer simulation created to provide a power source for a machine civilisation that replaced the human race, aided and abbeted by our own notions of existence.

Sounds like Tron to me.

Not really. In Tron they know they are in a virtual reality. And it was annoying as shit to watch, I still don't think I've sat all the way through it.

Do they not in the Matrix like?

You're basically claiming it's hugely original because no-one's made a film called the matrix about the Matrix.

Tron, Superman, Ghost In The shell and any other film that shares the same themes are disregarded by you because they aren't identical. Oasis don't play all the same notes in the same order, but they've lived off the Beatles for 7(?) albums.

I don't think there's anyone alive who at the age of five didn't look at their hand and think "I wonder if that's really there" or look in the mirror and think "is that what other people see" or look at blue and think "I wonder if other people see pink". There's nothing original about the ideas in the film.

One is the analogy to the modern consumer world that western culture is locked into and the pursuit of wealth being a false promise.

The second is more of an intrigue as i understand that the whole thing is meant to be a gnostic parable. Not sure of the details on that but it always intrigued me.

Anyway, in terms of original stories, i have a very literary friend who sometime ago lent me Byrons epic poem on Don Juan. I asked him if this was the best version to read and in his enigmatic way said something like 'There have only ever been 4 (or 5?) stories ever told, each writer just re-interprets the same stories that have been told for hundreds of years"

Now he may have been talking shite but he did go on to explain what he meant and it made sense at the time. Unfortunately i cant relate it now, nor do i want to call him and ask, though i will the next time i see him.

I think it's some theory of classical literature that there are only about 7 different stories. As for the gnosticism, have you read VALIS yet? :lol:

Not yet but the fact that it has something to do with gnosticism is even better. Always intrigued me without ever knowing much about it.

I couldnt remember much about the conversation with my friend. Less than i thought too. I wonder why :D:D

Star Wars and Memento are both fantastic films (two of my favourites) but The Matrix is just a good action movie, nothing more imo. I have it on DVD and I enjoy watching it but I don't consider it anywhere near one of the best films ever made. That generally seems to be a veiwpoint of people who haven't seen a very wide range of films.

Sounds like Tron to me.

Not really. In Tron they know they are in a virtual reality. And it was annoying as shit to watch, I still don't think I've sat all the way through it.

You're basically claiming it's hugely original because no-one's made a film called the matrix about the Matrix.

Tron, Superman, Ghost In The shell and any other film that shares the same themes are disregarded by you because they aren't identical. Oasis don't play all the same notes in the same order, but they've lived off the Beatles for 7(?) albums.

I don't think there's anyone alive who at the age of five didn't look at their hand and think "I wonder if that's really there" or look in the mirror and think "is that what other people see" or look at blue and think "I wonder if other people see pink". There's nothing original about the ideas in the film.

Superman? You've lost me there. The idea that the simulation is unknown to the masses is central to the Matrix, nothing like what occurs in Tron. I think you've generalised originality in the same way Alex did.

I think it's some theory of classical literature that there are only about 7 different stories. As for the gnosticism, have you read VALIS yet? :D

Not yet but the fact that it has something to do with gnosticism is even better. Always intrigued me without ever knowing much about it.

I couldnt remember much about the conversation with my friend. Less than i thought too. I wonder why :D:P

That shit always sounds better when you're stoned. :lol:

Sounds like Tron to me.

Superman? You've lost me there. The idea that the simulation is unknown to the masses is central to the Matrix, nothing like what occurs in Tron. I think you've generalised originality in the same way Alex did.

I assume HF mentioned Superman because it's basically a story about the coming of a Messiah just Neo is in The Matrix.

Sounds like Tron to me.

RE superman - The christ figure, the one, saviour of humanity.

Sounds like Tron to me.

IIt's original if you're unaware of its influences. :lol:

I don't see how there not being a film made about the Matrix before makes its storyline original tbh. It's like saying a straight adaptation from a novel to a film is original in terms of its storyline if it's the first time a film has been made of it.

I found the Matrix too tedious to sit through tbh, couldn't tell you what it was about because I fell asleep watching it. SSH's description of it makes it sound like pretentious crap though. :lol:

On an off chance, has anyone read a book called "Captive Universe" by Harry Harrison? That is one fantastic story about reality not appearing as it really is, and makes absolute sense. It would make a superb film, but I can't even find the book now, it's out of print.

Is there anyway I can make a screenplay of it and sell the idea to Hollwood? :D

Well...not really, because those characters are in no way singled out as special.

Anyway, iirc the fact that 'humanity' are unaware that life is a simulation in the Matrix is as insignificant as to almost be a Maguffin.

I found the Matrix too tedious to sit through tbh, couldn't tell you what it was about because I fell asleep watching it. SSH's description of it makes it sound like pretentious crap though. :lol:

On an off chance, has anyone read a book called "Captive Universe" by Harry Harrison? That is one fantastic story about reality not appearing as it really is, and makes absolute sense. It would make a superb film, but I can't even find the book now, it's out of print.

You can get it 2nd hand on amazon for next to nowt. Might invest. If it's shit, I'm blaming you.

You can get it 2nd hand on amazon for next to nowt. Might invest. If it's shit, I'm blaming you.

No, it's not, it's excellent imho, if you like "things aren't what they appear to be" Sci-Fi. Would definitely make a good film too.

Well...not really, because those characters are in no way singled out as special.

Anyway, iirc the fact that 'humanity' are unaware that life is a simulation in the Matrix is as insignificant as to almost be a Maguffin.

What's a maguffin?

And I disagree. It's the central point of the movie.

Not sure about there only being a few original stories tbh. The Aristocats and Mary Poppins are two that I can think of just off the top of my head.

Mary Poppins is another on the messaniac theme, obviously.

Edited by Renton

Not sure about there only being a few original stories tbh. The Aristocats and Mary Poppins are two that I can think of just off the top of my head.

Mary Poppins is another on the messianic theme, obviously.

Are we talking about Dick Van Dyke?

Mary Poppins is another on the messaniac theme, obviously.

The Gospels too.

Edited by alex

I think its more to do with 'themes' like 'redemption, sacrifice, love etc', then again i could be talking wank.

Not as bad as getting caught having one though.