30th Anniversary

Super_Steve_Howey

Not sure about there only being a few original stories tbh. The Aristocats and Mary Poppins are two that I can think of just off the top of my head.

I think its more to do with 'themes' like 'redemption, sacrifice, love etc', then again i could be talking wank.

Not as bad as getting caught having one though.

I reckon Kill Bill is about revenge like. :D

Aren't there 7 kinds of joke too? And 7 deadly sins? Sexual positions? Is 7 significant?

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure about there only being a few original stories tbh. The Aristocats and Mary Poppins are two that I can think of just off the top of my head.

I think its more to do with 'themes' like 'redemption, sacrifice, love etc', then again i could be talking wank.

Aren't there 7 kinds of joke too? And 7 deadly sins? Sexual positions? Is 7 significant?

There are more than just her on top like are there?

7 ways to leave your lover. 6 million ways to die though.

I reckon Kill Bill is about revenge like. :razz:

There are more than just her on top like are there?

:D

Well...not really, because those characters are in no way singled out as special.

Anyway, iirc the fact that 'humanity' are unaware that life is a simulation in the Matrix is as insignificant as to almost be a Maguffin.

What's a maguffin?

And I disagree. It's the central point of the movie.

It's a plot device used to hang your story off that's not actually very important in the scheme of things. Like the Maltese Falcon for example. We don't give a toss about the statue, just the people chasing it. Similarly the breifcase in Pulp fiction, which goes so far as to not bother telling you what's even inside.

The Matrix of The Matrix is ostensibly more integral to the plot but in the grand scheme of things it's just like alice's wonderland or the fantasy underworld of Pans Labyrinth, an imagined place for the characters to go and have their adventures.

Well...not really, because those characters are in no way singled out as special.

Anyway, iirc the fact that 'humanity' are unaware that life is a simulation in the Matrix is as insignificant as to almost be a Maguffin.

What's a maguffin?

It's a plot device used to hang your story off that's not actually very important in the scheme of things. Like the Maltese Falcon for example. We don't give a toss about the statue, just the people chasing it. Similarly the breifcase in Pulp fiction, which goes so far as to not bother telling you what's even inside.

The Matrix of The Matrix is ostensibly more integral to the plot but in the grand scheme of things it's just like alice's wonderland or the fantasy underworld of Pans Labyrinth, an imagined place for the characters to go and have their adventures.

Not at all. The Matrix and the limits it imposes is essential to the story. It's nothing like as uninvolved as the Maltese Falcon.

What's a maguffin?

Not at all. The Matrix and the limits it imposes is essential to the story. It's nothing like as uninvolved as the Maltese Falcon.

That's why I said it's "almost" a maguffin. My point was, it's just another imaginary world like the land of Oz. Doesn't matter where or how these places exist, just an age old storytelling tool to take the characters out of normality so they can strive to get back.