on this day 1992 / newcastle 1 portsmouth 0

themags

15 years ago! :D

Fucking hell!!!! I still remember doing the conga in the Milburn paddock after the final whistle.

Still remember the hangover next morning too. :razz:

The fact that he went on to play for the Mackems has been erased from my mind. He'll always be a special player in my memory :o

i remember running on the pitch from the east stand paddock at fulkl time and being confronted by a big fook police dog :razz:

and as for the hangover............. :D

I was a guest of match day sponsor Russell Office Systems and the reception Ned got when he came in for his MOTM award was amazing. Nearly shook his hand off and he was brilliant with us gibbering idiots. He was sorry to miss out with the rest of the team going for a night out as he had to go back to the Midlands but he knew full well that the fans would drink his share and more.

Top bloke.

Edited by East Stander

I remember that game, and getting more and more frustrated as the game went on, thinking we were knackered.

And there was some old Pompey bat kept ringing a f*cking bell.

As it turned out it was that game and that goal that was the most important, but it should be remembered that at the time we didn't know that.

As things stood we still weren't safe, and the last game of the season away to Leicester was still massive for us.

When I think back, I remember both games well, but the Leicester game always sticks in the mind that bit clearer. Maybe because I was down there, and it was a very dramatic day. I've never known a day or a match like that.

Guest stevieintoon

Still got the scars.

There was only five minutes to go, and Quinn came on as sub, I forget who for, and he lobbed the ball over his shoulder what seemed very aimlessly, but from no where there he was "SCOORRRRRRRRE" "GEDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDINNNIINNIIENNIEDKJDKDJKKDKDKJD" I had moved from the back of the Scoreboard near the corner to 30 yards further forward in the space of about 10 seconds, priceless, priceless goal. People say "I'd wonder where we'd be if he hadn't have scored it." As it happens a draw in that game and at Leicester where we won as well would've kept us up.

Aye. I think Kelly definitely deserved the chance to play for us in the Prem. I was gutted when he went.

I remember that game against Leicester. After our second right at the end, the Leicester fans ran on the pitch (though for some bizarre reason the media said it was us - couldn't believe that when I got back and saw it on the ITN news. Talking about Newcastle fans on the pitch, even though the TV pictures clearly showed people in Leicester shirts and with blue and white scarves etc. I think there were about 2 NUFC fans got on, but really with that fence up in front and the Stewards and Police lined up, we couldn't have got on even if we wanted to. There were people climbing and hanging on the fence, but that was all). Anyway, the ref took the players off, but Kelly was stuck and had Leicester fans between him and the tunnel and they were running for him. He ran over to us, and the lads at the front had to pull him in to our section (the fence was only about 6 foot high).

Guest stevieintoon

Aye. I think Kelly definitely deserved the chance to play for us in the Prem. I was gutted when he went.

I remember that game against Leicester. After our second right at the end, the Leicester fans ran on the pitch (though for some bizarre reason the media said it was us - couldn't believe that when I got back and saw it on the ITN news. Talking about Newcastle fans on the pitch, even though the TV pictures clearly showed people in Leicester shirts and with blue and white scarves etc. I think there were about 2 NUFC fans got on, but really with that fence up in front and the Stewards and Police lined up, we couldn't have got on even if we wanted to. There were people climbing and hanging on the fence, but that was all). Anyway, the ref took the players off, but Kelly was stuck and had Leicester fans between him and the tunnel and they were running for him. He ran over to us, and the lads at the front had to pull him in to our section (the fence was only about 6 foot high).

1991/1992 was a legendary season. Bristol City home, Pompey home, Derby away, Leicester away all four in my top 20 toon occasions.