Oba: we can be challengers

Jimbo

Martins: Watch us go next year

By GARY PAYNE

April 26, 2007

OBAFEMI MARTINS insists Newcastle will be shock challengers for the title next season — once all their strikers are fit.

The Nigerian star reckons Toon will be unstoppable when crocked hitmen Michael Owen and Shola Ameobi both return.

Newcastle have languished in the bottom half all year, relying on 17-goal top scorer Martins to do all the donkey work up front on his own.

But Owen is close to a comeback following his year-long recovery from a knee injury while Ameobi could start for the first time since November at Reading on Monday night.

Martins, 22, said: “Where can Newcastle aim to be next season? Fight for the league title, play for a Champions League place and also target the FA and Carling Cups.

“We have the players, manager and fans to make it happen and I really think we can do it. Losing Owen and Shola was a terrible setback.

"But their return couldn’t come at a better time. I think we’ll form a great team.

“Shola was doing well before he went for surgery. I was getting used to playing with him but he will bring a lot to the squad.

“More interesting for me is the return of Michael Owen. I really would love to play alongside him as soon as possible.”

Former Inter star Martins, who sealed a £10million move to St James’ Park last summer, insists he is is not satisfied with his form and vowed to give more.

He said: “It’s been very, very frustrating for me but what else can I do?

"I was left with Antoine Sibierski to carry the scoring responsibilities. It was so massive but we gave it our all.

“I still feel like we needed to do more up front — the fans deserve more than the number of goals we’ve scored so far.

“We are in a disappointing mid-table position and need to fight hard to rescue what we can from the remaining games.”

Eight-goal strike partner Sibierski is ready to sign a new one-year deal with Newcastle.

The Frenchman, 32, has impressed boss Glenn Roeder since arriving on a free transfer from Manchester City last summer.

He said: “We have agreed a new contract. I am confident I’m going to sign in the next week or so for another year.”

If we can get some decent defenders in the summer then it's possible. Good man, great attitude. :razz:

Is it really essential for a musician to be stoned most of the time? :rolleyes:

Strange, it makes me even more cynical for some reason :)

If we can get some decent defenders in the summer then it's possible. Good man, great attitude. :razz:

Hmm, or you would be more like Renton if you weren't stoned?

No, I'd still be lighter.

I gave all that up a looooong time ago. :)

Seriously though, a fit Owen should be worth a few places higher, Shola's record under Roeder is great, and there'll be hell to pay if we don't get a few good defenders in. Midfield isn't bad as long as he doesn't play Butt and Parker together.

*looks at half full glass* :D

Correct you mean?

And Alex, shut it!

If we can get some decent defenders in the summer then it's possible. Good man, great attitude. :D

Is it really essential for a musician to be stoned most of the time? :)

Strange, it makes me even more cynical for some reason :razz:

Correct you mean?

And Alex, shut it!

:rolleyes::)

Champions League here we come btw

Guest Patrokles

It's like that oft-trotted out quote about shooting for the moon. I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing, wrong as he might be.

It's like that oft-trotted out quote about shooting for the moon. I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing, wrong as he might be.

Yeah. I like to have a pop at everything though :rolleyes:

Guest Patrokles

I think saying we have a chance of the league makes him look like an idiot personally. Not surprised Patrokles disagrees though.

Any need? No wonder you started the bullying thread! Conscience? :rolleyes:

Edited by Patrokles

I think saying we have a chance of the league makes him look like an idiot personally. Not surprised Patrokles disagrees though.

Any need? No wonder you started the bullying thread! Conscience? :)

No, it's just plainly a silly thing for him to say and achieves nothing but rolling eyes, but it is entirely predictable you would defend him as you do for everyone who says ott positive stuff about us.

No bullying, honest. :rolleyes:

Yeah. I like to have a pop at everything though :rolleyes:

:)

Well you are a pop star!

:razz:

Guest Patrokles

Any need? No wonder you started the bullying thread! Conscience? :)

No, it's just plainly a silly thing for him to say and achieves nothing but rolling eyes, but it is entirely predictable you would defend him as you do for everyone who says ott positive stuff about us.

No bullying, honest. :rolleyes:

Well, you say that, but aren't you one of the ones who will often come up with the 'expectations successfully lowered' kind of quote? How does this tally with someone actually showing ambition and high expectations? Would you rather he didn't say he felt we could achieve something? Imagine the slating he'd get if he said 'yeah, I'm settled in for scrappy draws at bolton next year.'