Oba: we can be challengers

Jimbo

I think saying we have a chance of the league makes him look like an idiot personally. Not surprised Patrokles disagrees though.

Any need? No wonder you started the bullying thread! Conscience? :)

No, it's just plainly a silly thing for him to say and achieves nothing but rolling eyes, but it is entirely predictable you would defend him as you do for everyone who says ott positive stuff about us.

No bullying, honest. :rolleyes:

Well, you say that, but aren't you one of the ones who will often come up with the 'expectations successfully lowered' kind of quote? How does this tally with someone actually showing ambition and high expectations? Would you rather he didn't say he felt we could achieve something? Imagine the slating he'd get if he said 'yeah, I'm settled in for scrappy draws at bolton next year.'

Imagine how much better our season would of been if we had of been able to actually get those type of results!

On a slightly serious note, what are we - 7 wins off being 4th? And Arsenal have hardly had a fantastic season. On the flip side, we should be looking at challenging for (and getting) 5th place next season. That's where our ambitions have to be as a minimum for me.

I think saying we have a chance of the league makes him look like an idiot personally. Not surprised Patrokles disagrees though.

Any need? No wonder you started the bullying thread! Conscience? :)

No, it's just plainly a silly thing for him to say and achieves nothing but rolling eyes, but it is entirely predictable you would defend him as you do for everyone who says ott positive stuff about us.

Well, you say that, but aren't you one of the ones who will often come up with the 'expectations successfully lowered' kind of quote? How does this tally with someone actually showing ambition and high expectations? Would you rather he didn't say he felt we could achieve something? Imagine the slating he'd get if he said 'yeah, I'm settled in for scrappy draws at bolton next year.'

I expect him to say something along the lines of "I think we will improve and score much more goals when Michael is back". That's fine. But saying we have a chance of winning the league is blatently ludicrous and achieves nothing but ridicule. Whatever, you disagree, hardly a point we're going to see eye to eye on and hardly one that matters. What does matter if whether they can play together and I have major reservations about that.

Guest Patrokles

Any need? No wonder you started the bullying thread! Conscience? :razz:

I expect him to say something along the lines of "I think we will improve and score much more goals when Michael is back". That's fine. But saying we have a chance of winning the league is blatently ludicrous and achieves nothing but ridicule. Whatever, you disagree, hardly a point we're going to see eye to eye on and hardly one that matters. What does matter if whether they can play together and I have major reservations about that.

Don't you dare WHATEVER me, young man! :)

Any need? No wonder you started the bullying thread! Conscience? :D

No bullying, honest. :)

Don't you dare WHATEVER me, young man! :razz:

:rolleyes:

Martins: Watch us go next year

By GARY PAYNE

April 26, 2007

OBAFEMI MARTINS insists Newcastle will be shock challengers for the title next season — once all their strikers are fit.

The Nigerian star reckons Toon will be unstoppable when crocked hitmen Michael Owen and Shola Ameobi both return.

Newcastle have languished in the bottom half all year, relying on 17-goal top scorer Martins to do all the donkey work up front on his own.

A role Shola was made for, shirley?

Heh, I could maybe see us getting a 5-6th or at an outside a shock 4th if we buy right (and have at LOT to spend), everything goes well and not injuries.

But winning it is frankly beyond what we should be aiming at at present, it's more than unrealistic (although I'd like to be proved wrong).

I don't see why he's getting so much flak for talking optimistically, it was just a throw away paper comment and some have picked up on it and want to crucify the fella for it. I'm personally pleased to see that he has such lofty ambitions.

More to the point is the fact that him and Owen won't work together as long as our midfield remains as uncreative as it has been.

I don't see why he's getting so much flak for talking optimistically, it was just a throw away paper comment and some have picked up on it and want to crucify the fella for it. I'm personally pleased to see that he has such lofty ambitions.

More to the point is the fact that him and Owen won't work together as long as our midfield remains as uncreative as it has been.

Well that's no different to what Roeder gets really.

In fairness though it's much better to have a player that believe you can win the league than one that doesn't (which is why IMO everyone at the club should be aiming to get a Champions League place, even if it probably isn't realistic next season, just winning the league seems a bit far too me).

But yeah it's difficult to see Martins and Owen flourishing together as a pair without someone in the middle that has real creative quality, or at the very least out current wingers playing a great deal better.

On the plus side, as long as he continues to think along these lines, he's less likely to want to leave to join a club that genuinely has title aspirations (not that I imagine any of them will be battering down our door for him). I think next season will dispel any foolish beliefs he had about us challenging for the title anytime soon though.

On the plus side, as long as he continues to think along these lines, he's less likely to want to leave to join a club that genuinely has title aspirations (not that I imagine any of them will be battering down our door for him). I think next season will dispel any foolish beliefs he had about us challenging for the title anytime soon though.

Someone on N-O said they thought he could be paving the way to leave in January if the season doesn't live up to expectations. Now that is taking the pessimistic view. :rolleyes:

Someone on N-O said they thought he could be paving the way to leave in January if the season doesn't live up to expectations. Now that is taking the pessimistic view. :rolleyes:

Renton talk tbh.

Renton talk tbh.

Hey, that's genius, wish I'd thought of it.

Was it Wullie per chance? :)

Renton talk tbh.

Hey, that's genius, wish I'd thought of it.

Was it Wullie per chance? :)

Belfast Boy. Canny funny I thought, although I think he was being serious.

Edited by alex

On a slightly serious note, what are we - 7 wins off being 4th? And Arsenal have hardly had a fantastic season. On the flip side, we should be looking at challenging for (and getting) 5th place next season. That's where our ambitions have to be as a minimum for me.

It's a strange league this year, barring the top 4 really.

Be interesting to see how say Bolton do in the league next year if they go any distance in europe.