1 tbsp cornflour

½ tsp yeast extract

300-350ml light vegan ale

210g ready rolled puff pastry

800g floury potatoes, peeled

100ml unsweetened soya milk

Method

Preheat Oven to Gas 6/200C/400F.

1. Melt 50g of margarine in a large non-stick frying pan (you may find it easier to do in two batches). Chop the bottom 7cm part of the spring onions roughly and sauté briefly. Save the tops as you will need them later.

2. Cut the mushrooms into 5mm slices and add into the pan. Continue to sauté for 5 minutes until starting to colour, stirring to prevent sticking.

3. Take off the heat and sprinkle the cornflour over. Once back on the hob add the Marmite and 300ml of ale. Cook for a further 5 minutes or until mushrooms begin to soften. Use more ale if the mixture seems too dry.

4. Divide the mixture into 4 small soufflé/ceramic pie dishes. Cut out 4 circles of the pastry and place on top, leaving some room to rise. Brush with soya milk and make a small hole in the top to let the steam escape. Bake for 20 minutes until golden.

5. Cut the potatoes into large chunks and boil until soft but not falling apart. Drain and empty back into the pan to dry slightly. Add the remaining 50g margarine and mash very well. Finely chop the remaining green part of the spring onions and add, with enough soya milk, to make a smooth mash.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Just for you :)

Ale and Mushroom Puff Pastry Pie with Champ

This bullying is going too far.

:rolleyes:

Vegeterianism is for girls and gays: FACT.

Don't you start :razz:

That sounds nice btw Berb, although I'd use propa milk and marj.

Oh, and:

300-350ml light vegan ale

:rolleyes: tastic

Vegan ale? Wtf is that? Sounds like Romulan wine [\geek].

Light vegan ale, no less. Just in case the removal of any kind of flavour and nutrition isn't enough. :)

Can anyone shed any light on why vegetarianism is usually associated non-enjoyment of life? I mean, it's bad enough not eating meat, but I can understand the reasons why and could just about do it. But in many veggie restaurants they don't even serve alcohol and in the past have forbidden smoking (not so relevant now). Why?

Can anyone shed any light on why vegetarianism is usually associated non-enjoyment of life? I mean, it's bad enough not eating meat, but I can understand the reasons why and could just about do it. But in many veggie restaurants they don't even serve alcohol and in the past have forbidden smoking (not so relevant now). Why?

As a veggie I'd have to say I don't know. Would you associate me with non-enjoyment of life though? :rolleyes:

As a veggie I'd have to say I don't know. Would you associate me with non-enjoyment of life though? :rolleyes:

No, obviously not, nor any other veggies I know. Coming to think of it my post was based on three restaurants in Paris and on Hitler. :)

As a veggie I'd have to say I don't know. Would you associate me with non-enjoyment of life though? :)

No, obviously not, nor any other veggies I know. Coming to think of it my post was based on three restaurants in Paris and on Hitler. :D

:rolleyes: Ignorance. That's how the best prejudices are formed :razz:

Don't agree with vegetarianism myself. Vegetables are living things as well. Living things have to be killed for food regardless

That's a joke, right?

I'd guess not :lol@:

Don't agree with vegetarianism myself. Vegetables are living things as well. Living things have to be killed for food regardless

That's a joke, right?

If you have to ask.

I don't agree with people who're vegetarians because they don't like the thought of killing something to eat it.

people who don't eat meat for medical reasons and those who refuse to eat animals who've been severely mistreated are all fine and fair enough. But serisouly people who're veggies because eating "meat is murder" should have their canines forcibly removed and pinned to their forhead so we can spot the stupid fuckers and avoid them.

Re: Veggies=Killjoys, I think that it's not neccesarily true, but often the case that people who take a moralistic approach to vegetarianism also tend to be a bit breathy-social-worker-type. The simpering idiots who'll try and reason with charvers and who think all life is sacred or something :rolleyes: