Goodbye, Babylon

Guest Patrokles

Guest Patrokles

I long since gave up starting music recommendation threads

Isn't that what the "Currently listening to" thread is for?

I always assumed that was a thread for what I was currently listening to. Which wasn't the Goodbye, Babylon box.

I always assumed that was a thread for what I was currently listening to. Which wasn't the Goodbye, Babylon box.

:rolleyes:

so what are you listening to, prove it is not goodbye Babylon :)

Guest Patrokles

Wasn't there a music quiz show where they'd ask the contestant what they're currently listening to? If people took it as literally as Patrokles, everyone would have answered "you".

I think you'll find that some of the answers in the 'what are you currently listening to?' thread are literally, what they're listening to, like their neighbour's dog barking, etc.

Anyway, this is exactly my point about trying to post anything positive on the boards. It's a fascinating box set, and it goes beyond just the music, or whatnot, and I thought maybe one or two others might be interested in it. I'll just go back to being obnoxious, ta.

Wasn't there a music quiz show where they'd ask the contestant what they're currently listening to? If people took it as literally as Patrokles, everyone would have answered "you".

I think you'll find that some of the answers in the 'what are you currently listening to?' thread are literally, what they're listening to, like their neighbour's dog barking, etc.

Anyway, this is exactly my point about trying to post anything positive on the boards. It's a fascinating box set, and it goes beyond just the music, or whatnot, and I thought maybe one or two others might be interested in it. I'll just go back to being obnoxious, ta.

What sort of stuff is it anyway, I've never heard of that label.

Religious :rolleyes:

Guest Patrokles

I'm not sure if you're familiar with chap called Harry Smith, but DTD was inspired by his work. Smith obsessively compiled a collection of traditional American folk and country music from the 1920s and 1930s that were first released as 78 rpm records, in the 50s. DTD aims to do something similar with other historic recordings.

Guest Patrokles

Religious :rolleyes:

Not really. Obviously the roots of much of the older music they do are firmly planted in religion. Goodbye, Babylon, is all gospel. Having said that, it's not a religious label; gospel is simply a religious genre. The label has done a collection featuring the string bass exclusively, for example.

Had a quick gander, I'd probably find a documentary on that type of stuff more interesting than I would listening to the recordings in their entirety.

Guest Patrokles

Had a quick gander, I'd probably find a documentary on that type of stuff more interesting than I would listening to the recordings in their entirety.

Yeah, it's a slog if you sit down and listen to it all in one dose. Part of what's nice about it is the presentation, though. It's beautifully packaged and also includes a book with all sorts of notes, etc. which lends an air of documentary.

I've not said anything negative at all. You complained that your recommendations threads fell on deaf ears so you gave up. I just pointed out that most people put anything new they're listening to in the "listening" thread and you got all arsey and pedantic. Don't be so touchy.

I love you Patty. You give me the warm fuzzies. Never change. I'll hunt out some of this Hotel Babylon ASAP. Didn't they sing Spaceman? Their writer hoped to come up with a round song iirc.

Guest Patrokles

I've not said anything negative at all. You complained that your recommendations threads fell on deaf ears so you gave up. I just pointed out that most people put anything new they're listening to in the "listening" thread and you got all arsey and pedantic. Don't be so touchy.

I love you Patty. You give me the warm fuzzies. Never change. I'll hunt out some of this Hotel Babylon ASAP. Didn't they sing Spaceman? Their writer hoped to come up with a round song iirc.

Yeah, it's a slog if you sit down and listen to it all in one dose. Part of what's nice about it is the presentation, though. It's beautifully packaged and also includes a book with all sorts of notes, etc. which lends an air of documentary.

It's interesting to put things into a historical context and see how it influenced later stuff. Like that series on the Beeb - 'Soul Deep'? I didn't really like all the music in the first programme but it was still dead interesting to see how artists like Sam Cooke were influenced by Gospel and stuff like that. That series was class btw.

It's interesting to put things into a historical context and see how it influenced later stuff. Like that series on the Beeb - 'Soul Deep'? I didn't really like all the music in the first programme but it was still dead interesting to see how artists like Sam Cooke were influenced by Gospel and stuff like that. That series was class btw.

They do a fair bit of that sort of stuff on Radio 2, dunno but might still be on their listen again bit, usually they are pretty good, either for interest, entertainment or both.