England & Scots chase Carroll

khay

Newcastle United youngster Andy Carroll is being chased by England and Scotland.

Carroll's hat-trick in the reserves against Middlesbrough has alerted youth bosses from both countries, with the 18-year-old eligible to play for either.

Archie Knox has included Carroll in Scotland's Under 19 squad for their game against Austria, while Steve McClaren had a close eye on him in training last week.

Newcastle reserve-team coach Lee Clark is preparing for a tug of war between the two countries to secure Carroll's services.

"Archie Knox (Scotland Under 21 manager) told Glenn Roeder that he intended to put Andy in his Scotland Under 19 squad for the end-of-season games after seeing him score three goals for our reserves at Middlesbrough last week," Clark told The Evening Chronicle.

"Andy's hat-trick that night also alerted Steve McClaren, and when he was at our training ground on Friday, Carroll was one of the topics he was interested in.

"Since then the Football Association have been in touch with Nigel Pearson who, of course, is with the England Under 21 team and we are expecting developments soon.

"From my point of view, I have seen what progress he has made under Glenn Roeder in the past six months and we all feel that the boy is going in the right direction and we are delighted."

McClaren was pleased with what he saw from Carroll and is keen to see the young striker playing for England.

He said: "I have already spoken to our England Under 21 people about Andy Carroll.

"Obviously he is still young and has a lot of developing to do, but I like his attitude and character."

Think a loan spell for Aberdeen would do him the world of good next season. Could learn a think of two from Darren Mackie.

genuine question

would you rather declare for Englad and run the risk of never getting into the side when you're at your peak, or declare for Scotland and it be unlikely to win anything more prestigious than World Cup Qualification?

Guest Patrokles

genuine question

would you rather declare for Englad and run the risk of never getting into the side when you're at your peak, or declare for Scotland and it be unlikely to win anything more prestigious than World Cup Qualification?

I think it'd be more down to whether you feel more English or more Scottish, in my opinion.

genuine question

I think it'd be more down to whether you feel more English or more Scottish, in my opinion.

How many professional footballers choose with their hearts these days?

I reckon he'd see playing for England as a better chance to raise his stock.

Well in his Myspace he reckons that Gateshead is in Newcastle so I dont think Geography is his strong point. :rolleyes:

Could be a tough decision.

is that Kazenga Lua-Lua in your ava?

definitely looks a bit like Lomana doesn't he?

Well in his Myspace he reckons that Gateshead is in Newcastle so I dont think Geography is his strong point. :rolleyes:

More like Christian Ziege with that acne.

genuine question

I agree, I think playing for the national team should be all about being proud to represent the country you belong to. But then again I'm not a moneygrabbing attention seeking twat of a professional footballer.

If I was talented enough (a big if) I could represent England, Serbia, Wales, Singapore but I feel more English than anything else so I'd want to represent them, although I'd feel quite proud to represent Serbia. I don't feel the slightest bit Welsh or Singaporean so I'd feel a bit daft representing them.

I think it has a lot to do with your own personal feeligs about where you are from and what you are in spite of family indoctri-nation, and how egotistical you are.

Have a friend here in California whose father & mother were born in Ireland, his two brothers and one sister were born in Ireland, he was born in Newcastle and his family came to California when he was fourteen.

As far as he is concerned he is a Geordie first, English second, supports Newcastle, and if there were a friendly kick-around between English and Irish lads and the Irish were short on players he wouldn't suddenly become Irish.

Vinny Jones played for Wales simply because he knew he would never be picked for England. I don't think he had ever seen Wales before he went to practice with the Welsh team.

genuine question

Pretty much the same as playing for England surely?

genuine question

Haway Richie, you got what I meant. :rolleyes:

England there is a greater chance to cover yourself in glory Scotland you're more likely to get into the team.

genuine question

Haway Richie, you got what I meant. :)

England there is a greater chance to cover yourself in glory Scotland you're more likely to get into the team.

There is a greater chance of you thinking you can win something with england. :rolleyes:

genuine question

Haway Richie, you got what I meant. :rolleyes:

Have you watched the last 5 Scotland games and the last 5 England games?

genuine question

Have you watched the last 5 World Cups? So have Scotland fans.....wearing Argentina shirts. :rolleyes:

genuine question

Have you watched the last 5 World Cups? So have Scotland fans.....wearing Argentina shirts. :rolleyes:

:razz:

genuine question

:rolleyes: Beat me to it.

genuine question

Is he english or scottish though?

With the ridiculous eligibility rules these days I would qualify for 3 different countries.

Is he eligible to play to for Scotland because say both his parents are from there and he was born there, or is it a case that his Grandmother once spend a week in Glasgow?

It always used to make me laugh seeing Sullivan (?) play for Scotland and then speak in the broadest london twang imaginable in interviews afterwards. :lol:

genuine question

Is he english or scottish though?

With the ridiculous eligibility rules these days I would qualify for 3 different countries.

Is he eligible to play to for Scotland because say both his parents are from there and he was born there, or is it a case that his Grandmother once spend a week in Glasgow?

It always used to make me laugh seeing Sullivan (?) play for Scotland and then speak in the broadest london twang imaginable in interviews afterwards. :lol:

Nearly as bad as Rod Stewart

Can't he play for any youth team nationally and still turn out for another nation at senior level?

I read that Ghana were trying to get Freddy Adu as he can opt to join Ghana until he plays for the US Senior squad.