Spurs in for Dyer

Jimbo

Kieron Dyer has emerged as a summer transfer target for Tottenham Hotspur, although acquiring the Newcastle United midfield player would require a significant shift in the London club’s wage policy.

While the 27-year-old represents the prototype Martin Jol signing – he is English, quick and versatile – his present earnings far outstrip the maximum outlay at White Hart Lane.

Dyer commands a weekly wage of more than £80,000 at St James’ Park, almost double what Tottenham are understood to pay Robbie Keane, their highest earner.

While the England player may be prepared to lower his demands to revitalise his career away from the North East, where he has endured some difficult times, the difference in earnings may prove prohibitive.

As yet, there is not thought to have been substantive contact between the clubs, while the player, who has now been on Tyneside for eight years, has not expressed any public desire to leave. Indeed, he has previously said he wants to repay the club’s loyalty after a complex range of injuries.

Yet, having failed on numerous occasions to prise Stewart Downing away from Middlesbrough, Jol, the head coach, remains in the market for pace and penetration and Dyer’s ability to fill several roles could prove attractive. At times this season, he has played in wide positions, in central midfield and in attack; it is the latter quality – he has scored six goals – which may raise further questions concerning the future at Tottenham of Jermain Defoe.

Glenn Roeder has challenged Emre Belozöglu to repeat the solid performance he produced against Chelsea last weekend, with the Turkey midfield player still to show much consistency. “I thought Emre had his best game of the season for us on Sunday,” the manager said. “This followed on from Portsmouth, where I thought his first-half show was his worst 45 minutes for us. He is a very good player and he will be even better if he could be a bit more consistent.”

If wages are a problem can I suggest a wip round ????

Spurs consider move for Dyer

Michael Walker

Friday April 27, 2007

The Guardian

Kieron Dyer has become a transfer target for Tottenham, with the 28-year-old Newcastle United and England midfielder believed to be ready to leave Tyneside after eight seasons. However, Tottenham are likely to need to find at least £6m to persuade Newcastle to sell and Martin Jol will then have to try to fit Dyer into the wage structure at White Hart Lane.

It is understood Dyer earns about £80,000 a week at Newcastle whereas the highest-paid player at Tottenham is Robbie Keane on an estimated £45,000. Something would have to give between Dyer and Spurs for the move to proceed but Newcastle, though wanting as large a fee as possible, might not stand in Dyer's way. Glenn Roeder is already preparing for another midfielder, Reading's Steve Sidwell, to arrive on a free transfer.

Newcastle's share price jumped over 5% yesterday on a day of unusually active trading. At the close Newcastle had a market capitalisation - paper value - of £94.5m, about 15% more than on Monday. The identity of the purchaser is unknown but it is understood not to be the chairman, Freddy Shepherd, who is believed to want to buy out his fellow board members Sir John Hall and his son Douglas. Shepherd has around 29% of Newcastle shares, the Halls 41%, but since the confirmation in January that the Belgravia group are not interested in a buy-out despite discussions, trading has been flat. Yesterday's activity is sure to lead to speculation.

I'd be happy to get £8m for him like.

If he is really on 80k a week, I would be happy to get 2m for him. For that kind of wages you should be able to employ two players with twice the ability.

Can you believe the difference in wages between our top paid player - Owen (£100k + a week) and Spurs'? Well, I can believe it. Crazy though.

Can you believe the difference in wages between our top paid player - Owen (£100k + a week) and Spurs'? Well, I can believe it. Crazy though.

Ridiculous performance from the board, and a major reason we are in a mess now. Spurs would be mad to break their wage structure for Dyer though.

As reported earlier in the week, there have been rumours flying about that the King de la Bling, Kieron Dyer, is looking to leave SJP in the summer and freshen up (keep it real etc…). With his testimonial two years away, and a healthy crowd of about 10 people expected, he seems to be ready to cut his ties with the club and join up with his good friend, lookalike and equally as overrated a footballer Jermaine 'JJ` Jenas, away from the goldfish bowl and Luke Edwards at the Journal.

Naturally his 80 clicks worth of wages seem to be throwing a spanner in the works with a lot of the papers, especially given that Robbie Keane earns just over half that as their top earner. £6m has also been mentioned as a fee, which would be as helpful to Glenn`s rebuilding plans as shifting our 2nd top earner and getting Sidwell in on a free. This would make far better business sense than keeping a player who goes hiding at every available opportunity (except when the papers come calling, natch).

Please God let there be some truth in this…

Well, I might make an exemption for Owen as he is really a big name. But my major concern has been for several years that there are too many mediocre players are getting luxury wages (well, if you believe the public figures). But Dyer 80k, Emre 60k, Babayaro was also quoted with a horrendous weekly wage in the past. It is just ridiculous and more than unhealthy. It will also very difficult to re-install a normal wage structure. As new players won't be happy to receive only a fraction of what other players earn...

Edited by Isegrim

Ridiculous performance from the board, and a major reason we are in a mess now. Spurs would be mad to break their wage structure for Dyer though.

Spurs won't will they? It a question of whether or not he fancies playing for them etc. He'll still be on very good money etc. And while the board sometimes gets flak for trying to do the right thing, I can't remember a single person being able to comprehend Dyer getting an improved deal last time round. He was luck y to get what he was already on and I've got a bit of time for him too.

Well, I might make an exemption for Owen as he is really a big name. But my major concern has been for several years that there are to many mediocre players are getting luxury wages (well, if you believe the public figures). But Dyer 80k, Emre 60k, Babayaro was also quoted with a horrendous weekly wage in the past. It is just ridiculous and more than unhealthy. It will also very difficult to re-install a normal wage structure. As new players won't be happy to receive only a fraction of what other players earn...

Yeah, I agree it's more acceptable for the likes of Owen.

It is understood Dyer earns about £80,000 a week at Newcastle whereas the highest-paid player at Tottenham is Robbie Keane on an estimated £45,000.

Rolls Royce wages for Lada players? :lol:

It is understood Dyer earns about £80,000 a week at Newcastle whereas the highest-paid player at Tottenham is Robbie Keane on an estimated £45,000.

Bit harsh. Ford mebbies :o

Bit harsh. Ford mebbies :o

Aye, actually Lada's were probably too reliable for that analogy. ;)

Spurs aren't daft enough to pay him that sort of money, surely?

If he wants to leave (which i'd be delighted with), he'll need to wake up and be realistic and see that he's going to get a pay-cut at pretty much every other club in the country.