View from the Liverpool Echo.........

Rob W

Nothing will beat Phil Thompson saying "Sorry lads, you're second choice on SSN last night"

:rolleyes:

25022[/snapback]

Again - true though wasnt it?

A bit like Andy Gray's "Game well and truly over" after Milan's 3rd...

These things happen in football. I'm not bitter about it and Newcastle fans shouldn't be whatever the opposite of bitter is :angry:

I don't get "if it had been the other way around" comments. If he'd signed for Liverpool I'd personally have shrugged my shoulders and said something like "not exactly a surprise" (while muttering somthing about scouse bastards under my breath).

Nothing will beat Phil Thompson saying "Sorry lads, you're second choice on SSN last night"

25022[/snapback]

These things happen in football. I'm not bitter about it and Newcastle fans shouldn't be whatever the opposite of bitter is :angry:

25026[/snapback]

I know we're his second choice ffs. I'm not saying Thommo is bitter, just it was funny him saying it with his little smirk into the camera.

I don't get "if it had been the other way around" comments. If he'd signed for Liverpool I'd personally have shrugged my shoulders and said something like "not exactly a surprise" (while muttering somthing about scouse bastards under my breath).

25027[/snapback]

If it was Shearer and he went to Madrid and didn't come back here when expected to?

25027[/snapback]

If it was Shearer and he went to Madrid and didn't come back here when expected to?

I see what you mean but I thought we were just talking about this deal and the scouser was saying we'd have turned nasty if he'd went there.

25022[/snapback]

25026[/snapback]

At the end of the day, we're taking a lot of flak from the media and liverpool fans for signing a world class british striker at a reasonable price.

You are one of the few putting your opinion across without malice (there's a few professional institutions on Fleet Street could do with your professionalism). All people are saying is it's a bit of a disgrace that people can't be a little more courteous - it's embarrassing tbh.

Oh and that word would be smug. :lol:

25027[/snapback]

I see what you mean but I thought we were just talking about this deal and the scouser was saying we'd have turned nasty if he'd went there.

25037[/snapback]

That's what we both meant by "tables turned"

I don't read many things from Fleet Street. Certainly not the tabloids, it's bullshit half the time. Even the broadsheets have become wishy washy, too busy with their heads stuck up the arses of the London 'giants' and manchester united. All i'm interested in is the local paper (Echo) and one or two journalists from the Guardian or Independent but they too are going down the wrong path for my liking.

We took a lot of flak after the CL win for being lucky or whatever. Couldn't give two shits about it mate. Things in the paper used to bother me a while ago but now they just fly over my head. Probably ever since we won the treble with Houllier. We were getting criticised left right and centre despite winning games and trophies. Just developed a "fuck em" attitude.

What amazes me is that the meeja are pourinbg buckets of brown stuff over us AND Liverpool about this

1. At least both clubs have maanged to get Englands striker back into the PL playing regular football in World Cup year

2. No-one else was interested.... bloody amazing isn't it - the Arse, ManUre, the toffees, Spurs, Villa, Rangers ................. not interested in a top class striker aged 25!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Not even Chelski who could afford him and have him on the bench..................

He probably wanted the strict assurance of regular first team football.

That's why he wouldn't be interested in a move to Chelsea.

What amazes me is that the meeja are pourinbg buckets of brown stuff over us AND Liverpool about this

1.    At least both clubs have maanged to get Englands striker back into the PL playing regular football in World Cup year

2.  No-one else was interested.... bloody amazing isn't it - the Arse, ManUre, the toffees, Spurs, Villa, Rangers .................  not interested in a top class striker aged 25!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Not even Chelski who could afford him and have him on the bench..................

25056[/snapback]

and Everton tried to get him as well didnt they? thats how we got him i guess, the old 'Moyes' Law' in effect again.

and Everton tried to get him as well didnt they?  thats how we got him i guess, the old 'Moyes' Law' in effect again.

25063[/snapback]

:angry:

Didn't think of that. You're right the second Moyes made that phone call Owen was as good as ours. :rolleyes:

and Everton tried to get him as well didnt they?  thats how we got him i guess, the old 'Moyes' Law' in effect again.

25063[/snapback]

:angry:

Didn't think of that. You're right the second Moyes made that phone call Owen was as good as ours. :rolleyes:

25098[/snapback]

He was the deciding factor, not Shearer. Suprised the media haven't picked up on this.

25027[/snapback]

25037[/snapback]

25040[/snapback]

I think there is a lot of gossip in the story and to keep stating about the clause in the contract is crap. Yes there will be a clause but no way are Newcastle going to agree to letting him go for £4 million plus less than what they paid. If Owen has a good world cup he will be worth £20 million plus and Fred isn't going to accept anything like what is being reported. The clause is probably stating that if NUFC did not qualify for Europe and an offer comes in to meet the fee paid then he can talk to that club and likewise I would think Newcastle woud put in a clause about if they were relegated. Shepherd says there is no clause about redced fees and issued that statement whereas the echo reporter is going off gossip.

Talking to my brother just before who is very good friends (they played in same team togther) with a certain ex senior coaching member of NUFC and was speaking to this said individual today, my brother summarised the following from what he was told:

- On Monday Owen was 90% certain on going to Liverpool.

- He met Liverpool and talks did not go as well as planned in that all that was discussed was why he was even talking to Newcastle and that he must turn them down or the deal could not go forward.

- Owen left and met us here basically NUFC laid the carpet out for Owen and made him feel totally wanted.

- Owen went home very impressed with Newcastle and what was said but still favouring a move to Liverpool.

- NUFC and Liverpool continued talks but all the Pool angle was that he had to turn NUFC down or he would not get any chane of a deal to Liverpool.

- Owen after much soul searching made up his mind that Liverpool were not showing genuine effot and making him feel like he was really wanted whereas Newcastle were - he then made his mind up that Newcastle would be the best choice.

People may put two and two together as to who the said coach was but I cannot state his name and I think people will appreciate why not. Take itor leave it but that is what my brother was told today.

Anyone think Moyes secretly works for us? Everytime he goes after a player we want, it obviously scares the crap out of them and they suddenly think we're really glamorous by comparison.

25324[/snapback]

You have to give the bloke credit, he's done a cracking job of identifying targets for us and then providing them with a view of what turning us down would mean :rolleyes:

25027[/snapback]

25037[/snapback]

25040[/snapback]

I think there is a lot of gossip in the story and to keep stating about the clause in the contract is crap. Yes there will be a clause but no way are Newcastle going to agree to letting him go for £4 million plus less than what they paid. If Owen has a good world cup he will be worth £20 million plus and Fred isn't going to accept anything like what is being reported. The clause is probably stating that if NUFC did not qualify for Europe and an offer comes in to meet the fee paid then he can talk to that club and likewise I would think Newcastle woud put in a clause about if they were relegated. Shepherd says there is no clause about redced fees and issued that statement whereas the echo reporter is going off gossip.

Talking to my brother just before who is very good friends (they played in same team togther) with a certain ex senior coaching member of NUFC and was speaking to this said individual today, my brother summarised the following from what he was told:

- He met Liverpool and talks did not go as well as planned in that all that was discussed was why he was even talking to Newcastle and that he must turn them down or the deal could not go forward.

- Owen left and met us here basically NUFC laid the carpet out for Owen and made him feel totally wanted.

- Owen went home very impressed with Newcastle and what was said but still favouring a move to Liverpool.

- NUFC and Liverpool continued talks but all the Pool angle was that he had to turn NUFC down or he would not get any chane of a deal to Liverpool.

- Owen after much soul searching made up his mind that Liverpool were not showing genuine effot and making him feel like he was really wanted whereas Newcastle were - he then made his mind up that Newcastle would be the best choice.

People may put two and two together as to who the said coach was but I cannot state his name and I think people will appreciate why not. Take itor leave it but that is what my brother was told today.

25257[/snapback]

I'm not sure about the red carpet treatment or the Shearer influence being THAT big - as immense as a player Shearer is/was. Owen had apparently met with benitez 2 times prior to monday's meeting and his agent and owen have been in contact with Parry for the past month with personal terms seemingly agreed. Gerrard knew he was supposed to be back and some people have said that "the friends house" was Carraghers, Owen's best pal since he was a kid.

Still, it's over and if Newcastle did want him more then fair enough. We bent over backwards for him before he left us only for him to end up at real madrid. Time for the club to move on .

25027[/snapback]

25037[/snapback]

25040[/snapback]

25257[/snapback]

I'm not sure about the red carpet treatment or the Shearer influence being THAT big - as immense as a player Shearer is/was. Owen had apparently met with benitez 2 times prior to monday's meeting and his agent and owen have been in contact with Parry for the past month with personal terms seemingly agreed. Gerrard knew he was supposed to be back and some people have said that "the friends house" was Carraghers, Owen's best pal since he was a kid.

Still, it's over and if Newcastle did want him more then fair enough. We bent over backwards for him before he left us only for him to end up at real madrid. Time for the club to move on .

25582[/snapback]

At the end of the day thats what its about I guess. We wanted him more, needed him more and were willing to pay more for him. The fact he would have prefered to have gone back to Liverpool doesnt matter really, as long as he does what he's being paid for.

Owen – the truth

By Ian Notbitter

Liverpool Echo..Echo..Echo…Chief Shitstirrer.

Michael Owen sat in his hotel room in the greatest city in the world on Monday waiting for the phone call that would give him a little sex wee. Liverpool, Champions of Europe and not at all still living off the 80’s, were on the verge of giving him what he wanted, nay, longed for. Clutching a picture of Anfield our Michael has carried with him from birth, the tears flowing down his face as the sound of Ferry Cross the Mersey blasts around his room…sorry, can I have 5 minutes….

Suddenly, and without warning the door burst open. Enter Freddie Shepherd and several NUFC board members, each clutching automatic weapons. ‘Ve have your daughter Heir Michael.’ announces Evil Freddie. ‘You vill come vith us or she vill die. Muwahahah…muwhahaha.’

So began the disgusting transfer of Michael Mr Liverpool Owen to Newcastle. Bound and gagged, Michael was shoved in the boot of a Merc with the number plate ‘AS ENG1’, hot, miserable, with only the muffled sound of Barbra Streisand’s greatest hits for company.

He awoke in the basement of the Evil fortress of St James, tied to a chair with a bright light shone in his face. For hours he was tortured, but he would not sign for the second rate team. It was at this point that Fat Fred wheeled out his secret weapon…Metal Mickey. A fully functioning Michael Owen Android, a Nazi invention programmed to smile, wave with a string of positive vocabulary about NUFC.

In that basement he remains, with Rick Parry and Benitez expected to hatch an escape plan when Liverpool visits later in the season.

Owen – the truth

By Ian Notbitter

Michael Owen sat in his hotel room in the greatest city in the world on Monday waiting for the phone call that would give him a little sex wee. Liverpool, Champions of Europe and not at all still living off the 80’s, were on the verge of giving him what he wanted, nay, longed for. Clutching a picture of Anfield our Michael has carried with him from birth, the tears flowing down his face as the sound of Ferry Cross the Mersey blasts around his room…sorry, can I have 5 minutes….

Suddenly, and without warning the door burst open. Enter Freddie Shepherd and several NUFC board members, each clutching automatic weapons. ‘Ve have your daughter Heir Michael.’ announces Evil Freddie. ‘You vill come vith us or she vill die. Muwahahah…muwhahaha.’

So began the disgusting transfer of Michael Mr Liverpool Owen to Newcastle. Bound and gagged, Michael was shoved in the boot of a Merc with the number plate ‘AS ENG1’, hot, miserable, with only the muffled sound of Barbra Streisand’s greatest hits for company.

He awoke in the basement of the Evil fortress of St James, tied to a chair with a bright light shone in his face. For hours he was tortured, but he would not sign for the second rate team. It was at this point that Fat Fred wheeled out his secret weapon…Metal Mickey. A fully functioning Michael Owen Android, a Nazi invention programmed to smile, wave with a string of positive vocabulary about NUFC.

In that basement he remains, with Rick Parry and Benitez expected to hatch an escape plan when Liverpool visits later in the season.

26386[/snapback]

Class! :lol:

Owen – the truth

By Ian Notbitter

26386[/snapback]

:lol: