Improving your google position

Happy Face

How do you get a higher position on google? Is it only based on hits?

My auntie has a website for her B&B, but when you google "South Shields B&B" she's pages away from the top.

Stick her web address on here/N-O and ask for people to visit it. Can't do any harm. Sorry I can't answer the question.

My stepdad set up a business and I used this thing on the internet (:lol: I'll find the link in a minute) to improve the traffic to their site - it took a few weeks, but now when you type in the search terms that he specified, his company is the first one on the page on Googel.

Mind, he had to pay a fee for this thing. Obagol is clued up on this sort of thing iirc.

My auntie has a website for her B&B, but when you google "South Shields B&B" she's pages away from the top.

Stick her web address on here/N-O and ask for people to visit it. Can't do any harm. Sorry I can't answer the question.

It's not a great site, she just knows people will go to the first link and ring them 95% of the time so basic is good enough.

But if anyone needs a place in Shields....

http://www.thekingsmereguesthouse.com/

I feel dirty selling out like this. Bill Hicks wouldn't piss on me if I was ablaze.

My stepdad set up a business and I used this thing on the internet (:lol: I'll find the link in a minute) to improve the traffic to their site - it took a few weeks, but now when you type in the search terms that he specified, his company is the first one on the page on Googel.

Mind, he had to pay a fee for this thing. Obagol is clued up on this sort of thing iirc.

That would be a first, like.

It's not a great site, she just knows people will go to the first link and ring them 95% of the time so basic is good enough.

But if anyone needs a place in Shields....

http://www.thekingsmereguesthouse.com/

I feel dirty selling out like this. Bill Hicks wouldn't piss on me if I was ablaze.

It's fine tbh. A lot better than a lot of sites out there.

This was the thing I used for my stepdad's site:

http://www.123-reg.co.uk/internet-marketin...e-traffic.shtml

I was mocked by Obagol ( :o ) for potentially wasting money, but it did the trick - like I say, first choice on Google using the search parameters he specified.

I designed the site as well - oh dear. :lol:

Aye my da uses that for one of his sites, got it onto the first pages of Google results for what he sells.

Edited by ewerk

You don't want to fall into the trap of targeting just Google users, there is MSN, Yahoo (Directory), All Of The Web and other Search Engines that can provide just as much or more traffic than Google can. Ideally you want to do well in them all.

Anyway, what you need more than anything...

Links off quality and relevant sites, sites with a Pange Rank of 3 and above ideally, your aunt's site has a page rank of zero BTW, that needs to rise. Google uses PR to determine all kinds of things about your site, its popularity mainly, more links linking to your site means its a popular site people feel they need to link to, equals a higher page rank for you. The idea however is to keep the number of links you give away to none or just a few.

Some content, you have none. Basically there is nowt to crawl and more importantly, nowt to recrawl again and again. Google likes fresh content.

You need to optimise keywords and phrases on the site and you also need to research others sites like yours and what Google returns for those search words etc.

Cut out lots of none relevent words, keep the copy as tight as possible.

You need a Dmoz listing (very important)

And you also need to give it a while, as sometimes it can take months to get indexed properly.

BTW Gemmill, Obagol is right, those search engine submission services are a waste of money (a con in fact), aimed at newbies really and something used by hosts and domain name companies to lure people into buying domans through them and hosting packages, I'm surprised you had to pay for them as they usually do this for free and even then, there are literally hundreds if not more free online tools to submit sites to the engines.

Biggest factor regarding search engines is trial and error, depends what you want though. If you want to tweak everything to dominate it is an ongoing job, just want to rank well enough, the things outlined above should do the trick, depending on how competitive the keywords are.

Basically you want phrases about B & B linked to the site, metatags i think their called. It wont happen overnight though it takes time to get to the top.

If you've got money to spend I could put you in touch with soemone who can do it and well.

BTW Gemmill, Obagol is right, those search engine submission services are a waste of money (a con in fact), aimed at newbies really and something used by hosts and domain name companies to lure people into buying domans through them and hosting packages, I'm surprised you had to pay for them as they usually do this for free and even then, there are literally hundreds if not more free online tools to submit sites to the engines.

Well the site I'm talking about is now top of the first page on Google through using that service. If I type "films on tv" into Google, I don't get your site on even the first three pages. So kiss it, bitch! :lol:

And that site works for Yahoo and all the rest of them.

Well the site I'm talking about is now top of the first page on Google through using that service. If I type "films on tv" into Google, I don't get your site on even the first three pages. So kiss it, bitch! :lol:

And that site works for Yahoo and all the rest of them.

You got lucky :o

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q...+week&meta=

For a big keyword, 5th on the first page. Site only a few weeks old.

Green Street film review

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&s...eview&meta=

Give me a year and I'll be on the first page of Google, in the top 5 for most of my targeted keywords, 1st for a few, and 1,2,3 for another couple. Dead easy if you know how :lol:

Getting traffic to any site is easy, despite what they tell you, now getting people to buy from you, that's hard, very hard.

Basically you want phrases about B & B linked to the site, metatags i think their called. It wont happen overnight though it takes time to get to the top.

If you've got money to spend I could put you in touch with soemone who can do it and well.

Metatags are not the way forward, the likes of google ignores them. Htt is right its down 2 links in and good ones too. Do not use adfarms.

Metatags are not the way forward, the likes of google ignores them. Htt is right its down 2 links in and good ones too. Do not use adfarms.

Aye Meta Tags are nowt these days, good shout regarding link farms and other such spam sites. Honestly though, if I was someone just starting out building a site, I'd concentrate on building quality content because without it you'll get nowhere. Content is king and all that.

I thought that was the whole point of meta-tags?

wiki:

"Unlike the meta keyword tag, the meta description tag is supported by most major search engines, including Google. The meta description tag provides a concise explanation of a web page's content. This allows the webpage author to give a more meaningful description for listings than might be displayed if the search engine was to automatically create its own description based on the page content."

I thought that was the whole point of meta-tags?

wiki:

"Unlike the meta keyword tag, the meta description tag is supported by most major search engines, including Google. The meta description tag provides a concise explanation of a web page's content. This allows the webpage author to give a more meaningful description for listings than might be displayed if the search engine was to automatically create its own description based on the page content."

http://searchenginewatch.com/showPage.html?page=2165061

EDIT: Just realised you werent on about keyword tags, the description tag is mainly used to decide what is displayed on the search results, yes it can have a bearing but not a great one.

An easy way to up the rating would be to get people to put the link in their sigs on here.

So who wants a link to a local b&b on their site?

:lol:

I'll add it later to N.O, we have a page rank 5 (I think) so that should set the ball rolling. I have to be careful myself mind as N.O's turning into a link farm of late :o I actually have to sort that site out, forum's page rank has went down to 3 due to it not pointing back to the main site when the header disappeared, and we seem to be the victims of a few scrapper sites, gets.