Allardyce resigns from Bolton

Happy Face

Aye, that's the way I see it myself Papa. Like most I guess, I'd prefer someone whose football principles are a little more expansive and someone with all his skills but with some European and trophy success (not Sven) but that's like asking for someone that doesn't exist given the way our club is ran and to be honest, no such manager would touch us. Big Sam is the best British manager out there and significantly much better than Roeder, and now he's available, why not. If he says no, fair enough. Then stick with Roeder.

Unless the reason he's left is because he already has a job lined up that isn't us, or because he needsa break from management for a while then i think he would defiitely take the job. He came close to taking it the last time it was offered, finally deciding then not to.

There won't be a better job in the prem available as the top 4 don't need managers, and the likes of Spurs, Everton etc. will be happy with theirs (for those who believe they're better jobs than here), so if he's wanting to stay in the prem here then this is the one for him to take.

This is make or break time for him like, I agree. He turned us down once (twice if rumours are true) for whatever reason but much like us, this could be his one and only chance to do it - be the manager who thinks he can be and do the job he is clearly desperate to get stuck into. Can't see England come calling, think the bungs thing and some of Big Sam's comments about their process burnt a few bridges and while City could be a good job for him, I know which one I'd choose, Toon or no Toon bias.

Very strange all this though, he's not daft so a few things don't make sense. I'm not buying the Man City promise thing, he turned us down because there was no guarantees about full control etc. (again based on rumours) so why would he jack in his job and life on the off chance some people will but City and install him as manager.

Anyway, sadly I can't see him here like, as much as I'd like to see it happen. I think he'll take a year out and see what happens with McLaren with England.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If he does come to us I'd find it a bit iffy that he had the chance in the past but sort of turned us down. A stark resignation puts paid to stuff last time around about the chairman not letting Fat Fred speak to him as he could have done the same then.

As I've said before I think his "professionalism" is offset by by the odious style of football. I'm not convinced by the view that given "better" players and/or more resources he'd suddenly become a Wenger style football purist.

If he does come to us I'd find it a bit iffy that he had the chance in the past but sort of turned us down. A stark resignation puts paid to stuff last time around about the chairman not letting Fat Fred speak to him as he could have done the same then.

As I've said before I think his "professionalism" is offset by by the odious style of football. I'm not convinced by the view that given "better" players and/or more resources he'd suddenly become a Wenger style football purist.

Like others have said, there are only really two good footballing sides in England, Man Utd and Arsenal, the rest are a much of a muchness. And even then Arsenal or Man Utd don't play like that every week, we didn't even under KK as I can remember a few abject games (although we always tried) so I think fans need to knock that idealism on the head, much like us wanting much better. There aren't many much better, not who we could attract or have the will to try. I'd take scrappy football for points on the board like, if that's what it will take to be successful. We've been entertained and still won nowt. A few seasons of Bolton style football will be find with me... they aren't that bad anyway. No different to Chelsea and Liverpool.

Like others have said, there are only really two good footballing sides in England, Man Utd and Arsenal, the rest are a much of a muchness. And even then Arsenal or Man Utd don't play like that every week, we didn't even under KK as I can remember a few abject games (although we always tried) so I think fans need to knock that idealism on the head, much like us wanting much better. There aren't many much better, not who we could attract or have the will to try. I'd take scrappy football for points on the board like, if that's what it will take to be successful. We've been entertained and still won nowt. A few seasons of Bolton style football will be find with me... they aren't that bad anyway. No different to Chelsea and Liverpool.

I agree to a large extent - I think its a myth that NUFC fans want "pure" football to the detriment of results but I just feel that Bolton are an extreme too far.

I agree to a large extent - I think its a myth that NUFC fans want "pure" football to the detriment of results but I just feel that Bolton are an extreme too far.

Much as i've knocked the way Bolton often play, its not all they're capable of and i think he would play some football here, but organised, well drilled, good at set pieces and not a soft touch first and foremost, then start passing it about a bit.

The fact he's went out of his way to bring technically gifted players to his club once he established them is more than a sign that he at leasts sees another side to the game other than lumping it forward.

BTW - no - we are the extreme too far and have been since SBR left.

Only just saw the news, hopefully he will replace Roeder at the end of the season, I doubt it though.

Howaythetoon and Papa Lazaru summed up my feelings. I would definitely prefer an experienced European manager, but since Shepherd is a poor excuse of a chairman who's proven himself to be incapable of hiring the right people, Allardyce is by far and away the best we can hope for IMO.

Edited by Bombadil

The best thing Shepherd could do now is get on the phone to Big Sam, that's if he hasn't been on it already.

EDIT - That's the second best thing. The best thing would be throw himself off the Tyne Bridge.

Edited by Skol

I would have thought FFS would have avoided such a character as Allardyce as he looks like the type of person who would stand up to the chairman, if not boss him with what HE wants to do, and not what the Chairman thinks.

While its interesting to think that Allardyce might be on his way here, I think theres just too much 2+2=5 & wishful thinking going on.

Shame because despite the fact that their football is tiresome, Chelsea's isnt exactly riveting either but they do get results.

From The Times

April 30, 2007

Newcastle and City favoured destinations for AllardyceOliver Kay

Sam Allardyce resigned as Bolton Wanderers manager yesterday to pursue a new challenge, feasibly at Manchester City or Newcastle United, after suspicions over his future plans led the club to bring forward his planned departure at the end of the season.

Allardyce informed Phil Gartside, the Bolton chairman, on Friday that he intended to leave the club and take a sabbatical after eight years in charge at the Reebok Stadium. Gartside suspected that he had lined up another job and even contacted City officials to ask whether this was the case before reluctantly deciding yesterday to accept his resignation with immediate effect and to replace him with Sammy Lee, his assistant.

Lee’s appointment could be confirmed as early as today, but Allardyce’s future is less clear. His prospects of landing the City job, occupied at present by Stuart Pearce, appear to be largely reliant on a takeover bid by Ray Ranson, the club’s former player. Ranson’s hopes of gaining power at the City of Manchester Stadium remain in the balance, however, with two consortiums — one American and the other led by Thaksin Shinawatra, the deposed Prime Minister of Thailand — preferred by the club’s board.

Newcastle, meanwhile, have yet to make a decision on Glenn Roeder’s future as manager. Allardyce rejected the job in 2004, but is certain to be among the contenders if Roeder is dismissed. The Tyneside club have also shown interest in Sven-Göran Eriksson, the former England head coach, as revealed by The Times this month. Senior Newcastle officials last night distanced themselves from a bid for Allardyce’s services.

Sources close to Allardyce have indicated that he would be interested in the Newcastle job and also that of City, in the event of a takeover, but also that, as with Alan Curbishley’s resignation at Charlton Athletic a year ago, he would welcome a period away from the game if the right opportunity does not arise.

He has endured a difficult past 12 months, not only suffering the disappointment of missing out on the England job, but also having his name tarnished by a BBC Panorama documentary that alleged corruption involving Bolton’s dealings with his son, Craig, who was working as an agent.

In a statement, Allardyce said: “The decision to leave the football club, which has been my spiritual home for over 18 years, as both player and manager, is one of the hardest decisions I have had to make in my life. It was mutually decided that I step down now rather than at the end of the season, to give my successor the ideal opportunity to experience the preparation and build-up of match day in readiness of next season.”

Gartside said: “I have reluctantly accepted the resignation of manager Sam Allardyce after eight years of unprecedented success at the club. I would like to thank Sam for his enormous contribution both as a player, but more importantly as a manager. He has given his reasons, which are private, and we respect that privacy.”

From the Mail:

Off in a hurry - Sam's rapid exit paves the way to Newcastle

by IAN LADYMAN - More by this author »

Last updated at 23:12pm on 29th April 2007

Sam Allardyce yesterday brought forward his resignation as Bolton manager and is now a strong candidate to take over at Newcastle United this summer.

A day after Sportsmail revealed that Allardyce would stand down at the end of the season, the 52-year-old quit under pressure from the Lancashire club. Sammy Lee is expected to take charge for the remaining two games.

Now Allardyce is the front-runner to replace Newcastle’s Glenn Roeder this summer, only 14 months after turning down the job at St James’ Park. He has not committed himself to anything and is aware of interest from Manchester City, who are almost certain to part company with Stuart Pearce this summer.

Newcastle chairman Freddy Shepherd offered the job to Allardyce after sacking Graeme Souness in February 2006, only for his prime target to turn it down at the last minute.

That still rankles with Shepherd, who has also expressed private concerns recently that unsubstantiated allegations in the Panorama ‘bung’ investigation have put some people at the club off Allardyce. Shepherd has publicly insisted that Roeder will be his manager next season and the two have discussed transfer budgets.

Nevertheless, Shepherd maintains an admiration for Allardyce’s work during his eight years at Bolton. Allardyce himself is known to prefer a job in the north west, where his wife Lynn is settled, and would be interested in the post at City.

But with the City of Manchester Stadium currently the scene of a complex takeover saga, Allardyce knows it would be risky to wait and see if he is favoured by whoever — if anybody — buys the club.

Allardyce, who has not given up hope of one day getting the England job, decided to bring forward the announcement about his future yesterday after Sportsmail leaked news of his plans.

Bolton chairman Gartside will hold a press conference this morning and describe the split as amicable.

But it is understood Gartside was so unsure of Allardyce’s intentions that he phoned City chairman John Wardle last Thursday to ask if he intended trying to poach his manager.

Bolton are expected to replace Allardyce with his assistant Lee, who said: "I have always been ambitious and I have been very, very fortunate because I have worked under some very good people, learning my trade.

Scroll down to read more:

"I haven’t managed before but I would like to one day, although it’s for other people to make that decision. Sam knew I had aspirations when I came here. I have not been digging away in any shape or form.

"I have been here to help him and assist and he has certainly broadened my horizons and has certainly broadened my education with regard to coaching."

As much as it'd be nice I just can't see him coming to us - it's the same old story how everyone knows our manager isn't good enough, a decent one becomes available but Shepherd won't budge because he's a stupid, fat imbacile with no idea on what's needed to run a football club. Sam will go to Man City, Shepherd will hold a grudge over him turning the job down after Souness was sacked, plus if Shepherd sacks Rodent it'll be 'his' man getting the boot and he won't want that. Shame really, would be nice for us to get back nearer the top of the league...

I'm expecting a club statement today scotching the rumours.

That'll be right, as always Shepherd 'backs his manager'... it's about time the fat prick woke up and smelled the pasties. :o

I'm expecting a club statement today scotching the rumours.

"It is my understanding that former Sunderland player Sam Allardyce will not be taking the manager's role at St James'"

© A Oliver 30/4/2007

If he does take a job, it doesn't say much for the honesty of managers. He's making out he wants a rest like Alan Curbishley.

Allardyce is as bent as they come anyway tbh

Bolton Wanderers have named Sammy Lee as Sam Allardyce's successor at The Reebok.

Trotters fans were left shocked on Sunday by Allardyce's sudden resignation, fueling speculation who might take over.

However, Bolton have made a swift appointment in naming Lee as the club 17th post-war manager.

More to follow.

SSN