Sunderland

wellsy

Credit where credit is due Roy Keane has turned them around no ends after the start they had this year. But with Palace just beating Derby then Sunderland have got automatic promotion back to the EPL.

Thoughts?

Random thoughts:

I remember in 96 the Sunday Sun printing a letter from a mackem hoping(praying) that Keegan would leave to manage England. I remember thinking that was their best hope and I'd never go that low. I'm starting to think like that wirh Keane.

They have no premiersip quality but I don't trust them not to buy any which is what happened last time.

I have another pathetic hope that it might force the fat bastard to "care" a bit more.

For those who grin "6 easy points" note thats thats not the norm - twice recently and before that in 93 makes 3 times in 50 years.

They'll do better than they have in the past when they've come up because they are better run, and will invest money from the start instead of when its too late or not at all.

Also, so far their manager seems to know what he's doing. But its hard to predict as in the past they have stormed the championship and bombed in the prem, which could still happen again.

If fat fred got ris of Roeder and brought in somebody who knows what they're doing we'd comfortably finish ahead of them. Even with Roeder, if the likes of Owen stay fit and we make even 1 or 3 decent signings we should still finish comfortably ahead of them. But we shouldn't take it for granted we'll be way beyond them.

The derby games themselves however may be a serious worry as you will have Keane firing them up and demanding everything against Roeder and that's not even a contest! That's not to say they'll win them though, we may just have too much for them.

Edited by Papa Lazaru

The last time they came up they annihilated the championship, this time they havent done quite as well. Perhaps that league is more competitive now.

They are going to need to spend big or be lucky with some untested players to do better than last time. They have the money to invest and Keane will probably buy big in a couple of positions.

Its the Keane factor that worries me more than anything. Players like Cantona reckon he was the best professional he worked with so he could attract a few surpise buys from Man U.

Just goes to show what difference a good manager can make to a poor team, but credit where credit is due, he's done fantastically well.

42825367sunderlandrise4yd3.gif

They really don't have many, if anyone, of PL standard in their squad, it's a completely different game at this level.

I can see them staying up next season in the same way Sheff Utd have this season but £20m is a drop in the ocean when considering the amount of work that needs to be done to their squad, I think another season in the Championship might have given Keane more time to prepare a squad of players of PL quality but I don't think they'll be the threat that many of us our predicting.

Who did he get in / ship out in the january window?

That graph shows they didn't exactly start improving until the transfer window, i.e. you need a good manager and give him the players he wants

Eh? They were 2nd from bottom when he took over and were 12th by the start of January, that's a big improvement to me.

He brought in the Irish contingent didn't he? Loads of 'fringe' Premiership players and also Dwight Yorke who, whatever anyone else says about him, knows how to score in the Premiership.

I think they'll surprise a few next season.

That graph shows they didn't exactly start improving until the transfer window, i.e. you need a good manager and give him the players he wants

Eh? They were 2nd from bottom when he took over and were 12th by the start of January, that's a big improvement to me.

They see-sawed from 14th-19th in the first three months, hardly a consistent improvement. There is definitely a difference post Christmas.

He brought those few in from Man U on loan, plus signed a few too I think.

MAJOR MOVES

August: David Connolly, Liam Miller, Graham Kavanagh, Ross Wallace, Dwight Yorke, Stanislav Varga

January: Carlos Edwards, Anthony Stokes, Stern John, Danny Simpson (loan), Jonny Evans (loan)

They see-sawed from 14th-19th in the first three months, hardly a consistent improvement. There is definitely a difference post Christmas.

Well if you want to pinpoint a date for the beginning of their rise then the start of November would probably be when they began to show a consistent improvement.

Well if you want to pinpoint a date for the beginning of their rise then the start of November would probably be when they began to show a consistent improvement.

In their last match, 4 of the starters, one sub and one on the bench were all January signings/loans

In their last match, 4 of the starters, one sub and one on the bench were all January signings/loans

And? They began improving in early November, not January, that's all I'm saying.

And? They began improving in early November, not January, that's all I'm saying.

And i'm saying it's the team he's assembled that is responsible as well a him. The rise after his appointment is the usual feelgood factor, then they settle to a bottom half standard, until before the window when some players start playing for their futures. After January, the only way is up. I think that's pretty conclusive

You already said they see-sawed after his appointment, it wasn't until two months after his appointment that they showed a consistent improvement, so clearly it wasn't the honeymoon period.

You already said they see-sawed after his appointment, it wasn't until two months after his appointment that they showed a consistent improvement, so clearly it wasn't the honeymoon period.

2nd bottom -> 14th is the honeymoon period. The rise in November is the players playing for their futures. The see-sawing in between is the team's natural level before the window