Eriksson

Super_Steve_Howey

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/6605099.stm

I have English support - Eriksson

He told the Sunday Times magazine: "I have always been able to do this job. I have never heard a bad word during six years of travelling around the country.

"Everyone has always been polite to me, even after the defeat by Portugal."

England lost to the Portuguese on penalties in last year's World Cup quarter-finals.

However, Eriksson added: "If I land at Heathrow today people still want my autograph, which is nice, and a lot of them say 'Sven, you did a good job'."

The 59-year-old has been linked with a host of domestic and national sides since his departure from the England set-up, and concedes that the failures at the World Cup still haunt him.

"Before England, I had never been sacked in my life," he stated. "I don't sit here pining about it but I loved being a manager and I am still young enough to do the job.

"For the first few nights back in Sweden, I couldn't sleep and couldn't really stop thinking about what had happened. It wasn't like I was in a depression but it was a recurring thought.

"I couldn't talk about the World Cup and haven't spoken about it until now. We should have done better, I am absolutely convinced of that."

Always thought he was a good manager would love to see him at the toon,You only need to look at England now to see how good he was

You do, but not for the reasons you think IMO.

Either he was incredible at motivation or just lucky, because tactically he did nothing that hadn't been done before (it just worked better for him).

And taking Wallcot instead of a proven striker was an act of sheer madness (unless maybe he was trying to sleep with his mother or something).

I actually think he might be ok here, but not without a hell of a lot of cash to spend.

Decision making got a bit wayward toward the end of his england career but remember some of the results he got early on - also was one of the most sought after club managers of the nineties with a fantastic record - i wouldn't grumble but i can't see fatty risking the controversy of his private life

And taking Wallcot instead of a proven striker was an act of sheer madness.

We've been through this many times but again... i think it was a great decision. He had the main strikers there already and to have an unpredictable, fast-as-fuck player was a great move.

But then when the time came when it was now or never to throw the lad in (v Portugal soon after Rooney had seen red) Sven did nothing, and just stood there. The man couldnt even justify his own "controversial" decision, which makes even more of total moron. I hate him :o

We've been through this many times but again... i think it was a great decision. He had the main strikers there already and to have an unpredictable, fast-as-fuck player was a great move.

But then when the time came when it was now or never to throw the lad in (v Portugal soon after Rooney had seen red) Sven did nothing, and just stood there. The man couldnt even justify his own "controversial" decision, which makes even more of total moron. I hate him :o

That's when i thought it was time to end his England Era,If he bought on Wallcot i thought we could of just nicked it

Guest alex

But then when the time came when it was now or never to throw the lad in (v Portugal soon after Rooney had seen red) Sven did nothing, and just stood there. The man couldnt even justify his own "controversial" decision, which makes even more of total moron. I hate him :(

I see it more as a shit decision compounded by his not playing Walcott when the opportunity presented itself.

Never knew he had an 11 inch cock like.

But then when the time came when it was now or never to throw the lad in (v Portugal soon after Rooney had seen red) Sven did nothing, and just stood there. The man couldnt even justify his own "controversial" decision, which makes even more of total moron. I hate him :(

If he'd taken Wallcot as well as 3 fully fit forwards, maybe, but it was silly to take him in England's then situation, but it utter madness to take him and then utterly refuse to play him.

Which goes back to what I said about tactics and and such.

With the money to build the exact team he wants, yeah maybe, but other than that I just think he's mostly lucky tbh, the other side of the card to ok managers that get no where if you will.

This is deluded in the extreme considering he was hounded out of the job from day one for the crime of not being English. Although he obviously had his limitations he'd have been given a lot less grief if he wasn't Swedish.

This is deluded in the extreme considering he was hounded out of the job from day one for the crime of not being English. Although he obviously had his limitations he'd have been given a lot less grief if he wasn't Swedish.

I'm not sure I totally agree tbf. All England managers over the past 20-odd years have been singled out for special treatment by the national press with the exception of southern media goldenballs El Tel. And Robson and Taylor had it far worse.

No, the press banged on about his nationality, but the reality is if they hadnt had that to do to death, they'd simply have alighted on some other aspect of his management/private life/resemblance to a root vegetable.

Erm... did you not notice the media vitriol (bordering on the incredible in some cases) on say Robson, Taylor, Venables, Hoddle, Keegan and now Mclaren? It comes with the job, and has for a long time now.

Being Swedish was the very, very least of Erikssons media problems, being paid a massive amount to not really get anywhere and shagging anything that would open their legs to him were however. To be honest, broadly, Eriksson got a fairly easy ride from the English press, compared to many other (english) England managers anyway.

Erm... did you not notice the media vitriol (bordering on the incredible in some cases) on say Robson, Taylor, Venables, Hoddle, Keegan and now Mclaren? It comes with the job, and has for a long time now.

Being Swedish was the very, very least of Erikssons media problems, being paid a massive amount to not really get anywhere and shagging anything that would open their legs to him were however. To be honest, broadly, Eriksson got a fairly easy ride from the English press, compared to many other (english) England managers anyway.

Agreed.

His tenure amounted to a criminal waste when it came to the knock out tournaments. Potentially may not have as strong a national team again (pool of players) for a whole generation.

I'm not sure I totally agree tbf. All England managers over the past 20-odd years have been singled out for special treatment by the national press with the exception of southern media goldenballs El Tel. And Robson and Taylor had it far worse.

No, the press banged on about his nationality, but the reality is if they hadnt had that to do to death, they'd simply have alighted on some other aspect of his management/private life/resemblance to a root vegetable.

I know England managers get grief from the press, but Eriksson got grief from the day he was appointed for being foreign, and some idiots never shut up about it - notable examples include Ian Wright. This ultimately resulted in the requirement that his successor be English, and that is now we are lumbered with McClaren.

Anyway, my point was more that he's deluded for thinking people like him in this country when he was criticised simply because of where he was from, rather than comparing the overall amount of stick he recieved in comparison to other managers.

I know England managers get grief from the press, but Eriksson got grief from the day he was appointed for being foreign, and some idiots never shut up about it - notable examples include Ian Wright. This ultimately resulted in the requirement that his successor be English, and that is now we are lumbered with McClaren.

Anyway, my point was more that he's deluded for thinking people like him in this country when he was criticised simply because of where he was from, rather than comparing the overall amount of stick he recieved in comparison to other managers.

Yeah, I realised that after I'd posted my response actually. :(

Yeah, I realised that after I'd posted my response actually. :(

"...and so the defence rests, your honour....actually scrap all that, I was talking shite". :)

Well he got some grief for not being english initially, but he was bound to being a break from tradition, but I can't remember much "hounding" for it past the first couple of months (in fact probably not since the 5-1 Germany game).

And I don't think people (media or otherwise) disliked him for being swedish (or especially disliked him at all) so much as just got sick of him being paid so much for not much at all.

He was pretty popular at many points generally speaking, and really many other england managers would have been crucified by the press and populace for the same sort of mistakes he made at the last WC.

But that doesn't make him any good though either. :(