Decent pub grub

Renton

Was driving back from the lakes yesterday when I decided to pop into the Shiremoor farm for a bit of late lunch. It was about 4.30 so I assumed the usual Sunday Lunch crowds would have dissipated. Had they fuck, the place was mobbed, with dozens of vultures (me included) eyeing up tables waiting for people to move.

Now the Shiremoor farm does reasonable food but it's nowt that special, and it is absolutely raking it in. The reason? It's got no competition. I was trying to work out where else to go and there simply isn't another decent pub for food in North Tyneside. Well, the Maggy bank is alright I suppose but hardly in a decent surrounding. The Gib is OK I guess and I hear the Beehive has improved but still.

I reckon that's the way to make a fortune like, open up a food pub. There's so few of them in the North East compared to other areas. Unfortunately I don't have a clue about running a business or cooking like. Anyone fancy becoming a partner?

Was driving back from the lakes yesterday when I decided to pop into the Shiremoor farm for a bit of late lunch. It was about 4.30 so I assumed the usual Sunday Lunch crowds would have dissipated. Had they fuck, the place was mobbed, with dozens of vultures (me included) eyeing up tables waiting for people to move.

Now the Shiremoor farm does reasonable food but it's nowt that special, and it is absolutely raking it in. The reason? It's got no competition. I was trying to work out where else to go and there simply isn't another decent pub for food in North Tyneside. Well, the Maggy bank is alright I suppose but hardly in a decent surrounding. The Gib is OK I guess and I hear the Beehive has improved but still.

I reckon that's the way to make a fortune like, open up a food pub. There's so few of them in the North East compared to other areas. Unfortunately I don't have a clue about running a business or cooking like. Anyone fancy becoming a partner?

Nor selling yourself (not in that way anyway :o ).

I had a Chilli Con Carne from there a month back, was like fucking dog food, i kid you not. Was waiting for the lass to come and clear the plates so i could complain when she asked if 'everything alright' but i waited to long and Max started kicking off so I had to leave without airing my views.

Not going back, although I have been many times before for sunday lunch and it's been nice. Was in the Newbridge yesterday, nice for a fiver and plenty there.

Edited by Wacky Jnr

Are you planning on a version of The Fat Duck?

No, just half decent food, nothing gastro. Something like the Shiremoor farm in fact, or that pub in Stannington.

Easier said than done when the prices have to compete. I think there is a gap in the market for somewhere like that in NT. Decent, well cooked, well sourced food shouldnt be a luxury imo.

Blumenthal's gastropub is called The Hinds Head.

I'm staying there next May as I am at a wedding down that neck of the woods..

Been there a few times and it's always been canny, although they could do with mixing their menu up a bit now and again. You can always rely on them to employ a few sweet barmaids/waitresses to take your eye.

The Ridley Arms up Stannington is nicer though but further away. Shirmoor is too handy!

Last time we went to the Beehive we had an hours wait for the meal to come and their was only 3 tables occupied! Got free deserts but we'll not be going back.

The Farm is sort of my lercal but it's overpriced and full of bairns. Try the Wheatsheaf just along the road(offically my lercal) where they do a nice Thai spread (the landlord married a thai lass and she's an excellent cook). We don't ask if he payed for her or not, we don't want to get barred.

Sacrireligiously, the Mrs and me enjoy The Beacon for pub grub.

Guest alex

The Fat Fuck?

Would certainly speak to the target demographic.

:(

South Tyneside rather than North but I went to The Green at Whitemare Pool the other day and it was very good. A bit more of an adventurous menu than your average pub and good portions for reasonable prices.

Plenty of space and no smoking in the restaurant part at least (think it might be throughout).

Recommended.

South Tyneside rather than North but I went to The Green at Whitemare Pool the other day and it was very good. A bit more of an adventurous menu than your average pub and good portions for reasonable prices.

Plenty of space and no smoking in the restaurant part at least (think it might be throughout).

Recommended.

smoking only allowed in the bar at the minute, food is canny however it has all the atmosphere of.......somewhere with no atmosphere :lol:

FAO Chez Given

Foxhunters is available to let.

:lol:

Lets gan for it. Good location too although being the landlord there would require some big muscle backing you up. Who's hard on here?

FAO Chez Given

Lets gan for it. Good location too although being the landlord there would require some big muscle backing you up. Who's hard on here?

Jimbo, Laz and SMO normally :o

FAO Chez Given

:o

Geordie Messiah is an obvious deterrent if he's willing to relocate from Edinburgh. Might put the paying punters off as well though.

FAO Chez Given

Jimbo, Laz and SMO normally :o

Would madame like to try our special Creme Brulee?

FAO Chez Given

Jimbo, Laz and SMO normally :D

Would madame like to try our special Creme Brulee?

FAO Chez Given

Geordie Messiah is an obvious deterrent if he's willing to relocate from Edinburgh. Might put the paying punters off as well though.

The perfect doorman, the only issue there would be health and safety. His sweat could make the floors slippy.

FAO Chez Given

I'm nails tbh, but I don't think I could manage the commute.