What should happen...

TheMoog

Reading have beaten Newcastle United 1-0 on Michael Owen's return from a near career threatening injury, the next day Glenn Roeder is called to Freddy Shepherd's office...

Shep "Come in Glenn, take a seat"

Glenn "Thanks. Look, I'm really sorry about last night Mr Shepherd"

Shep "I'm afraid it's a bit late for that Glenn. We'd like to thank for your efforts but we won't be keeping you on in the role of manager from the end of the this season"

Glenn "Oh... I see"

Shep "However, being that you've done a sterling job with the youth team in the past I'd like to offer you your old job back"

Glenn "Oh... I see"

Shep "You can go think about it on your way to telling the first team Glenn, take a couple of days off"

Glenn "Okay... err, thanks or something... injury crisis... blah, blah"

Glenn gets up and walks out of Freddy's office, Freddy stands up and opens the cupboard door revealling Sam Allardyce holding a tray of pasties.

Sam "Now Mr Shepherd, we were discussing the large kitty you're going to give me to spend in the summer..."

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Correct, thats exactly what should happen, except it won't !

There will be excuse after excuse about injuries, and how its "not my team, judge me on my team" etc, and Roeder will sign a number of players in the summer and will duely be sacked in September.

Perhaps someone should tell Oliver that Allardyce was the highest-placed English manager in the league® before he resigned.

:o:razz::blush::lol:;)

Whilst most think there is no chance it will happen or that Roeder will go I would be very surprised if Freddy wasn't interested in Big Sam. What with the constant wankfests over him in the media just now wouldnt that be his trophy signing of this summer?

Whilst most think there is no chance it will happen or that Roeder will go I would be very surprised if Freddy wasn't interested in Big Sam. What with the constant wankfests over him in the media just now wouldnt that be his trophy signing of this summer?

Aye, he'll probably sign him to play left back.

I just get the feeling Shepherd has a "you only get one chance to turn down Newcastle United" philosophy when it comes to Allardyce.

How about

American Air Force: "Foxtrot Alpha We have the palace to blow up at number 98877777"

*BOOM*

BBC News: "News just in the yanks have fucked up again bombing the wrong palace this time it was Freddy Shepards house in the North East, reports say he was having tea with Roeder and Titus Bramble"

From Tomorrow's Times.

Shepherd’s backing is enough to make Roeder fear for his future

May 1, 2007

Shepherd’s backing is enough to make Roeder fear for his future

Matt Dickinson

The back page of the local newspaper in Newcastle proclaimed “Roeder told his job is safe” yesterday, which must have had the manager scurrying to check his contract. Being told that you are secure by Freddy Shepherd, the chairman, is about as reassuring as hearing from an estate agent that the cracks are only superficial or from a second-hand car dealer that the mileage is to be believed.

Shepherd is, after all, the man who said in July 2004 that “you simply do not sack Sir Bobby Robson”. A month later, he had done precisely that. Examples of the chairman pointing one way and walking in another are not in short supply.

Even the most experienced Newcastle watchers stopped second-guessing Shepherd when he set about replacing Robson. The names of Steve McClaren, Steve Bruce and Sam Allardyce were all prominent, and with good reason. Somehow he contrived to end up with Graeme Souness, of whom Blackburn Rovers could not wait to be rid.

All good reasons for Roeder to regard yesterday’s back-page headline with the disdain that he has unwisely adopted for stories linking Sven-Göran Eriksson and Allardyce with his position. He has even talked in the past few days about making plans for next season, but the experiences of several of his most recent predecessors should inform him that a Newcastle manager is never more vulnerable than after he has blown a transfer budget. Ruud Gullit, Kenny Dalglish and Robson all left shortly after their own summers of rebuilding.

Shepherd’s guidance to the local paper appears to point to a repeat scenario even if the word on football’s grapevine is that he is examining all his options. He should be. Not even Roeder’s friends back him to turn Newcastle into a Champions League club, which should be their aspiration.

It was a job that he fell into, just as, for all those who will wish a decent guy well, there are few who expect great things at Bolton Wanderers of the newly, and hastily, appointed Sammy Lee.

And here the two stories interweave because, now that he has walked away from the Reebok Stadium, Allardyce must surely be causing Shepherd to consider another approach for his services.

The man to lead them back into the top four, where they finished under Robson? You could not say so with certainty, but Big Sam would surely improve Newcastle’s present mid-table mediocrity.

For what it is worth, which is very little, Shepherd is denying any interest, but he would not be doing his job if he was not casting around for a new manager and he was given an extra spur in the past 24 hours. Newcastle might not even be the most talked-about club in the North East next season now that Sunderland have marched into the top division under Roy Keane.

Sunderland are a club who, through the enlightened leadership of Niall Quinn, the chairman, are re-engaging with their supporters rather than mocking them for buying overpriced replica shirts, as Shepherd so notoriously did on a debauched night with the News of the World’s fake sheikh. They are a club, too, who realise that the most important man in the organisation is the manager. They are capable of embarrassing their local rivals on and off the pitch.

The thing is assuming Allerdyce (or any one else) is appointed and doesn't get consistent champions league qualifications within 2 seasons they'll just be sacked.

I think people are being a little hopeful that a Robson turn around could happen again, or at least happen as quickly, and if it doesn't I'd be loathe to bet on any manager surviving long enough to do so under FFS.

It's a bit like Chelski really (although at least their the VAST amounts of cash give a bit more reason for the win now or bust attitude).

Guest alex

The thing is assuming Allerdyce (or any one else) is appointed and doesn't get consistent champions league qualifications within 2 seasons they'll just be sacked.

I think people are being a little hopeful that a Robson turn around could happen again, or at least happen as quickly, and if it doesn't I'd be loathe to bet on any manager surviving long enough to do so under FFS.

It's a bit like Chelski really (although at least their the VAST amounts of cash give a bit more reason for the win now or bust attitude).

I don't agree with that. All Allardyce would have to do would be to have the club moving in the right direction. That's the key imo.

I don't agree with that. All Allardyce would have to do would be to have the club moving in the right direction. That's the key imo.

Exactly.

Yeah Fop, that isn't true. I'm not expecting Champions League qualification and I don't think anyone else is. We just want to see signs that a structure is being put in place to allow us to improve - now you could say that Roeder is doing that with his talk of a scouting network etc., but then you look at his coaching team, and you look at who he's just sent to Boca to run the rule over their youngsters, and you realise that his idea of a professional setup and anyone else's are poles apart.

Yeah Fop, that isn't true. I'm not expecting Champions League qualification and I don't think anyone else is. We just want to see signs that a structure is being put in place to allow us to improve - now you could say that Roeder is doing that with his talk of a scouting network etc., but then you look at his coaching team, and you look at who he's just sent to Boca to run the rule over their youngsters, and you realise that his idea of a professional setup and anyone else's are poles apart.

Spot on.

The question is, will it make a difference to Shepherd if we lose the next two games? I'm not sure.

If we lose our next 2 games we could conceivably finish as low as 15th, that would be bound to make the Fat Man reach for the big red button.

Guest alex

The question is, will it make a difference to Shepherd if we lose the next two games? I'm not sure.

If we lose our next 2 games we could conceivably finish as low as 15th, that would be bound to make the Fat Man reach for the big red button.

We've already lost as many games as we've ever lost in the Premier League. If we lost the last two that record would obvioulsy go, along with the one for our lowest points total and (possibly) lowest league position :(

That might be the case for a season, maybe two, but FFS isn't the most patient of chairmen (that's one of the main things Robson credits with allowing him to build his Ipswich team, time and money, with the chairman basically showing support but keeping his nose out of the football - I suppose a bit in the mold of Gibson or maybe even Quinn).

If, for example, FFS was chairman of Everton Moyes would have been sacked long ago (and there's several other examples I can think of)

I mean can you really see him appointing someone on a 10 year contract with a 10 year plan (al la Allerdyce at Bolton)?

That might be the case for a season, maybe two, but FFS isn't the most patient of chairmen (that's one of the main things Robson credits with allowing him to build his Ipswich team, time and money, with the chairman basically showing support but keeping his nose out of the football - I suppose a bit in the mold of Gibson or maybe even Quinn).

If, for example, FFS was chairman of Everton Moyes would have been sacked long ago (and there's several other examples I can think of)

I mean can you really see him appointing someone on a 10 year contract with a 10 year plan (al la Allerdyce at Bolton)?

Shepherd listens to public opinion. If people see that a new manager gets things moving in the right directon on and off the pitch, they will be patient. Shepherd only starts panicking when public opinion turns against the manager or indeed himself, which it rightly did with Souness and which it rightly does now.

Just look at Spurs. Their fans have seen for a couple of years now that their club is moving in the right direction. They don't expect instant success because they know they're on the right track. We're not.

Edited by Bombadil

Guest alex

That's a bit different from your initial point though re: achieving consistant Champions League qualification within two seasons. Looking like getting consistent Uefa Cup qualification within 2-3 seasons (via the league rather than the Inter-Toto backdoor route) is probably more like it. I agree about Shepherd not looking at the bigger/long-term picture (generally) but don't see that as justification for keeping someone as shite as Roeder especially if it means getting someone like Allardyce.