Michael Owen has revealed....

@yourservice

he would 'jump at the chance' of featuring for England this summer, :o after making his comeback for Newcastle on Monday.

The striker came through a full 90 minutes on his first outing since suffering a serious knee injury on England duty at last summer's World Cup.

Owen claims he has worked extremely hard on his fitness and after coming through the 1-0 defeat to Reading unscathed, focus has shifted to England's friendly with Brazil on 1st June.

"I'm hopefully going to be fine to be playing in the last two games for Newcastle and then it's down to whether Steve McClaren picks me," Owen told Sky Sports News.

"And if I'm fit and playing for Newcastle, obviously I'd jump at the chance to play for my country. Its a fantastic honour."

The 27-year-old claims he is starting his career again and insists he feels far stronger than before he suffered cruciate knee ligament damage against Sweden.

"When you have an injury like this you get to start again, you get a clean sheet of paper," he added. "We've built up everything, I weigh a stone heavier now than when I got injured and none of it is fat I can assure you.

"Now you get to start over again. I feel a massive difference from when I last played, I feel as though I can use my body and be strong and win a lot of headers.

"I felt a different type of player. I felt really well."

Well I really didn't want him rushed back for England, but seeing him last night he seems recovered and fit enough and if anything he probably needs more games.

Should give him a good pre-season run in to his first game for man u.

Yeah that's the bit that would really annoy me, more even then him getting injured playing for England again (personally I can't really hold it against him that he wants to play for his country).

the little prick

Eh?

Honestly we should just be thankful that this lad is wasting any of his short career at our shit club, never mind complaining at his desire to play for England. If Alan Shearer had come back from injury and said that he couldn't wait to get playing for England again, no one would say a thing. Playing football at all is something that Owen has had to look forward to for a while. Pretty soon playing for England will be the only thing he has to look forward to.

sick of hearing about England and Michael Owen, it's like England is Owen's wife and Newcastle is dirty bit on the side

Then blame the media, not Owen.

sick of hearing about England and Michael Owen, it's like England is Owen's wife and Newcastle is dirty bit on the side

We should be so lucky, at least the dirty bit on the side gets some.

Newcastle to Owen is like having to visit that long lost aunt every second christmas and then making an excuse so you can leave early!

Guest alex

I'm sick of the reaction every time England and Michael Owen are mentioned in the same sentence. It hasn't been helped by Shepherd going on about sueing the FA and not letting Owen play for England until he's played for Newcastle (the latter is probably fair enough I suppose but it was surely a case of wait and see if he does play this season first anyway).

he's supplying the quotes, i do realise however the media in this country would prefer him to be at a different club

"I'm hopefully going to be fine to be playing in the last two games for Newcastle and then it's down to whether Steve McClaren picks me," Owen told Sky Sports News.

"And if I'm fit and playing for Newcastle, obviously I'd jump at the chance to play for my country. Its a fantastic honour."

"When you have an injury like this you get to start again, you get a clean sheet of paper," he added. "We've built up everything, I weigh a stone heavier now than when I got injured and none of it is fat I can assure you.

"Now you get to start over again. I feel a massive difference from when I last played, I feel as though I can use my body and be strong and win a lot of headers.

"I felt a different type of player. I felt really well."

The ones in bold refer to England, the rest is about the game last night and his injury. No doubt he was asked questions about our performance but the media were selective in cutting those out, the national media only care about England as it sells more papers than stories about Newcastle so naturally they're going to print Owen for England stories, it's not his fault.

If you want evidence of the way the media twist it listen to his interview on the BBC website, he spend the first 75 seconds talking about Newcastle and his comeback and the last ten talking about England but the media will only pick up on those last ten seconds, they'll distort everything.

Its not as if Owen goes around continually talking about England at all times! Usually he gets asked direct questions about England and shock, horror, he answers them, can you believe it!!!

In this case he mentiones Newcastle followed by England in one sentence and then does the same in the next one, hardly the end of the world is it!

the little prick

Eh?

Honestly we should just be thankful that this lad is wasting any of his short career at our shit club, never mind complaining at his desire to play for England. If Alan Shearer had come back from injury and said that he couldn't wait to get playing for England again, no one would say a thing. Playing football at all is something that Owen has had to look forward to for a while. Pretty soon playing for England will be the only thing he has to look forward to.

Don't think themags was being serious... but still :(