Harrelson to star in US 'Shameless'?

Scottish Mag

Former Cheers star Woody Harrelson is in talks to star as Frank Gallagher in the US version of Shameless.

The BAFTA-winning drama series is being remade for an American audience by John Wells, the producer behind ER, The West Wing and Third Watch.

Harrelson starred in eighties sitcom Cheers before launching a successful movie career in films including The People vs. Larry Flynt, Indecent Proposal and The Thin Red Line.

Paul Abbott, the creator of the drama series, said: "John Wells has bought Shameless and he's currently negotiating with Woody Harrelson to play Frank. It's not signed, but they're definitely in negotiations."

Yeah....I can definitely see West Gorton becoming some Mid Western trailer park. :(

Baffles me why the US lot buy the rights to these shows if theyre just going to produce something totally different.

Yeah....I can definitely see West Gorton becoming some Mid Western trailer park. :(

Baffles me why the US lot buy the rights to these shows if theyre just going to produce something totally different.

Legal issues. You of all people....

Shut your post it pad!

Shut your post it pad!

What you gonna do? Scribble on it?

• 1 year later...
US cable network HBO is to remake Channel 4 show Shameless.

An American version of the series starring Woody Harrelson was originally proposed three years ago when creator Paul Abbott met with NBC. However, the project fell through.

HBO official Mike Lombardo acknowledged the challenge presented by the new adaptation, telling TBIvision: "We are developing a US version of Shameless with [The West Wing's] John Wells writing. [The question is] how do you move that show to America and not lose its essence?"

The UK version of the show has aired on BBC America and the Sundance Channel in the US.