Gary Speed

paddy

Last Updated: Tuesday, 1 May 2007, 10:10 GMT 11:10 UK

E-mail this to a friend Printable version

Speed handed Bolton coaching role

Speed is one of the Premiership's most experienced players

Bolton midfielder Gary Speed has been named as first-team coach by the club's new manager Sammy Lee.

Former number two Lee was appointed on Monday following Sam Allardyce's decision to step down.

And Lee has been quick to hand a coaching role to former Leeds, Everton and Newcastle midfielder Speed.

The 37-year-old Speed, who has started 100 league games for the club, joins Ricky Sbragia and Jimmy Phillips as first-team coaches.

Speed had begun steps for life as a coach by working with Wrexham's academy on a part-time basis.

Lee told the club's website: "Gary is a model professional and has great aspirations to be a top-class coach.

"He is fully-qualified having recently gained his Uefa A licence. He has great tactical and technical knowledge and is highly-respected by his team-mates."

Speed added: "I am saddened by the departure of Sam Allardyce - he has created a legacy that everyone is proud of here at Bolton, but everyone knows that life must go on and we have the responsibility of taking Bolton forward.

"I am delighted to be joining a new exciting era for the club under the leadership of Sammy Lee.

"Sammy has great ambition to take the club forward and I am looking forward to be part of that process."

good luck to him,

:(