when did you see your first

bobbyshinton

Mobile phone?

Me, In Hancocks the boozer as it is now called. In 1984 (ish),a bloke posing with a electronic brick, looked a right dick, they could not catch on :(

Who was he ringing no one I knew had one or had seen one?

My first was a geet big motorolla. I looked great :)

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Because my dad is an undertaker and had to be contactable at all times he bought a car phone sometime in the 80's which was about the size of two laptops sitting on top of each other with a six foot aerial sitting on top of the car, peak of technology at the time.

They had some fairly chunky ones on Saved by the Bell. :(

Think I had my first when I was about 14 or 15, it was secondhand from my sister and I blatantly had no use for it.

Think it would have been 96 too. 98 was when I saw people at school getting them. I remember the first PAYG phones needing to to top them up with atleast tenner a month for line rental then spend more just to be able to make calls and texts. My first phone was the Trium Geo.

Mitsubishi_Trium_Geo__87268.jpg

Aye I had my first one in 97 or 98. After I started working. It is completely unnecessary for schoolkids to own mobiles though imo.

first phone around 96. totally unneccesary then and I could probably get by without it now.. Sick of spending £30 a month where I don't even use the full allowance for minutes.

Don't understand kids under the age of sixteen having a mobile, it seems that parents think their kids will be safer if they have a mobile.. imo they're more at risk with a £50 piece of kit stuck to their lughole. I'd wager the parents haven't given serious thought to the risks of cancer and brain damage that prolonged exposure to the radiation from mobiles might pose in the future... :)

also, banning kids under 16 from owning mobiles would remove the liklihood of my ears suffering the "music" they like to listen to. :(

Guest alex

A landline? :)

I'm not convinced I ever saw anyone using one of the bricks in real life.

:( If only his jokes were that good <_<

I remember my Dad ringing the house from the back garden just after he'd first got one from work :) About 1995-ish.

A landline? <_<

I'm not convinced I ever saw anyone using one of the bricks in real life.

:( If only his jokes were that good :)

I remember my Dad ringing the house from the back garden just after he'd first got one from work :) About 1995-ish.

Me :) or the Meen man B)

Cant for the life of me remember the first mobile i saw - but i got my first one when orange introduced the 'everyday 50' tariff.

50 mins, off peak, to any orange mobile or landline - every single day - for £15 per month.

Brilliant.

Must've been 1997.

First year at University.

Nokia 500 or something. big chunky thing with an aerial and the best version of Snake ever. I'd love to be able to get one now, retro stylee. 3d Snake is shite.

I've only once deviated from Nokia since, A shit Motorola that felt like a kids toy and wasn't much more use.

The lad i worked for used to have a big, chunky, motorola, that was about 92', very few people had them then. I got mine about 96ish. It was one of them little flip ericsson's, loved it.

ericssont18qh8.jpg

Edited by Wacky Jnr

First one I saw was similar to the second pic Pud has posted, about the size of a laptop. My dad had one of these beauties: http://www.mobilewhack.com/reviews/Micro-T.jpg

First one I had was a Nokia 3210, a legend amongst mobiles, I've still got it as my back-up option if/when something goes wrong with my current phone.

Because my dad is an undertaker and had to be contactable at all times he bought a car phone sometime in the 80's which was about the size of two laptops sitting on top of each other with a six foot aerial sitting on top of the car, peak of technology at the time.

Aye similar sort of thing, must have been 1985-88 or so I guess.

So it was a bit bizarre by 1997/98 when they started to become more mainstream and a "fashion" item, as to me it was like chairs or some other piece of fairly mundane furniture suddenly becoming "must have" items. :(

First one I ever saw was the one my dad had, its battery was like about the size of a car battery...

5000X.jpg

Commonly used as door-stops in mobile phone shops these days :(

First one I remember seeing for real was one my Mam got. Some Analog Sony thing which was tiny and had a drop down mic on the side of it - coverage was shite!

First one I got was in 2000 in my final year at Uni - Nokia 5110, still got it somewhere.

Guest alex

I don't think I had one until about 2000. Always thought they were for wankers but then I actually liked having one once I eventually did get one.

I don't think I had one until about 2000. Always thought they were for wankers but then I actually liked having one once I eventually did get one.

I always thought I didn't need one and then used it all the time once I got one.

The lad i worked for used to have a big, chunky, motorola, that was about 92', very few people had them then. I got mine about 96ish. It was one of them little flip ericsson's, loved it.

ericssont18qh8.jpg

yep, had me one of them too. Was a canny phone like

I tailor my greeting depending on who it is... from a cheery "yello?" for some, to a "What the fuck does your sorry ass think it's doing calling me at this, of all times" for others.