Campbell & Martins

David Kelly

Sol searchingMay 2 2007

By Alan Oliver, The Evening Chronicle

Sol Campbell has expressed an interest in joining Newcastle United in the summer.

And United boss Glenn Roeder may turn to the former England stalwart if other targets fail to come to fruition.

United are ready to change their plans and bring in an experienced central defender to make Steven Taylor (pictured) into an even better player.

Campbell would fit the bill - and at the weekend the Portsmouth veteran was linked with a summer move to St James' Park.

This may or may not happen, but there is no doubt that one of Glenn Roeder's close-season priorities is now an experienced central defender in the Campbell mould - even though a left-back is still the top priority.

Story continues

ADVERTISEMENT

Roeder is on record as saying he would prefer to sign players under the age of 25 whose best years are in front of them and not behind them.

And in an ideal world Roeder would still like a young central defender, but he would not be against a Campbell-type player coming in. Not surprisingly, Roeder does not want to reveal too much about any summer plans he has, but he did say today: "I would like a central defender this side of 26 and an experienced one over 30 with a big CV and successful playing career."

Taylor has come on leaps on bounds in recent months, something which is testimony to the work Roeder and his coaching staff have put in and the desire of the player himself to wear his beloved black-and-white shirt with so much pride.

And there is no doubt that Taylor would benefit from having a Campbell-type central defender alongside him.

I always felt that one of the reasons United did not go for Campbell last season was because he would have taken some persuading to head so far north.

But my information is that Campbell has plenty of reasons for wanting to come to Tyneside and he would not be against a move to United.

However, my own feeling is that another experienced central defender will eventually land at St James' Park and not the former England stalwart.

Roeder insists that no decisions have been made on just which of his central defenders will be staying or leaving United.

But I believe Titus Bramble, Craig Moore and Oguchi Onyewu will all be looking for new clubs at the end of the season.

Wolves boss Mick McCarthy would love to take Peter Ramage to Molineux, and a spell on loan in the Championship might suit the United defender, but nothing will be decided until Roeder finds out just who is coming in.

Oba Martins was the subject of a proposed transfer bid from La Liga outfit Valencia today after the Spanish club assembled a plan B if their star striker, David Villa, quits his side for the Premiership in the summer.

Talk in Spain today indicated that Villa plans to remain with Valencia, but his agent insists only an improved contract offer will be enough to make him stay.

Villa is thought to have a huge release clause of £75m from his current deal, but Liverpool are still tracking the player.

Valencia have limited finances, and so a reduced fee may tempt the Spaniards to sell.

And with Martins rated at £15m, Valencia would see him as an ideal replacement.

The thick fuck realises what we need a season too late!

We should send Ramage out on loan. A half decent season in the Conference and we may actually be able to sell him on to some mugs the following season.

FYP

i sure i heard that when we sounded out campbell last season he said there was no way he would move up to the north east.

cant see that changing tbh. (though i'd jizz myself if he signed).

i sure i heard that when we sounded out campbell last season he said there was no way he would move up to the north east.

I'd heard that he was desperate to come to us but that it was Roeder who wasn't going to take a chance on a bloke in his mid 30s who hadn't played many games of late who was probably lacking in fitness........

And then he went and signed Olivier Bernard! :(

liverpool mate of mine reckons it's Hyppia on the way to Newcastle, not Sol.

but he's a scouser and not to be trusted...

liverpool mate of mine reckons it's Hyppia on the way to Newcastle, not Sol.

but he's a scouser and not to be trusted...

Another one we let slip through the net..... ;)

Guest alex

I'd heard that he was desperate to come to us but that it was Roeder who wasn't going to take a chance on a bloke in his mid 30s who hadn't played many games of late who was probably lacking in fitness........

And then he went and signed Olivier Bernard! :P

After trying for Huth and Woodgate ;)

Only a season too late eh, Glenn? Perhaps he'll decide he wants Woodgate as well now he's signed for Boro.

He probably decided he was interested in Kuyt when he saw him convert his penalty last night.

Only a season too late eh, Glenn? Perhaps he'll decide he wants Woodgate as well now he's signed for Boro.

He probably decided he was interested in Kuyt when he saw him convert his penalty last night.

He wanted Martins all the long you know. ;)