Roeder looking for experience

Scottish Mag

Newcastle chief Glenn Roeder is ready to change tack in order to boost his defensive options.

The Magpies boss missed out on the chance to sign Sol Campbell last summer as he made it clear he wanted to bring in emerging talents rather than players over the age of 30.

This policy has backfired though, as Newcastle's defence has been its usual porous self while Campbell has enjoyed something of an Indian summer with Portsmouth.

And with the futures of Titus Bramble, Craig Moore and loan signing Oguchi Onyewu in some doubt, Roeder is set to scour all areas of the market to boost his options.

"I would like a central defender this side of 26 and an experienced one over 30 with a big CV and successful playing career," said Roeder.

Roeder's comments could fuel suggestions that Newcastle may attempt to revive their interest in Campbell this summer, particularly as The Magpies feel Steven Taylor will derive great benefit from playing alongside an experienced stopper.

Redknapp rejects Campbell rumours

Redknapp has laughed off speculation

Portsmouth boss Harry Redknapp has scoffed at speculation linking Sol Campbell and David James with summer moves away from Fratton Park.

Newcastle are said to be keen on former England defender Campbell, 32, who joined Pompey last summer.

Redknapp told the Portsmouth News: "Newcastle haven't got a prayer of having Sol, they spoke to him last summer but we got him."

Middlesbrough are reported to be eyeing England international goalkeeper James.

Redknapp also joked: "I think I'll let David James go so we can be in a relegation battle next season."

Redknapp snapped both Campbell and James, 36, up on free transfers at the start of the season and the pair have been instrumental in shaping what promises to be Pompey's best Premiership finish.

Campbell is tied to Portsmouth until summer 2008 but could begin talks on a one-year extension soon.

Sol Cambell isn't the sort of player we're looking for and he's too old as well... according to Glenn last summer ;)

Edited by Armchair Pundit

I must really be the only one who got a wee bit excited by the Sol Campbell rumours.

A season too late. He had the chance to get him, and said he didn't want him. Now we'd have to pay Pompey a transfer fee for him. Brilliant bit of business that like.