Allardyce rumours retain persistent ring on Tyneside

Jimbo

After a Newcastle United campaign that can most charitably be described as underwhelming, Sam Allardyce’s sudden availability has focused minds at St James’ Park. While Freddy Shepherd, the Newcastle chairman, is understood to have informed Glenn Roeder at a training-ground meeting on Friday that his position was secure until the start of next season, options are being considered carefully.

Sources close to the Newcastle boardroom have repeatedly played down suggestions that Allardyce’s unexpected resignation from Bolton Wanderers had immediate ramifications for their club, but those denials have not prevented rumours from pervading Tyneside. At the same time, the team’s lowly status does not assist Roeder’s job security.

With Allardyce intent on enjoying a rare break from management with a family holiday and Phil Gartside, the Bolton chairman, insisting that his club will seek compensation should the 52-year-old find new employment – “don’t forget that he has 2½ years left on his contract,” he said – developments are unlikely before the end of the season.

Newcastle have two league matches to play, at home to Blackburn Rovers on Saturday and away to Watford on the final day, but time is short for Roeder to persuade the doubters that he is capable of reversing the club’s fortunes. While the Londoner, a former captain of the team, has assumed the necessary long-term outlook at Newcastle, they are twelfth in the Barclays Premiership and results have been poor.

The 1-0 defeat away to Reading on Monday evening was their sixteenth of an injury-dis-rupted league season, equalling their biggest tally since their promotion to the top division in 1993. They have amassed 42 points, two fewer than in 2004-05 and 1997-98, their worst previous totals, and their past nine Premiership matches have brought just one victory, six points and three goals.

While Allardyce and Roeder share mutual antipathy, they have some similarities. Both have attempted to build clubs on a sound footing, yet Allardyce has a proven record of overachieving at the Reebok Stadium. Even allowing for their medical traumas, Newcastle cannot say the same.

Sol Campbell has reemerged as a target for Newcastle, a year after Roeder withdrew from the race to sign the England defender on a free transfer. With a tremendous season at Portsmouth behind him, the 32-year-old proved sound value, and Roeder is prepared to rethink his approach to experienced players.

“I would like a central defender this side of 26 and an experienced one over 30 with a big CV and successful playing career,” Roeder said. He is certain to allow Titus Bramble, Craig Moore and Oguchi Onyewu, who has been on loan from Standard Liège, to leave the club, while his leading targets include Curtis Davies, of West Bromwich Albion, Anton Ferdinand, of West Ham United, and Wes Brown, of Manchester United.

Roeder has defended naming Kieron Dyer as Newcastle captain at the Madejski Stadium. With Scott Parker, Shay Given and Nicky Butt unavailable, the England midfield player was handed the armband, a decision that prompted consternation from a section of supporters, Dyer’s spell at Newcastle having been peppered with controversy.

“I made Kieron Dyer captain for purely motivational reasons,” Roeder said. “When I told him, his eyes lit up and it was a special moment for him. I thought he carried the responsibility of being captain off very well, even though a couple of vital aspects of the game went against him. He is an England player and an experienced player, and he was playing in a position on the pitch on Monday night in which he was in touch with the rest of the team.”

Numbers game

6 Number of managers – excluding caretakers, that Newcastle United have had in the past ten years – Kevin Keegan, Kenny Dalglish, Ruud Gullit, Sir Bobby Robson, Graeme Souness and Glenn Roeder

38 Years since the club won a trophy – the Fairs Cup, the predecessor of the Uefa Cup, in 1969

42 Number of points accrued this season. Newcastle need three more to pass their worst tally in the Premiership

the man is dogy - all that business about his son, agents etc etc

and do we need ANOTHER fat bastard in the club?

But the man can actually professionally manage a football club.

Guest alex

Aye, we wouldn't want his son taking any of Kenny's business now would we?

Or McKay's.

Or McKay's.

We already support Feckless Hall et al, couple of million more lost is neither here nor there. ;)

But I'm far from sure Allerdyce would get the backing and control needed to completely restructure the club.

Guest alex

Or McKay's.

We already support Feckless Hall et al, couple of million more lost is neither here nor there. ;)

But I'm far from sure Allerdyce would get the backing and control needed to completely restructure the club.

Well, that's the thing, but I reckon he'll demand it and he'll leave if he doesn't get it after being promised it. Far better than having a yes man like Roeder, i.e. Allardyce'll either change the club or really expose Shepherd if he doesn't get the support he needs to do this.

Or McKay's.

We already support Feckless Hall et al, couple of million more lost is neither here nor there. :P

It would highlight the problem if Allardyce didn't succeed here (if he DOES come here at all that is). If Roeder fails, (as he is doing) it's harder to distinguish whether it's him or Fred's meddling. With Allardyce's better track record, the spotlight would be on the fat man a lot more.

*hopes he isn't reading....* ;)

Or McKay's.

We already support Feckless Hall et al, couple of million more lost is neither here nor there. :P

Well, that's the thing, but I reckon he'll demand it and he'll leave if he doesn't get it after being promised it. Far better than having a yes man like Roeder, i.e. Allardyce'll either change the club or really expose Shepherd if he doesn't get the support he needs to do this.

Oh snap... ;)

While Freddy Shepherd, the Newcastle chairman, is understood to have informed Glenn Roeder at a training-ground meeting on Friday that his position was secure until the start of next season.

There is a ringing endorsement for you.

I wouldn't mind a Campbell - Curtis Davies centre half partnership.

While Freddy Shepherd, the Newcastle chairman, is understood to have informed Glenn Roeder at a training-ground meeting on Friday that his position was secure until the start of next season.

There is a ringing endorsement for you.

I wouldn't mind a Campbell - Curtis Davies centre half partnership.

Gemmill wouldn't! ;)

After a Newcastle United campaign that can most charitably be described as underwhelming, Sam Allardyce’s sudden availability has focused minds at St James’ Park. While Freddy Shepherd, the Newcastle chairman, is understood to have informed Glenn Roeder at a training-ground meeting on Friday that his position was secure until the start of next season, options are being considered carefully.

Fabulous. That'll be next season written off as well after Ratfink has been booted out of the club 45 minutes before the close of the transfer window, after spending the clubs budget.