Allardyce set to become Newcastle boss by May 14

Jimbo

SAM ALLARDYCE is set to become Newcastle boss by May 14 — just hours after the curtain falls on the Premiership season.

Big Sam is in line to replace Glenn Roeder but under the terms of his exit from Bolton, he is not allowed to get a new job until the campaign has finished.

But as soon as the final whistle blows on Sunday May 13, Toon chairman Freddy Shepherd will swoop for Allardyce and stop Manchester City scuppering his plans.

That all spells bad news for Roeder, who is heading towards the St James’ Park exit door after failing to convince Shepherd he is the man to revive Tyneside’s fortunes.

Allardyce is seen by Toon officials as the figurehead the club needs to make inroads into the top four.

And with bitter rivals Sunderland revitalised under the inspirational Roy Keane, Shepherd is fretting at the prospect of the Black Cats becoming the North East’s biggest club.

Shepherd is wary of Roeder blowing all the summer transfer budget and is keen to talk to Allardyce, who jetted off on holiday last night.

A Toon source admitted: “Freddy isn’t being very forthcoming about Glenn’s future or any potential transfer budget and admits Sam’s availability has changed things.

“Something could be happening very soon.”

Newcastle’s lacklustre 1-0 defeat at Reading on Monday did not do Roeder’s cause any favours. And it looks likely that not even a rousing finale in the final two games against Blackburn and Watford can save his skin.

Roeder, 51, has endured a shocking run of injuries this season, with £16million Michael Owen and Shola Ameobi only just returning from long-term lay-offs.

But his failure to take a team forward that includes Kieron Dyer, Oba Martins, Scott Parker and Nicky Butt has set alarm bells ringing.

Newcastle crashed out of the UEFA Cup’s last 16 against AZ Alkmaar and will probably finish outside the top half of Premiership.

Shepherd was close to appointing Allardyce three years ago after Bobby Robson was sacked but failed to land him after he refused to leave Bolton in the lurch.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I dont think big sam is the man to get us champions league football - but i do think he's the right man to 'sort us out'.

the next manager has the huge taask of basically sorting out the clubs entire playing, scouting and coaching infrastructure.

Newcastle are focusing fully on Allardyce after poor Roeder run

Michael Walker

Thursday May 3, 2007

The Guardian

Sam Allardyce has moved to the centre of Newcastle United's radar four days after leaving Bolton Wanderers and three days after Newcastle's lacklustre defeat at Reading. That was their 12th away loss in the Premiership this season and their 16th defeat overall. It leaves the club unable to finish higher than 12th and their chairman, Freddy Shepherd, was grim-faced as he watched from the stands on Monday night.

Allied to the meek exit in the Uefa Cup at Alkmaar in March, league form has caused increasing dissatisfaction on Tyneside and there is believed to be tension between the manager, Glenn Roeder, and the boardroom. Newcastle have taken only six points from the last 27 in the Premiership, scoring just three times in those nine Premiership matches, none at St James' Park since February 10.

Should Allardyce turn up at St James' Park, Bolton would pursue Newcastle for compensation. It is said the former Bolton manager has a get-out clause in his contract that is time-sensitive and that may prove a sticking point.

Allardyce travelled to Spain for a holiday yesterday but the location hardly precludes discussions with anyone, including Newcastle. The two parties have been here before, after Sir Bobby Robson left and at the time of Graeme Souness's dismissal. Both of those departures occurred during the season and while there was no furore on Tyneside about the legitimacy of either sacking, there was annoyance about the timing.

These are decisions that continue to rankle and Shepherd is aware of the accusation about bad planning. If, as seems apparent, the board has decided Roeder is not the man to take the club forward, then Shepherd will wish to give his successor a full summer's preparation for next season, plus control of transfer policy.

These are decisions that continue to rankle and Shepherd is aware of the accusation about bad planning. If, as seems apparent, the board has decided Roeder is not the man to take the club forward, then Shepherd will wish to give his successor a full summer's preparation for next season, plus control of transfer policy.

It's about fucking time! [/hindsight]

I dont think big sam is the man to get us champions league football - but i do think he's the right man to 'sort us out'.

the next manager has the huge taask of basically sorting out the clubs entire playing, scouting and coaching infrastructure.

This tbh.

Exactly why I wanted us to lose the other night. This unspoked law that says you can't wish for a tactical result is nonsense.

It heaps more pressure on Roeder at exactly the right time and could do the club a huge favour in the long run.

Big Sam rumour will not go away

May 3 2007

By Luke Edwards, The Journal

Sam Allardyce was being heavily touted as the new manager of Newcastle United last night despite continued denials from chairman Freddie Shepherd that he is looking to replace Glenn Roeder.

Allardyce resigned as Bolton manager on Monday and has been the subject of frenzied speculation linking him with both Manchester City and Newcastle this week. Roeder insisted after the 1-0 loss at Reading - United's 16th in the league, equalling their highest number of defeats since their promotion to the Premiership in 1993 - he was not worried about the sack, but rumours remain rife that he is close to the chop.

Newcastle, though, have consistently denied Roeder's job is on line, although the pressure on him is increasing the whole time - a situation not helped by another poor result at the Madejski Stadium on Monday night.

Those close to Roeder have claimed Newcastle's manager has been told his job is safe and that plans are already under way for a summer rebuilding project, but the Allardyce speculation is undoubtedly unsettling for him.

Allardyce was also linked with the position before Graeme Souness was appointed Sir Bobby Robson's successor in 2004, although Shepherd insisted he had given the fans their choice as manager when he gave Roeder the job last summer after a successful spell as caretaker boss.

Meanwhile, Nolberto Solano has revealed his plan to end his career with Argentinean giants Boca Juniors after one final year at Newcastle United.

Solano has made an easy transition from right winger to full-back under Glenn Roeder and is still part of Newcastle's plans for next season. But the popular Peruvian, who has managed to avoid the criticism that has dogged many of his team-mates in recent weeks, is already thinking ahead and is keen to get a move back to Argentina. Former United manager Kenny Dalglish paid £2.5m to bring Solano over from Boca Juniors in 1998 and the 32-year-old wants to return.

He said: "I'm enthusiastic at the possibility of returning to Boca because I spent just a few months there and I had the bad taste of not having won anything in two seasons.

"Football offers me another chance and I'd like to return. My contract ends in 2008 and I'd like to go back to Argentina. The Boca fans are unique. I love Boca. I'd like to go back to Argentina because I love everything there: the passion, the football and the food."

While Solano is keen to return to South America after nine successful years in England, he is unlikely to play again for his country. Solano is the most popular player in Peru and has been capped 70 times, but he is not part of new coach Julio Cesar Uribe's plans.

He added: "If the coach (Julio Cesar Uribe) has not named me yet in this new era he started, it is because he doesn't consider me in his plans. I will not play in the Copa America."

Guest alex

Exactly why I wanted us to lose the other night. This unspoked law that says you can't wish for a tactical result is nonsense.

It heaps more pressure on Roeder at exactly the right time and could do the club a huge favour in the long run.

If Gullit hadn't lost to Sunderland that time, who knows what might have happened? Robson might never have arrived. Mind, I can't recall wanting to lose to Sunderland before the match ;)

If Gullit hadn't lost to Sunderland that time, who knows what might have happened? Robson might never have arrived. Mind, I can't recall wanting to lose to Sunderland before the match ;)

I was in Magalluf at the time from what I remember.

Was getting it ripped out of me at the time by a bunch of Mackem lads staying in the same place as us. Then the capitulation by Man Utd a few days later as well. :P

His planning of the club has been a total shambles one can only hope he may have been in consultation with the bloke you see sitting next to him at the match all the time - Bobby Robson should be able to give him a few pointers - all you have to do is listen Freddie

After our last two managerial appointments I refuse to get excited about this at all (not that Allardyce as manager excites me exactly anyway but it certainly would give me hope for the future again).

It would be nice to think that Robson has been pointing out a lot of where things are going wrong to Shepherd re Roeder's work, but tbh I think he's too nice and too diplomatic a bloke to stick his nose in.

Guest alex

Was getting it ripped out of me at the time by a bunch of Mackem lads staying in the same place as us. Then the capitulation by Man Utd a few days later as well. :P

Jaap Stam put Duncan Ferguson in his back pocket iirc.

If Gullit hadn't lost to Sunderland that time, who knows what might have happened? Robson might never have arrived. Mind, I can't recall wanting to lose to Sunderland before the match :P

I imagine not..... ;)

Reason enough for the fat man to never employ another dirty foreigner.... <_<

Was getting it ripped out of me at the time by a bunch of Mackem lads staying in the same place as us. Then the capitulation by Man Utd a few days later as well. <_<

Jaap Stam put Duncan Ferguson in his back pocket iirc.

Stam was a quality defender and still is doing a hell of a job at Ajax right now. Fergie definitely sold him too early, in his pomp he was far better than Ferdinand and the likes they have now.

I remember as well when they'd already done the pre-contract agreement to sign Stam for however much it was and just after they'd done it he had a shocker in two games for PSV in the Champions League and looked dodgy at times at France '98, but Fergie got it spot on with that signing. :blush:

He was no Paul McGrath though. :P

Let's do this quickly and with as little fuss as possible. Give Roeder his Academy position back as well (if he wants it).

Why? I don't get the talk of him doing an excellent job in the Academy. Regardless, we've already got someone doing his old job. Just let him leave the club all together.

For the record, I think Allardyce is a tosser but he'll sort out the club from top to bottom. Quality manager, and I really hope if we are to get rid of Roeder we do it in May and not in September. Surely Fred can't be that thick to make that mistake again?