Ferguson attacks Premier League

Craig

Manchester United boss Sir Alex Ferguson launched a scathing attack on the Premier League after their Champions League exit.

Ferguson's side exited Europe after a 3-0 semi-final loss at AC Milan on Wednesday, going out 5-3 on aggregate.

"Leagues in other countries would help their clubs no end so they can prepare properly for European nights, so there is a problem there," he said.

"We've not had much help from the Premier League."

United face Manchester City on Saturday after failing to get the derby game put back 24 hours.

He added: "Nonetheless we will be there at City on Saturday.

"The television company were quite happy to move the game to Sunday but the Premier League refused. It's an unfair decision to make us play on Saturday."

Ferguson called into question the integrity of the Premier League's policy as United's weary squad try to pick themselves up after their Champions League exit at the hands of a ruthless AC Milan side.

Victory for United at City coupled with Chelsea failing to beat Arsenal would hand Ferguson his ninth Premiership title.

"Like I said, the television was happy to move the game to Sunday but the Premier League said the integrity of the competition had to be paramount. You can work out what integrity means, but I think it was an unfair decision," said Ferguson.

"The same happened when Tottenham had to play so soon after a European match."

Ferguson, who was full of praise for AC Milan who ended United's bid for another Treble, added: "We had a gruelling test at Everton and had to run the extra mile to win that match and that wasn't easy.

"You have to learn to recover from disappointment. I think Louis Saha and Rio Ferdinand will both be fit for Saturday so there's a glimmer of hope on player availability."

Asked for his view on the prospects of a second Liverpool v AC Milan final in three years, Ferguson added: "Both teams will be fresh for the final, they will be able to rest players and prepare fully."

Source: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/t...utd/6618279.stm

How does he explain how Liverpool did it then?? ;)

If they'd got a 0-0 draw last night, he'd never have even brought this up!

Fuck off Taggart you twat.

;)

Seconded.

Aside from the comedy responses, theres a serious point of principle here and it's really important that he be taught he can't just order the FA about. It's getting out of hand the influence he tries to assert and I for one applaud their stance.

Guest alex

you remember when man u decided they were too good to play in FA cup and played in some club world cup thing -

but the following season the FA let them play in the cup again !!!!!

They didn't get much help from the FA with that one in fairness.

How does he explain how Liverpool did it then?? ;)

If they'd got a 0-0 draw last night, he'd never have even brought this up!

He probably wouldn't have been asked what he thought had contributed to his team's exit tbh

you remember when man u decided they were too good to play in FA cup and played in some club world cup thing -

but the following season the FA let them play in the cup again !!!!!

A reason why girls shouldn't watch football?

Edited by Sima

;)

Seconded.

Aside from the comedy responses, theres a serious point of principle here and it's really important that he be taught he can't just order the FA about. It's getting out of hand the influence he tries to assert and I for one applaud their stance.

This has nothing to do with the FA

;)

Seconded.

This has nothing to do with the FA

?

Guest alex

I think that, strictly speaking, the FA and the FA Premier League are two different organisations. Your point still stands though, with that slight change of emphasis.

I think that, strictly speaking, the FA and the FA Premier League are two different organisations. Your point still stands though, with that slight change of emphasis.

I'm indebted to SSH for bringing this grave error to my attention.

It's a big difference actually when you consider what the aims and motives of the Premier League were when they split from the FA

It's a big difference actually when you consider what the aims and motives of the Premier League were when they split from the FA

In the context of this thread it doesnt mean anything though. My point was simply that Fergie tries to wield undue influence and I was sloppy in my description of which body he was attempting to use it on this time.

SSH take note....

We all talk bullshit, Sammy is paid to do it though so is probably that little bit better at it than the rest of us! ;)