Glenn on Summer Signings

Scottish Mag

GLENN Roeder says that he has already identified some of his summer transfer targets and promises a busy close season at St.James' Park.

The United boss has met with chairman Freddy Shepherd in recent weeks to discuss close season signings, and Roeder admits he already has some players in mind.

Glenn told nufc.co.uk: "It will be a busy summer, I've already had meetings with the chairman and there are more meetings planned.

"I have names in mind and have been looking long and hard, the players we are targeting are very well known and include and one or two foreign players."

One of the signings of the season has been French striker Antoine Sibierski who arrived at Gallowgate on a free transfer from Man City last summer.

And the Magpies manager says that he will have no problem about bringing in players over the age of 30, should they have the right character for Newcastle United.

The 51-year-old gaffer added: "If a player over 30 has the right character then they are a good signing because they become a role model.

"Take Nicky Butt, what a great role model he has been this year.

"It's not just what you see on the pitch but what you on the training ground, the stays out and does more work after the session has finished, and a lot of young players have latched onto that.

"But I would say that we would not want to spend money on a player over 30 because they are giveaways when their contract runs out."

"If a player over 30 has the right character then they are a good signing because they become a role model.

Glenn Roeder on 17th January 2007

"I could easily go out and buy a couple of central defenders who are the wrong side of 30, but that's the road to nowhere. And if the truth were told, there are not many good 30-year-olds out there.

The 51-year-old gaffer added: "If a player over 30 has the right character then they are a good signing because they become a role model.

"But I would say that we would not want to spend money on a player over 30 because they are giveaways when their contract runs out."

Hmm, i'm thinking the words Sol and Campbell here for some reason...followed by the words leave now Roeder you moron!

Guest alex

"If a player over 30 has the right character then they are a good signing because they become a role model.

Glenn Roeder on 17th January 2007

"I could easily go out and buy a couple of central defenders who are the wrong side of 30, but that's the road to nowhere. And if the truth were told, there are not many good 30-year-olds out there.

Doesn't even realise he's doing it tbh. :panic: Fuck off man Roeder you absolute moron.

I swear I cannot stand another summer of Roeder talking shit in the papers on a daily basis and then delivering nothing.

I can't stand listening to him or his bullshit full stop. Whenever he comes on SSN etc I just switch off completely..

I go to the match with a taxi driver, he reckons he had the football journalist from the Sunday Mirror in his cab a few weeks back. Basically, this bloke says Roeder is not only the most boring manager he's ever had to interview, but if they hoy a critical question at him (ie is your job safe etc) he gives the same speech everytime, talking in the 3rd person about his brain tumour. Says they all respect him for waht he's gone through, but he uses it every time as an avoidance tactic for the 'difficult' questions. I reckon he's right.

Ive heard theres this young lad called Kuyt...

Well, so long as he spends a bit of time looking at him first....

I'm feeling depressed. :panic:

What's the last thing you'd write on a suicide note?

Away somewhere nice for the weekend?